Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Shuttle Bus - factory foam wall insulation?

Build post:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/20...-3l-24176.html

My intentions from the start was to removed all interior fiberglass panels and insulate myself with polyiso foam board. However, as I got into it a bit today, I removed a window trim piece to take a look at what was behind the wall panel. Much to my surprise, it was 1" foam of some sort. Now I am rethinking my plan. The roof section for sure will be insulated, but if I leave the wall as it is, I can then add 1/2" Polyiso and then secure tongue and groove wood paneling directly to over the poly and screw to the factory fiberglass wall.

Are there any apparent flaws in my thinking that I am overlooking? This will provide me with 1.5" of insulation AND I will not have to to scrape the factory insulation out which might me a great time saver...that said, my priority is what is BEST, not what is easy. Below is a photo of the window trim:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5678.jpg   IMG_5677.jpg  

jonbobshinigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
In my Goshen, it was just plain styrofoam. The R-Value is pretty low... but if it's in good shape and there are no signs of leaks, it's certainly usable.

Keep in mind that the window frames only have so much thickness they can be used with. You'll need to come up with a way to cover the additional gap.. and use longer hardware.

Also keep in mind that most shuttles are steel framed. If you are wanting to make the wall skin structural, you'll probably want to attach to the steel frame.. not just the original skins.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
The foam insulation in my shuttle bus is adequate. the windows are what kills the insulation value of the entire envelope. just hanging blankets up to cover the windows made cold night in the teens a lot better the second night.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I will be covering a couple of the windows and for the ones I want to leave open, I will be making removable, insulated inserts. I am still deliberating how good the insulation is from the factory!
jonbobshinigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
EPS is what you've got.. an R Value - 3.8 per inch. Blue board (XPS) has an r value of 5 per inch... Polyiso is ~6.8 per inch.

EPS is bottom of the barrel as far as foam board insulation goes... But it's certainly better then nothing and may be adequate depending on where you'll be and what heat/ac you use.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote