Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #1

Shotgun rider

Has anyone set up a "passenger seat" in the front. I am assuming there is a floor that needs to be built over the steps and access to the pull door is cut off. Not a problem with the side wheel chair door. I guess what I need info on is how to create a suitable floor and mounting surface for a seat and seat belts (safety first). If anyone has done this, I would love some pictures and advice. Thanks.

newdude442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There are several people that have added the shotgun seats. One was just recently. We'll have to wait for one of them to find your question here.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Depends on the bus in question.

Mine for instance is an E350 based shuttle which has just enough room for a passenger seat to be installed without completely blocking the side entrance door.

How is the floor designed? Is it flat? First things first... you'll need to have a flat mounting surface for the most part. You can build it up with wood if need be. The mounting base for the seat will need to be fully supported. Bolts will go down through the mount... through what ever subfloor you build (needs to be solid).. through the sheetmetal floor. You can use large washers or flat bar between pairs of bolts. You'll want to spread the load as best you can across the sheetmetal. When you run the bolts down, you'll be sandwiching everything together between the seat base and the washers or flat bar.

If you can, get a passenger seat from a full size SUV. Most of them have seat belts built directly into the seat itself so as long as the seat is mounted solid.. you've got nothing to worry about.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
We left a single seat behind the driver's seat and re-covered it to be a bit more comfy. I didn't see any reasonable way to add a passenger seat up front that wouldn't either block the entrance or be an awful seat!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
Bus Geek

I decided I didn't need a driving assistant that close. I get enough driving advice from the back seats.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I decided I didn't need a driving assistant that close. I get enough driving advice from the back seats.
I'm a bit strange. I like to talk to my wife as we travel, even on the motorcycle.

The rear engine will help with that.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
We are big fans of the Sena SMH10 helmet communicators. Worth every penny!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
We are big fans of the Sena SMH10 helmet communicators. Worth every penny!
That's what I use.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Understood. On the other end of the scale, you should understand why some of us insist of FE buses. There is solace in the roar of the engine.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I'm holding out for the woman I can have long conversations with. My first wife was Japanese, and barely spoke English. Since I met her at a Dead show, she impressed me enough to marry her.
"Really? You flew from Tokyo to NY, took a bus to Chicago, caught up with the tour in Wisconsin, hitchhiked the tour to Indiana (where I met her) and then Ohio (where we met again), just to see what this is all about? YOU are my kind of girl!" Never thought I would actually "marry;" long term hang-out preferred, but marry? Her and her friend (another Japanese girl) hopped in my car and we finished the tour together.
I joked to myself that at least I didn't have to engage in meaningless conversation, since the language barrier.

Still, I left the front two seats in my bus for the next woman of my dreams. The folding door stays. Too useful...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Traveling

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I'm holding out for the woman I can have long conversations with. My first wife was Japanese, and barely spoke English. Since I met her at a Dead show, she impressed me enough to marry her.
"Really? You flew from Tokyo to NY, took a bus to Chicago, caught up with the tour in Wisconsin, hitchhiked the tour to Indiana (where I met her) and then Ohio (where we met again), just to see what this is all about? YOU are my kind of girl!" Never thought I would actually "marry;" long term hang-out preferred, but marry? Her and her friend (another Japanese girl) hopped in my car and we finished the tour together.
I joked to myself that at least I didn't have to engage in meaningless conversation, since the language barrier.

Still, I left the front two seats in my bus for the next woman of my dreams. The folding door stays. Too useful...

That must have been some WILD ride. Those were some crazy fun shows back in the day.

Was she impulsive otherwise?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

That must have been some WILD ride. Those were some crazy fun shows back in the day.

Was she impulsive otherwise?
Actually, she was very tame (wild I guess for a Japanese woman). That was 2003, with Jimmy Herring on lead and Joan Osborn on co-vocals. Best lineup since Jerry. Saw every show but one that year (2nd one in VA Beach, my truck broke down), and then missed most of the last 5 at Jones Beach since they announced and released tickets to them after I was on tour, and I didn't hear about them until it was too late. We looked for tickets on lots since the Ohio show, but only I found 1 before I found her. I tried to give it to her friend, but they insisted I go in. Then we drove back to Niagara Falls, the most popular honeymoon spot for many years, and got spiritually married. Took her back to NY 2 days later, and 3 months later she came back, and 3 months after that we legally married so she could stay. Got to see the band with her for New Years 2003-4 in Oakland(?), and the house band from the old Motown label opened. They had NEVER, EVER played a live concert before. Nearly every Motown artist had them in their recordings. IT WAS AWESOME. We were the luckiest audience ever. Then The Dead came on, Joan was presented with a "Joan Zone" tshirt from a fan, and they really shined.

