Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #801
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've yet to see anyone chime in with actual advice about the specific problem. Just the continual suggestions of JB weld.
Again- If anyone has a manual they can share, or has any firsthand knowledge about this specific repair of a 2000-2004 DT466E I'd love to hear from you.
$19 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Internation...-/162505817751

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #802
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Noob question, up to now I've always read that the DT466 was the preferred engine. Now it seems that the thread is moving the opposite direction...

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #803
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
A "prefered" engine is one that is running, and not in need of any kind of repair. No matter the make/ model.
I too have read this engine is a good one. BUT i believe the all mechanical one is the "bulletproof" one. Im still learning too. I have been looking for a shuttle bus to convert. Then I started looking at shorties. I do think I may stick with the shuttle search( i am much more confident in my abilities in repair on more "typical" engines). BUT I am hoping beyond hope SOMETHING gives and CB gets this resolved. Personally, I would talk to anyone and everyone to find a place to work on it. Even a months rent somewhere to tow it to and work the problem. Good Luck CB!
Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #804
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
Noob question, up to now I've always read that the DT466 was the preferred engine. Now it seems that the thread is moving the opposite direction...

The pre-electronic ones were great. These "E" models not as much.
Problem is, my leg can't take sustained driving with the mechanical engines. The pedal is just too stiff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #805
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Problem is, my leg can't take sustained driving with the mechanical engines. The pedal is just too stiff.
Please tell me this isn't the only reason you chose your bus to be powered by an E. There has to be a spring or something that can be swapped out.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #806
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
A "prefered" engine is one that is running, and not in need of any kind of repair. No matter the make/ model.
I could not agree more with your statement. Specially if you are some one that doesn't know much about engines. ->ME
Does it really matter what you have under the hood as long as it takes you from point A to point B without trouble?

Charlie, although difficult, don't make a decision based on emotions. Maybe it helps to sit down and write things on paper.
Pros and cons to any decision that you make.
Regardless of it, think back when you bought your very first bus. You are more knowledgeable now.
Money comes and goes, life satisfaction is more important.
Buses, moppets, and children all bring joy (fire truck) and sorrows (dirty diapers).
Focus hard on the positive and push forward brother !

Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #807
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Please tell me this isn't the only reason you chose your bus to be powered by an E. There has to be a spring or something that can be swapped out.
It isn't the only reason, but it was a factor for sure. I've driven a few mechanical buses and the complex linkage and multiple springs make for a sore leg, especially when you try to do 8 hours on the interstate.
I wanted power, ac, and cruise control since this was to be used a lot.
Even the young guy that bought RYO said his leg was killing him when he got the bus home.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #808
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

Mine has mechanical throttle and holds it there all day long, a pleasure to drive. No stiffness either in my pedal. Now, the clutch is a bit stiff, but these are trucks with bus bodies.
Shoulda bought a CAT!

John
Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #809
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Mine has mechanical throttle and holds it there all day long, a pleasure to drive. No stiffness either in my pedal. Now, the clutch is a bit stiff, but these are trucks with bus bodies.
Shoulda bought a CAT!

John
You probably have two whole legs!
If I knew these Navistars were junk and every bit as expensive as a Cat (or more), I'd have bought a Cat. I've always heard great things about them other than repair costs. But from what I can find, the engine I have is oddly one of the more expensive medium duty engines there is to fix.
Believe me, you don't have to point out how stupid I am or how I can't get my mind straight. I know all that. But you were wrong when you said I bought this bus because of "ego". I may be talkative and very opinionated but I don't think most folks who really know me see me as egotistical. Probably, if anything, its my lack of a huge ego and brutal honesty that tend to define me. well, that and my incredibly handsome good looks.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #810
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Nichols RV has storage for 30 days at $35. Get it towed there so u dont get slapped with a huge storage fee from dealer. Even if it takes a few months to get parts/ funds/ people together to fix it, it wont be as big a hit on that wallet. Just my $.02 CB. We all wracking our brains trying to come up with anything that may help. Hell, If i lived down there i would be trying to help in person( enuff ppl and tools can fix almost anything)
Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #811
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Oddly I had a number of people jump down my throat a while back when I said the "E" versions were not as good.

Regardless, the common protocol in this type of situation is to go to the next larger component. In other words since the front and rear plates cost nearly as much as a replacement engine, the smart money is on a direct exchange of engines.

Replacement engines average about $2500, plus whatever else you need. That's a lot better than the $8000 from the dealer on an ify fix since they don't seem to know which engine they're dealing with.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #812
Bus Geek

Quote:
Nichols RV has storage for 30 days at $35. Get it towed there so u dont get slapped with a huge storage fee from dealer. Even if it takes a few months to get parts/ funds/ people together to fix it, it wont be as big a hit on that wallet. Just my $.02 CB. We all wracking our brains trying to come up with anything that may help. Hell, If i lived down there i would be trying to help in person( enuff ppl and tools can fix almost anything)
Doug
I'll have to see if they allow people to be working on vehicles in there. Namely tearing an engine apart and possibly parting the thing out.

I gotta think about this but don't really have the luxuries of time or money on my side. I was gonna use my credit card for this.
I've made 80 dollars in three weeks. Dead this time of year and most of what I made last year went to buying tools and a van.
Honestly right now, my plan has been to tow it to shauns, try to entertain him as much as possible, and see what I can do. But my gut tells me that the liners/seals are gona go at any time. Unless this front cover problem can cause antifreeze to get into the blowby without it getting into the oil.

