Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Saw this at salvage yard 88 ward?

I saw this at my favorite junkyard and asked about it. The mechanic thought it had a bad head gasket. It's a 1988. 213k miles. it looks pretty solid except for a rusty bottom step. Is it an easy to work on diesel?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

yellowxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
looks like a DT360? one of my busses is a DT360, that enginecanbe rebuilt in-frame without removing from the bus. if there is coolant in the oil its most like;ly a leaking cylinder sleeve liner seal.

could still be a head gasket.. if its been over-heated, the cylinder sleeve liner seals will leak..

I love the DT360, its the little cousin to the DT-466.. all mechanicaland you *can* turn them up some..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
What you show there is *NOT* an "1988 Ward"; it is properly an International with a Ward body. More specifically, when you go to get engine parts and tell the parts clerk "Hi, I have an '88 Ward School Bus", they will not be able to look up parts for it, as Ward did not build the engine and mechanicals. International did, they will look that up instead.

It's hard for me to ID that engine but it look like a straight-6 arrangement, perhaps a DT360 as Christopher suggested. I'd buy it if the price is right, even if it does need a rebuild, it's not terribly expensive nor difficult to do (time-consuming, maybe, but not overly hard). Parts for those engines should be fairly plentiful and easy to find; IH built them for many years.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
That's a either a dt360 or dta360 (aftercooled). And like Cadillac said it can me rebuilt in the frame. It's a wet sleeve design so the piston sleeve can be replaced as opposed to removing the block and having it bored. I love our dta360. I would say if it's 2k or less I would jump on it.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipoffools View Post
That's a either a dt360 or dta360 (aftercooled). And like Cadillac said it can me rebuilt in the frame. It's a wet sleeve design so the piston sleeve can be replaced as opposed to removing the block and having it bored. I love our dta360. I would say if it's 2k or less I would jump on it.
this one doesnt appear to have the turbo cooler.. you can see the turbo pipe going from the turbo directly over the top of the valve cover to the intake.

the turbo on these is on the passenger side mounted to the exhaust manifold.. and the intake is on the driver side.

you could gain a few HP by installing a turbo cooler..

the IHC split-radiator system actually works and has plenty of cooling for these DT-360s.. ive run my DT360. over the mountains foot to the floor in 95 degree heat. with an AT545 and the A/C on and im lucky to see it hit 195-200. I clocked my fan clutch is all ive done..

I dont go fast in the hills but i go...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I'll ask him what he's looking to get for it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
yellowxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Adding an intercooler can add as much as 15% to both HP & MPG. A very good investment.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote