Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Mid Bus, Inc Ohio
Chassis: GMC Savanna 3500
Engine: 5.7 Vortec, GMC
Rated Cap: 22
Short Bus Work Truck Conversion

I have a 2001 GMC Savanna cutaway with a Mid Bus 5 window body. I bought this bus for $4200 and drove it from the middle of PA to the middle of VA. Didn't miss a beat. 82000+ on the clock.
Has anyone else converted a short bus into a carpentry work truck? I'm trying to get some ideas of how to proceed. Save windows? Lose windows? Black out windows? I'd like to save a couple rear ones for the flow through ventilation!
I am going to install an exterior hook up for electrical to run an air compressor and microwave (gotta eat lunch!)
I'll post photos when I figure how how.

Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if I was making a work van i would want to lose or at least but bars over the windows and maybe some type of shades to block the view... seems expensive carpentry tools would be a theft target.. although if yours is a school bus instead of a shuttle the windows are less-easy to get inside of since they are smaller and higher..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if I was making a work van i would want to lose or at least but bars over the windows and maybe some type of shades to block the view... seems expensive carpentry tools would be a theft target.. although if yours is a school bus instead of a shuttle the windows are less-easy to get inside of since they are smaller and higher..

-Christopher
Yes, mine is a school bus. I had thought about blacking out the bottom half of the windows. Might be nice to have the light and ability to open the tops for air flow. I need to find a source for window steel safety screen for the big windows on the back door.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Photos

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...albums962.html
Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Yes, mine is a school bus. I had thought about blacking out the bottom half of the windows. Might be nice to have the light and ability to open the tops for air flow. I need to find a source for window steel safety screen for the big windows on the back door.
I originally had the idea of a mobile wood shop and another as a mobile welding shop.
For the wood shop windows you could use full sheets of expanded metal cut in half 2'x8' and secure to the outside with security screws.
I would also reccomend a dust collection system for the saw benches.
I did most of my finished trim in the timber framing style with a skill saw and router during the winter inside my bus and spent as much time cleaning up as I did finishing.
Great idea.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

[QUOTE=Jolly Roger;
For the wood shop windows you could use full sheets of expanded metal cut in half 2'x8' and secure to the outside with security screws.

Great idea.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts too! I've scoured the internet in search of other buses set up for work and have found none! Looks like they'd be more interest in this style of conversion as a bus will haul a lot of weight.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Build what works for you!
Your ideas are what you want and only you can make them work?
This forum is great for opinions,advice on what there choices are and I like it for ideas on my choice.
You make your own decisions man roll with it!
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
It's a little late-but you probably would have been better off with a cube van. The size of the back door is going to be a major hinderance. As a matter of fact, I bought my short bus from a guy that got it for his dry ice blasting company. The size of the door is why he got rid of it.
A cube van and a shortie are the same underneath-but the cube has more headroom + a roll up door.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
It's a little late-but you probably would have been better off with a cube van. The size of the back door is going to be a major hinderance. As a matter of fact, I bought my short bus from a guy that got it for his dry ice blasting company. The size of the door is why he got rid of it.
A cube van and a shortie are the same underneath-but the cube has more headroom + a roll up door.
Well maybe, but I made sure before I bought it that my stuff would fit. Careful measurements make all the difference. My work van back doors allow 4' of clearance. The bus back door allows 3' of clearance. So I give up a foot of clearance to be able to stand up to get tools, and have lunch in my bus! A microwave is going in too.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
I would build a step bumper and have a fold down set of steps. And pad over the door. And learn to duck! I once jammed my neck so bad jumping out in a hurry I had to go to a chiropractor.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Already has a factory cushion over the door. I'm going to build a metal diamond plate 12" x 24" fold up step and weld it to the flat factory bumper. Reason for folding up is I may add a Reese receiver eventually.
I'll post pictures to my album when the work begins. Finding the time to work on it is the hardest thing!