Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 05:15 AM   #1

Short skoolie - California

Hey team

Have been watching the skoolie community for a while as I am planning to do a road trip for 6 months with a group of friends. We will be flying to California from New Zealand and I am wondering how easy it will be to find a bus ASAP. Should I attempt to buy online before we land or just find one once there?

Will be landing in may, looking for a <6 window diesel shorty, any advice massively appreciated, cheers!

kaleb_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:40 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb_w View Post
Hey team

Have been watching the skoolie community for a while as I am planning to do a road trip for 6 months with a group of friends. We will be flying to California from New Zealand and I am wondering how easy it will be to find a bus ASAP. Should I attempt to buy online before we land or just find one once there?

Will be landing in may, looking for a <6 window diesel shorty, any advice massively appreciated, cheers!
Good luck and enjoy your adventure

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds fun. Personally, I won't invest in anything I have not had the chance to examine in person. But that's just me.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Are you shopping the auctions or intending to buy from a private individual? Are you looking for a completed skoolie or planning to build one from scratch?

Sounds like a great adventure with friends. It also sounds like you don't have time to build a bus so maybe you're planning on the basic metal tent type of camper? Throw out the seats and build a few bunks and a table.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
Skoolie

Are you going to sell it when it’s time to get back on the plane? If that’s the case I’d go with a diesel powered shuttle bus. There’s more of them for sale than short buses so they tend to be cheaper. Use it like ya stole it and sell what’s left when it’s time to go. A Ford with the 7.3 would be a solid choice.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Are you shopping the auctions or intending to buy from a private individual? Are you looking for a completed skoolie or planning to build one from scratch?

Sounds like a great adventure with friends. It also sounds like you don't have time to build a bus so maybe you're planning on the basic metal tent type of camper? Throw out the seats and build a few bunks and a table.
Metal tent haha, exactly what we were thinking, do many people do this? What problems should I expect paper work wise if this is all we do? Really wanting to hit the ground running on the bare minimum

We looked at hiring a rv or something along those lines but that’s crazy money. We would be better off buying something with the intention of not getting our money back at the end.

I’ll have a look into shuttle buses, cheers for all the replies guys!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Another question, is there some sort of service that would pick a bus up if I bought one now from say Phoenix and park it in storage in LA!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Yes, there are paperwork issues.

WIthout a US driving license and address you can't register a vehicle. So that means you either need family who live here, or an agent who would do it for you.

Once you have fixed that the rest should be straightforward.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Yes, there are paperwork issues.

WIthout a US driving license and address you can't register a vehicle. So that means you either need family who live here, or an agent who would do it for you.

Once you have fixed that the rest should be straightforward.
I know some will yell at me for this but this is the way it is.....

In Washington state you can, if you choose to, get a drivers license and register a car without any proof of citizenship, legal residency or insurance. You also have the option of registering to vote at the same time.

If you secure a place to work on the bus and can receive mail there then you can register a vehicle there regardless of citizenship.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I know some will yell at me for this but this is the way it is.....

In Washington state you can, if you choose to, get a drivers license and register a car without any proof of citizenship, legal residency or insurance. You also have the option of registering to vote at the same time.

If you secure a place to work on the bus and can receive mail there then you can register a vehicle there regardless of citizenship.
[emoji850]

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 AM   #11

Alright thanks guys! How much do agents cost and does anyone know any in LA? Washington sounds ideal but real keen to start in LA and work our way up

Tags
short bus