Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #21
Skoolie

The smell of diesel fuel gives me a headache in minutes, the thing is, is that if there are no leaks you don’t have the raw fuel smell. My little bus just arrived day before yesterday and I’ve been chasing a small leak since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach Camp View Post
I love my short bus. It uses gas. The smell of diesel makes me sick, doesn't it bother anyone else.
I have nothing against shuttles. I would also especially like regular passenger door and co-pilot seat. The price of school buses at auction, combined with the solid construction and maintenance history convinced me of my choice.
I still plan to get work done on it this spring. I still only use it as a tin can tent.
I also don't want to stay at ritzy places.
We are all woods and beach campers. I have still not renamed the Pearl even though I did consider the "Lumberjack" suggestion.
Hi Skoolies!

RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by souweeetttt_easy View Post
I'm just starting work on my gasser e450 V10 shuttle bus, but I have a couple pointers.

1. Mine is the fiberglass/cardboard construction which at first I wasn't a huge fan of, but it's extremely lightweight and actually adds 1" of insulation (albeit poor insulation.)

2. I was getting about 8-11mpg before I removed the wheelchair lift and seats and before I added any weight. Not sure what the net weight will be after.

3. Mine has three emergency exit windows that hinge at the top and swing out, so keep an eye out for those. (1) on each side and (1) enormous 6ft window at the back of the bus. I actually moved both side windows to the left of the bus so that I have two big windows that open out over my kitchen area!

4. Don't even look at anything over 300k. I talked with a mechanic that worked for FedEx on these chassis and he said they die at around 400k. I lucked out and got a '99 with only 50k, so keep your eyes out, these things are everywhere!

Safe journeying!
What MPG are you getting now? I'm about to get e450 V-10.
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford Econoline e450
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiW View Post
What MPG are you getting now? I'm about to get e450 V-10.
I haven't driven it much in the past year, but after adding a bed, kitchen, wood stove, etc. I think I was getting around 10mpg. I realized I was driving with a full water tank, which def dropped me down to 8-9 range.
souweeetttt_easy is offline   Reply With Quote