Old 03-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #1

Short Bus Engines

Hey Everybody!

I have been digging around trying to find my dream short bus. I've seen a few gems but researching these engines seems to always leave me a little deflated. I see the DT466 in many larger buses but I personally feel a little hesitant to go for the big bus.

Are there any short buses with DT466 or Cummins, etc? Any of the legendary diesels? If not, are there any equivalent epic engines found in short buses? Thanks in advance, the research phase has me overwhelmed as I don't know much about this stuff.
johnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

From what I've seen on the forums, the bigger engines aren't often found on the short(er) buses. I think I've seen some smaller cummins engines in some short buses, but not the larger ones with the greater reputation.

There are a couple people on here who have the T444e engines, who've re-programed them and boosted the power a little bit (10hp or so) and were very happy with the results. (Enough of a boost to make a difference, not enough to kill the engine reliability/longevity.)

Someone found a shortie Freightliner with Mercedes engine spec'd for a full-size bus a month or so ago, but that's the only one people have seen like it.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
Hey Everybody!

I have been digging around trying to find my dream short bus. I've seen a few gems but researching these engines seems to always leave me a little deflated. I see the DT466 in many larger buses but I personally feel a little hesitant to go for the big bus.

Are there any short buses with DT466 or Cummins, etc? Any of the legendary diesels? If not, are there any equivalent epic engines found in short buses? Thanks in advance, the research phase has me overwhelmed as I don't know much about this stuff.

I would look for something with a Cummins 5.9, aka the 6BT, aka the ISB in later models. I am a big fan of this engine, and while it may be a bit undersized for the full size rig I'm looking for, it is perfect for a 1/2 size or shorty. There are some really awesome FE "stubbys" out there that give you the best of both worlds. like this one:

https://www.aaabussales.com/10718.html
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #4

Thank you! I will check this out
Old 03-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled
Old 03-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
Hey Everybody!

Cummins, Cat, Navistar... Pick your flavor. Up till 2004 they're all decent. Brand loyalty gets nothing with these beasts.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have seen a number of DT466 equipped 6 windows.

That would be my focus if I were shopping for a shorty.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Yeah, my 6-window bus has the same 7.3 IDI you might find in a bigger International bus of the same year. But there are shorties and there are shorties, right? Mine's a short version of a dognose bus, not a van cutaway. And just remember that gearing matters, too; despite a lower vehicle weight, my bus doesn't end up with more speed -- it goes about 60mph at 3000 rpm.
desertfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I cruise my red shorty with the 'E' 7.3, aka powerstroke 7.3 cousin, T-444E, etc.. its a full chassis shorty.. I drive that thing all over the country(just finished a 2700 mile trip) despite people telling me its a "pickup truck engine".. im over 182K miles now and it still runas good and starts in the cold weather easily.. I cranked up the Juice on mine so it even climbs mountains pretty good now.. I like it well enough that if / when i ever blow it up i'd build / rebuild / or drop another T-444E right back in....

ive had a brand new set of stage 1 injectors to put ion it for a year.. the originals are still in it and one or 2 is a bit "lazy" when the engine is cold.. I can hear them they sound diferent.. injectors on the E powerstroke or T-444E are probably the single biggest expense people have to do to them seemingly somewhere in the 175-225k range... although there are plenty running fine on original injectors well past that..

totally agree with ECCB's post that most of the reliable solid diesels were built before the 04 / 05 first stage emissions went into effect.. where IH got EGR, and CAT went ACERT.. that started the downfall of many

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
from when I was doing my research...Ö.everyone advised me to stay the heck away from the Ford 6.0 Litre diesels. I see them advertised cheap but maybe that's why. I got a 2013 GMC 6 litre Gas V8......easy cruising / mileage is about 15/16 mpg
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote