Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The 466 is a longer engine and the firewall may have to be cut to allow room for it to fit. Many trucks and some buses have different firewalls to allow for this, some even have a small "doghouse" to allow access to the back of the engine for maintenance.

If I were to swap engines, I'd skip the 466 and install something even bigger, since I'm already going to all the trouble for an engine swap. Maybe an ISX Cummins (which can be had in versions up to 600 HP from the factory.)
Absolutely!
If swapping, go class 8.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:40 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Class 8 is in a school bus frame isn’t a swap, it’s a re engineer, much larger physically than a 466.. things like weight distribution , rear end, frame strength, under hood temps, cooling , axles , height, width, accessory drive, etc all come into lay because it was never a factory option on a chassis close to a school bus, not that it can’t be done, but it isn’t a swap, it is a complete custom build.. sounds fun but guys can build mechanical 466s for 450hp pretty easily.. of course you still got to be concerned about what tranny, rear, axles, cooling , drive shafts to put behind it but I dare say it’s likely easier than a class 8 build. With E engines it’s tougher to get more than 300/660 just because of the computer.. bigger injectors and turbos will net you more power but without a dyno rub there’s no data on what the true torque curve looks like.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:12 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I had so briefly thought of a tractor trailer engine, but then thought of what will the front axle hold, the rear is not likely to take the power so change that, and the list goes on. The 466 is the most logical answer. I am leaning towards an 8.3 though. Find a junk truck with one, and old enough to not have a computer.

Funny though first thing I do to an old gas engine is put fuel injection on it.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Delete this pleass
Old 03-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Are you running TBI on your 345? Do you burn your own chips for it?

I like the E engines.. the fact I raise my HP from 190 to 250 with a mouse click is intriguing .. then with bigger injectors and hollowed exhaust, upgrades cooling I can get 300 without issue is really nice..
plus now I’m really integrating my trans correctly to engine and getting really precise shift scheduling, I’m even working on software even the most advanced trucks don’t have yet like GPS topo for grade and hill anticipation for proper gearing and throttle response..
Christopher
Old 03-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Yes TBI on the 345. It is the old Holley projection system. There are 5 dials on the front of the ecm so it can be tuned for each range. It is tuned without an oxygen sensor, then once tuned you connect the oxygen sensor. I find it works very well. However it tends to be looked upon poorly. The throttle body is based on GM units. It has two 2" throttle bores, and I have machined the intake to match it. This makes a better flowing intake as the runners are a reasonable size, but the factory carb is 1 9/16". There is enough "meat" in the manifold to bore it out without hitting any water passages. I block filled the exhaust heat crossover.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I had so briefly thought of a tractor trailer engine, but then thought of what will the front axle hold, the rear is not likely to take the power so change that, and the list goes on. The 466 is the most logical answer. I am leaning towards an 8.3 though. Find a junk truck with one, and old enough to not have a computer.

Funny though first thing I do to an old gas engine is put fuel injection on it.
Sounds like a plan, man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #48
Bus Geek

I fuel injected alotr of my GM gas engines... I mega-Squirted one.. that was probably the hardest build.. did TPI on others.. since they were GM small blocks, finding Multi-port manifolds that flow well was easy either in stock form or aftermarket.. im guessing such a manifold for a 392 is probablt non existent.. so I either need to go TBI (some type of 4 BBL) or stick with a carb.. I like running electronic timing curves much better than springs / weights.. so I could possiubly go hybrid by keeping the carb and installing an electronic distributor.. it looks like I could use a DUI distributor in it..
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

A DUI distributor might be my next step. I have a pertronix ignition in now. I can see the timing bounce a little with the timing light. So want to get that perfected a bit better.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

The manifold on my 392 is badly rusted in the exhaust crossover. Might be a good one to play with, to braze in ports for tpi.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #51
Bus Geek

I need to inspect mine closer and see how it looks inside.. I havent had it off the engine. I know my carb runs lean but vacuum is good so im guessing it was tuned for the 5000+ feet the bus lived at most of its life.. I just need to drop new jets and metering rods in it... (or use that spare 4105 carb ive had new in the box for 10 years)

it ran beautiful at high elevations, at low altitude its definitely lean.
-Christopher
Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Antifreeze refill tank location on a MB900 Diesel engine:

I have 2007 MB900 engine and want to top of the coolant after removing the heaters and rerouting the lines into themselves. Where on the engine is the tank to top off the antifreeze? Looking at the engine from the front I've located a reservoir tank on the top left side of the engine but the cap does not want to come off. It does have an overflow line from the radiator I want to be sure this is the proper place to put in the antifreeze which was drain out when I remove the rear heater. Any help would be appreciated and if you have pics that would be even better. Thanks
Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #53
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I fuel injected alotr of my GM gas engines... I mega-Squirted one.. that was probably the hardest build.. did TPI on others.. since they were GM small blocks, finding Multi-port manifolds that flow well was easy either in stock form or aftermarket.. im guessing such a manifold for a 392 is probablt non existent.. so I either need to go TBI (some type of 4 BBL) or stick with a carb.. I like running electronic timing curves much better than springs / weights.. so I could possiubly go hybrid by keeping the carb and installing an electronic distributor.. it looks like I could use a DUI distributor in it..
I did put a DUI distributor on. What a difference. Also put an O2 meter on to see what the tbi system is doing. Was able to tune it much better and did need to go even leaner to get 14.7 at cruising speed.