I still don't understand why they have my estimate written for an EGR engine. Seems to me that it only serves to make it more expensive.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #813
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Oddly I had a number of people jump down my throat a while back when I said the "E" versions were not as good.

Regardless, the common protocol in this type of situation is to go to the next larger component. In other words since the front and rear plates cost nearly as much as a replacement engine, the smart money is on a direct exchange of engines.

Replacement engines average about $2500, plus whatever else you need. That's a lot better than the $8000 from the dealer on an ify fix since they don't seem to know which engine they're dealing with.
Any "more" engine that what's in it would be over what the Allison 2000 is rated for.
I'm struggling to try and figure out how I'm gonna fix a front cover. IDk if swapping engines and transmissions on this thing would at all be within my budget or skills. I know my limits.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #814
Bus Geek

Quote:
Nichols RV has storage for 30 days at $35.
Ya hear that Charlie? Get that sucker moved and get the cover off it.

By the by, how cold was it the morning it started pissing coolant? You FL peeps don't do well with gaskets and cold weather. Challenger disaster anyone? I'm old enough that I watched that shiet on tv. I remember the cameras zooming in on the icicles hanging off it. That's gotta be from the liquid oxy right? They aren't actually stupid enough to launch with all that hanging off of there if it isn't supposed to be, are they? They had delayed earlier due to thunderstorms I believe. Sure it costs money to scrub a launch but that's more important. NOPE.

That thing drove from TX just fine. You couldn't see any pin holes. I gots a $1 says the gasket is crap!!

Chris,
Any idea on the material and adverse effects of cold on it?

On an unrelated note, I my refused to start at 7° this morning. Went back out at lunch and plugged in the block heater. GFI didn't trip and I didn't see any magic smoke so here's hoping it works.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #815
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ya hear that Charlie? Get that sucker moved and get the cover off it.

By the by, how cold was it the morning it started pissing coolant? You FL peeps don't do well with gaskets and cold weather. Challenger disaster anyone? I'm old enough that I watched that shiet on tv. I remember the cameras zooming in on the icicles hanging off it. That's gotta be from the liquid oxy right? They aren't actually stupid enough to launch with all that hanging off of there if it isn't supposed to be, are they? They had delayed earlier due to thunderstorms I believe. Sure it costs money to scrub a launch but that's more important. NOPE.

That thing drove from TX just fine. You couldn't see any pin holes. I gots a $1 says the gasket is crap!!

Chris,
Any idea on the material and adverse effects of cold on it?

On an unrelated note, I my refused to start at 7° this morning. Went back out at lunch and plugged in the block heater. GFI didn't trip and I didn't see any magic smoke so here's hoping it works.
It was like somewhere in the 50s to 70's I can't recall. Wasn't terribly cold or hot that day I was wearing shorts and t shirt, IIRC.
I watched the Challenger disaster live from the playground at my elementary school.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #816
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Replacement engines average about $2500, plus whatever else you need.
You typically need a core. I don't think I ever looked up this particular engine much less the range of yrs but I want to say I saw the 8.3L reman for $4500 WITH SOMETHING FOR A WARRANTY. 6 months maybe? I don't recall but it's worth searching for your particulars. Certainly easier to pop the front cover off while it's sitting on a pallet.

At $8k you've got to be close to a brand new crate motor. Check all of your options.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #817
Bus Geek

Quote:
You typically need a core. I don't think I ever looked up this particular engine much less the range of yrs but I want to say I saw the 8.3L reman for $4500 WITH SOMETHING FOR A WARRANTY. 6 months maybe? I don't recall but it's worth searching for your particulars. Certainly easier to pop the front cover off while it's sitting on a pallet.

At $8k you've got to be close to a brand new crate motor. Check all of your options.
For around 8 grand you can get a reman longblock, maybe even with turbo and freshly painted blue oil filter.
But I'm not looking to spend more than a few grand on it at this point.
Its still gonna need thousands worth of other parts like tires, air compressor, fuel tank, etc...
Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #818
Bus Geek

Quote:
It was like somewhere in the 50s to 70's I can't recall. Wasn't terribly cold or hot that day I was wearing shorts and t shirt, IIRC.
Hmm, ... I'm sticking with gasket. AL cover on a steel mount? Different contraction rates. Enough to matter? hopefully not but 170k miles and vibrations...

Quote:
I watched the Challenger disaster live from the playground at my elementary school.
Damn youngin's. It was during a break in school. I was helping my mom put up decorations or some such in her classroom since I had the day off from HS. I was a junior in Jan of '86.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #819
Bus Nut

Quote:
For around 8 grand you can get a reman longblock, maybe even with turbo and freshly painted blue oil filter.
But I'm not looking to spend more than a few grand on it at this point.
Its still gonna need thousands worth of other parts like tires, air compressor, fuel tank, etc...
I was thinking the same thing, its not only the money on the engine but everything else that comes with it. Ones you start dropping money on the bus you will feel more obligated to continue to do so.
Good idea to calculate ALL the potential cost to getting in top shape.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #820
Bus Geek

Quote:
Hmm, ... I'm sticking with gasket. AL cover on a steel mount? Different contraction rates. Enough to matter? hopefully not but 170k miles and vibrations...

Damn youngin's. It was during a break in school. I was helping my mom put up decorations or some such in her classroom since I had the day off from HS. I was a junior in Jan of '86.
Maybe I'm remembering when my brother got in trouble for asking if it was "going to blow up" the first time we watched it after the disaster. But it was a tuesday. Maybe you had a snow day??