Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
shuttle bus battery underneath ???

I have a 1997 e350 startrans shuttle bus with the coach battery underneath the passenger side of the fiberglass body. Battery has exploded and I can't read the battery specs. Anyone have a clue as to what size I should buy for a replacement? Or should it be labeled on the bus somewhere? I tried google but can't find much info.

leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

here is some reading...is this you?

1997 Ford E350 Shuttle Bus Batt. Issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

if not good resource for here
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
here is some reading...is this you?

1997 Ford E350 Shuttle Bus Batt. Issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

if not good resource for here
Not me. but I did see that while searching but not any good info in that thread.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut

This is the coach battery , not the starting battery. Can use any top post battery with an Amp/Hour rating of ??? I assume the cranking amps don't apply for coach batteries.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Most of the time, particularly if you have a diesel engine the coach and starting batteries are hooked together.

IIRC most of the time they were group 24 batteries. Some may have been group 27 batteries. There were a few models of E-350/450 chassis that had an oddball sized battery, the size of which I don't recall. I remember on a '94 E-350 I had it had the oddball sized battery. It was a different sized case which had to be special ordered. I got it from Interstate--they were the only ones that could get one in within a reasonable amount of time.

I would replace both batteries at the same time. If you don't the old battery will suck the life out of the new battery.

If there is enough room in the skirt mounted battery box I would put in a single group 31 or 8D battery and eliminate the second battery.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I'm a gas engine and the batteries are totally separated except they are charged from the same alternator. Maybe I will just take the old battery in and see what the counter guy says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Most of the time, particularly if you have a diesel engine the coach and starting batteries are hooked together.

IIRC most of the time they were group 24 batteries. Some may have been group 27 batteries. There were a few models of E-350/450 chassis that had an oddball sized battery, the size of which I don't recall. I remember on a '94 E-350 I had it had the oddball sized battery. It was a different sized case which had to be special ordered. I got it from Interstate--they were the only ones that could get one in within a reasonable amount of time.

I would replace both batteries at the same time. If you don't the old battery will suck the life out of the new battery.

If there is enough room in the skirt mounted battery box I would put in a single group 31 or 8D battery and eliminate the second battery.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post

X2

This is what we do at the shop I work at.

Anytime yo can, remove a multiple battery bank, and install one large battery.

It will last much longer.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Bus Nut

You guys aren't into isolating a starter battery? That's like, so wired into my psyche that I can't imagine living without it. Starting is the highest transient drain on a battery in its entire lifecycle, and sometimes it's not obvious when you're getting down to the magic "shoot, won't start" point. Like if it's super cold one day and it needs to crank longer? I definitely plan to run my house loads off an isolated battery. Same reason as when I plumb in the Webasto (or whatever), I take the diesel feed several inches up the tank wall - so there's always fuel for actually running the engine.

Or are we talking about different things?
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I use battery disconnects on everything. Even so, the lead acid battery's slowly drain over time.

One more reason I hate one ton van buses. Lack of common sense when built. Most here have no battery disconnect switch.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
I have a 1997 e350 startrans shuttle bus with the coach battery underneath the passenger side of the fiberglass body. Battery has exploded and I can't read the battery specs. Anyone have a clue as to what size I should buy for a replacement? Or should it be labeled on the bus somewhere? I tried google but can't find much info.
My 2 cents? I'd go with a 800cca rating...idk

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Honestly that sounds like a mess. If your rig is still in running condition I''d go to a Battery X Change or somewhere similar and let them extract the old battery and determine what it was.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #12
Bus Nut

This thread is 3 years old.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well, then nobody should get upset. And it may be three years old, but it's till on topic.