Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBusTreatery View Post
Thanks for this opinion!

I actually prefer the pre-turbo PSD because of it being easier to convert to WVO. I definitely want to learn about that.

As far as the rust goes, this may sound like a dumb question but how does one go about fixing frame rust?
By avoiding buying one with frame rust.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
many conversions do not have framework insulation and are lived in just fine. This one does have some basic board insulation around the body, but I would be upgrading it before doing a full-time winter in the bus. I have two dogs I have to think about, I can just put more blankets on but they didn't choose this.
I doubt they are lived in just fine, people who have them rationalize so they don't reveal their mistake. If it's not correctly insulated it is not going to be comfortable to live in. My point was that if you plan on doing more insulation, then the current build you are paying for will need to be dismanteled and redone.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
I know the previous owners did some of this with the subfloor. Do you know about how much I'd be looking at to replace the frame of one of these bad boys?
If this bus is in need of "frame replacement" due to rust run, don't walk, away as quickly as possible without looking back! Seriously, there are many other busses out there needing little to no rust repair. You just need patience and perseverance to find the right one.

It's just not a project for someone with limited mechanical experience to be getting themselves into.
Any reputable body shop would basically tell you the same thing.
Good luck...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I know the previous owners did some of this with the subfloor. Do you know about how much I'd be looking at to replace the frame of one of these bad boys?
Sorry no idea. But it's basically a E350/E450 with a fancy body. The "difficulty" would lie in how the body attaches to the cab and whether or not those come off together now or need to separate.
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S500
Engine: Dodge 318
The 7.3 is the International engine that Ford used from 1997-2003 in the Super Duty and Excursion, they are a beast! Mine has 589,500 miles and I redid the transmission at 200,000 and replaced injectors at 575,000. Lots of life left in her. If you’re only planning 10,000 a year you’ve found a gem
Unpluggedone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, cost, purchase, short, worth