Old 03-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
215 is likely all you will see in a shorty with an allison 2000. as I think thats the rating for that trans in stock form....

only reason i have mine Pumped way up(250HP.. my new ECM will allow 300. but im not that brave yet) from that is because my trans is "built" for performance applications.. otherwise you have to be careful... that said, allison tends to very conservatively rate transmissions so you can usually feed them much more power than the plate says and you wont trash them unless you do stupid stuff..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I was told the same by the Allison folks. According to one tech, their trannies are de-rated as much as 20-25%! That is a crazy huge difference!

But be advised...they use the lower, posted rating for any "issues".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I was told the same by the Allison folks. According to one tech, their trannies are de-rated as much as 20-25%! That is a crazy huge difference!

But be advised...they use the lower, posted rating for any "issues".

allison wouldnt likely want to see anything inside my trans.. since essentially the aftermarket builders (with good reputations).. have Bullet-proofed these things and updated any issues that they typically had... while I couldve saved a good bit of $$ by finding a used trans, I chose to go out and get a fresh built one that is built to handle much more than my T-444E even pumped up can throw at it.. thus far at somewhere close to 30K+ miles in it just works when I put it in D... albeit I still am learning about it's complex electronic controls.. but I definitely recommend purpose-building and paying some attention to the ratings on the labels..

the other reality is that allison has come up with their own updates over the years.. Tango's 2200 that he bought a few years ago is much different inside than when it first released as a 6 speed in 2006.. which is also much different than the 2200 that was released in 2001...

if you are mechanically Savvy, allison's arent really too hard to re-clutch should you need to.. and a lot of youtube videos and publications exist for anyone who wants to rebuild their own allison..

if you Nuke an AT545, its not bad at all to buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it.. esp if it is simply slipping or shifting wierd..

-Christopher
Old 03-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #34

I don't have a bus yet but have been doing my research before buying a 1/2 size full chassis (shortie). I wonder how feasible it would be to swap out to take larger (better) engine. First of all are the mounts in the same location for a DT466 as a T444? Of course I would think you would need to swap the transmission too or are they some what universal. I would be surprised if they were but I am new to diesel engines so forgive my ignorance.
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorzie View Post
I don't have a bus yet but have been doing my research before buying a 1/2 size full chassis (shortie). I wonder how feasible it would be to swap out to take larger (better) engine. First of all are the mounts in the same location for a DT466 as a T444? Of course I would think you would need to swap the transmission too or are they some what universal. I would be surprised if they were but I am new to diesel engines so forgive my ignorance.
You can swap to a 466 from a 444.
But its WAY easier to just buy a bus with the engine you want.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You can swap to a 466 from a 444.
But its WAY easier to just buy a bus with the engine you want.

The 466 is a longer engine and the firewall may have to be cut to allow room for it to fit. Many trucks and some buses have different firewalls to allow for this, some even have a small "doghouse" to allow access to the back of the engine for maintenance.

If I were to swap engines, I'd skip the 466 and install something even bigger, since I'm already going to all the trouble for an engine swap. Maybe an ISX Cummins (which can be had in versions up to 600 HP from the factory.)
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #37

600hp now your talking.

Yea I did not think of the length difference between an inline 6 compared to a v8.

I plan on getting a bus with decent engine to start with, I hope. At least there are a couple of diesel mechanics in my sons scout if needed for the big jobs or questions.
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Engine swaps are a real possibility BUT it takes time, money and especially if changing to something different a bit of skill fabbing stuff. It does help if you choose something that was a factory option.

Also think about where you would do an engine swap, a shop is always best, back yard not so good....

Yes a bus with the desired engine is always the best.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #39
Bus Geek

a friend of mine swapped a V8 7.3 IDI for a DTA360 in his S1700.. there are several considerations in going from a V-8 diesel to an inline 6.

1. mating up your transmission, your flexplate / and or flywheel on the new engine need to be the type that will fit your transmission.. unless you are moving the trans too.. the trans dipstick will be a different length as well.

2. driveshaft length will be different. as the trans sits firther back on the DT.

3. electronics.. they are very different on a DT-466E from the T-444E (my buddy went mewchanical to mechanical so fuel line routing was his only issue.. but on the 'E' series electronics are a real concern.. you'll need the computer from the new engine.. and the wiring harnesses are greatly different despite the ECM part numbers being the same..

4. Firewall will need to be cut.. its not a bad job as it is pretty easy marked once you take the factory insulation out, you can see where the lines are for a DT vs no cut (conventional bus)

5. remove the driver area flooring and pull the body to chassis floor adapter plate and replace with the one from the DT466's donor bus and then replace down the plywood and driver floor.. this gives your doghouse something to bolt to.

6. doghouse - easy snag the one from the donor bus.

7. fuel line routing and trans cooler lines will likely be different fro the DT vs the T-444E.

8. TCM - if your trans is electronic you may need a different TCM or Allison CIN file loaded to better match the torque and HP curve of a I-6 vs V-8

my buddy did it on his all mechanical bus. and swapped from an AT545 to a specier 5 speed with an aux 4 speed at the same time so he had a lot of mechanical work, but never looked back.. that bus runs fantastic... (txstreetman Dual stick thomas)
-Christopher
Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #40
Almost There

Where I drive we have a spare bus. With 6 seats and a wheel chair lift .
( don’t you guys call this a 6 window bus?)
Anyway it has a full size Freightliner chassis 30K GVW. Air ride rear axle, air brakes,22.5. Wheels.
It even has a 3126 cat, And AT.
(I’ve never driven it but word has it that it will pull a even 80 MPH.)
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote