Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I'm holding out for the woman I can have long conversations with. My first wife was Japanese, and barely spoke English. Since I met her at a Dead show, she impressed me enough to marry her.
"Really? You flew from Tokyo to NY, took a bus to Chicago, caught up with the tour in Wisconsin, hitchhiked the tour to Indiana (where I met her) and then Ohio (where we met again), just to see what this is all about? YOU are my kind of girl!" Never thought I would actually "marry;" long term hang-out preferred, but marry? Her and her friend (another Japanese girl) hopped in my car and we finished the tour together.
I joked to myself that at least I didn't have to engage in meaningless conversation, since the language barrier.

Still, I left the front two seats in my bus for the next woman of my dreams. The folding door stays. Too useful...


That must have been some WILD ride. Those were some crazy fun shows back in the day.

Was she impulsive otherwise?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
Almost There
 
Mountain Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 83
Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L Cummings ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post


That must have been some WILD ride. Those were some crazy fun shows back in the day.

Was she impulsive otherwise?
Actually, she was very tame (wild I guess for a Japanese woman). That was 2003, with Jimmy Herring on lead and Joan Osborn on co-vocals. Best lineup since Jerry. Saw every show but one that year (2nd one in VA Beach, my truck broke down), and then missed most of the last 5 at Jones Beach since they announced and released tickets to them after I was on tour, and I didn't hear about them until it was too late. We looked for tickets on lots since the Ohio show, but only I found 1 before I found her. I tried to give it to her friend, but they insisted I go in. Then we drove back to Niagara Falls, the most popular honeymoon spot for many years, and got spiritually married. Took her back to NY 2 days later, and 3 months later she came back, and 3 months after that we legally married so she could stay. Got to see the band with her for New Years 2003-4 in Oakland(?), and the house band from the old Motown label opened. They had NEVER, EVER played a live concert before. Nearly every Motown artist had them in their recordings. IT WAS AWESOME. We were the luckiest audience ever. Then The Dead came on, Joan was presented with a "Joan Zone" tshirt from a fan, and they really shined.

Yea, she said she was a little impulsive; she said so. One of my favorite memories of meeting her was Saratoga. No camping available, hotels all full, except for the master suite in a nice high-rise, one Cali-king bed. I tried to be polite and sleep on the floor, but they both insisted I share the bed. She was in my arms all night. But the desk-clerk's look in the morning when I left with two beautiful Japanese girls that barely spoke English that were not acting like call-girls....


I still miss her.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,196
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Understood. On the other end of the scale, you should understand why some of us insist of FE buses. There is solace in the roar of the engine.
I'm right in the middle. I like a CE so I get some of the engine's sounds, but not as much as the FE we had.

LOVE the story of how you met the Japanese wife!
On the "Dead". Its sad seeing what's left of the boys selling overpriced tickets and playing slow, less inspiring sets to folks holding smartphones in the air. The scene is so different now its unrecognizable to me.
Furthur 98 is when I quit going to shows. Tampa 95 was pretty awesome, though!
Funny- I was meeting up with some nice folks from this site and yellowXJ's wife was at that Tampa 95 show too. Always cool to share stories like that.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
Almost There
 
Mountain Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 83
Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L Cummings ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
On the "Dead". Its sad seeing what's left of the boys selling overpriced tickets and playing slow, less inspiring sets to folks holding smartphones in the air. The scene is so different now its unrecognizable to me.
Furthur 98 is when I quit going to shows. Tampa 95 was pretty awesome, though!
Funny- I was meeting up with some nice folks from this site and yellowXJ's wife was at that Tampa 95 show too. Always cool to share stories like that.
You can NEVER go home, once you leave. Things change. Adapt or die. The universe demands it. Warren Haynes is a great guitarist, but not for those boys. Herring was perfect. That was THE year after ol' four-fingers passed on. 2003.

And $$$? god I think the "Fare Thee Well" shows cost me $6000 all together, but I got a Honda Civic out of the deal (cheaper than a month of car rentals)

Yea, shows are WAY TOO MUCH now-a-days...
Paid big $$$ to see David Gilmour in Hollywood (David Crosby joined him for a song that night) and Chicago last spring. Fortunately the Kava Bar (La Hiki Ola -- check out youtube) here in town here has a wonderful open mic night, with musicians that impressed me more than many well known acts (Jerry's favorite guitartist - what's his name? - came here, and bored the poop out of me). What will I do when I go to Oregon???
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,196
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
You can NEVER go home, once you leave. Things change. Adapt or die. The universe demands it. Warren Haynes is a great guitarist, but not for those boys. Herring was perfect. That was THE year after ol' four-fingers passed on. 2003.

And $$$? god I think the "Fare Thee Well" shows cost me $6000 all together, but I got a Honda Civic out of the deal (cheaper than a month of car rentals)

Yea, shows are WAY TOO MUCH now-a-days...
Paid big $$$ to see David Gilmour in Hollywood (David Crosby joined him for a song that night) and Chicago last spring. Fortunately the Kava Bar (La Hiki Ola -- check out youtube) here in town here has a wonderful open mic night, with musicians that impressed me more than many well known acts (Jerry's favorite guitartist - what's his name? - came here, and bored the poop out of me). What will I do when I go to Oregon???
Warren always puts on a great show.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
Almost There
 
Mountain Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 83
Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L Cummings ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Warren always puts on a great show.
With the Allman Bros, yes. With the Dead, I thought not, until I saw them at The Gorge in Washington in 2009; I felt the band had just adapted to him. He really is a star in his own mind, methinks.

Really miss Gregg and that Wanee thing...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,196
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
With the Allman Bros, yes. With the Dead, I thought not, until I saw them at The Gorge in Washington in 2009; I felt the band had just adapted to him. He really is a star in his own mind, methinks.

Really miss Gregg and that Wanee thing...
Last time I saw him was with Gov't Mule a few years ago. It was great.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #18
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Winnemucca, NV/Reno NV
Posts: 178
Year: 1980
Coachwork: Gillig 1980, 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: 636/E350
Engine: Cat 3208 NA/7.3
Rated Cap: 78
I put a passenger seat in my E350. RV Captains chair on an old van swivel mount. The slide and swivel allows maximum adjustment for ingress/egress, and seat makes an excellent "recliner" when turned to the rear. I'll post pics when holidays are over. Obviously you can no longer open/close passenger door from the driver's seat. I have a matching Captains chair and swivel I hope to one day replace the driver's seat with.
__________________
If it isn't grown, it has to be mined
http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...Winnemucca.gif
elkoskoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie
 
polomasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 12
I have an e450 goshen and am looking for a nice solution to this as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
polomasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.