Yea, she said she was a little impulsive; she said so. One of my favorite memories of meeting her was Saratoga. No camping available, hotels all full, except for the master suite in a nice high-rise, one Cali-king bed. I tried to be polite and sleep on the floor, but they both insisted I share the bed. She was in my arms all night. But the desk-clerk's look in the morning when I left with two beautiful Japanese girls that barely spoke English that were not acting like call-girls....

I still miss her.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Understood. On the other end of the scale, you should understand why some of us insist of FE buses. There is solace in the roar of the engine.
I'm right in the middle. I like a CE so I get some of the engine's sounds, but not as much as the FE we had.

LOVE the story of how you met the Japanese wife!
On the "Dead". Its sad seeing what's left of the boys selling overpriced tickets and playing slow, less inspiring sets to folks holding smartphones in the air. The scene is so different now its unrecognizable to me.
Furthur 98 is when I quit going to shows. Tampa 95 was pretty awesome, though!
Funny- I was meeting up with some nice folks from this site and yellowXJ's wife was at that Tampa 95 show too. Always cool to share stories like that.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
On the "Dead". Its sad seeing what's left of the boys selling overpriced tickets and playing slow, less inspiring sets to folks holding smartphones in the air. The scene is so different now its unrecognizable to me.
Furthur 98 is when I quit going to shows. Tampa 95 was pretty awesome, though!
Funny- I was meeting up with some nice folks from this site and yellowXJ's wife was at that Tampa 95 show too. Always cool to share stories like that.
You can NEVER go home, once you leave. Things change. Adapt or die. The universe demands it. Warren Haynes is a great guitarist, but not for those boys. Herring was perfect. That was THE year after ol' four-fingers passed on. 2003.

And $$$? god I think the "Fare Thee Well" shows cost me $6000 all together, but I got a Honda Civic out of the deal (cheaper than a month of car rentals)

Yea, shows are WAY TOO MUCH now-a-days...
Paid big $$$ to see David Gilmour in Hollywood (David Crosby joined him for a song that night) and Chicago last spring. Fortunately the Kava Bar (La Hiki Ola -- check out youtube) here in town here has a wonderful open mic night, with musicians that impressed me more than many well known acts (Jerry's favorite guitartist - what's his name? - came here, and bored the poop out of me). What will I do when I go to Oregon???
Old 12-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
You can NEVER go home, once you leave. Things change. Adapt or die. The universe demands it. Warren Haynes is a great guitarist, but not for those boys. Herring was perfect. That was THE year after ol' four-fingers passed on. 2003.

And $$$? god I think the "Fare Thee Well" shows cost me $6000 all together, but I got a Honda Civic out of the deal (cheaper than a month of car rentals)

Yea, shows are WAY TOO MUCH now-a-days...
Paid big $$$ to see David Gilmour in Hollywood (David Crosby joined him for a song that night) and Chicago last spring. Fortunately the Kava Bar (La Hiki Ola -- check out youtube) here in town here has a wonderful open mic night, with musicians that impressed me more than many well known acts (Jerry's favorite guitartist - what's his name? - came here, and bored the poop out of me). What will I do when I go to Oregon???
Warren always puts on a great show.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Warren always puts on a great show.
With the Allman Bros, yes. With the Dead, I thought not, until I saw them at The Gorge in Washington in 2009; I felt the band had just adapted to him. He really is a star in his own mind, methinks.

Really miss Gregg and that Wanee thing...
Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
With the Allman Bros, yes. With the Dead, I thought not, until I saw them at The Gorge in Washington in 2009; I felt the band had just adapted to him. He really is a star in his own mind, methinks.

Really miss Gregg and that Wanee thing...
Last time I saw him was with Gov't Mule a few years ago. It was great.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
I put a passenger seat in my E350. RV Captains chair on an old van swivel mount. The slide and swivel allows maximum adjustment for ingress/egress, and seat makes an excellent "recliner" when turned to the rear. I'll post pics when holidays are over. Obviously you can no longer open/close passenger door from the driver's seat. I have a matching Captains chair and swivel I hope to one day replace the driver's seat with.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

I have an e450 goshen and am looking for a nice solution to this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
polomasta is offline   Reply With Quote