Old 08-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I ride alot of airport and rental car shuttles.. the starcraft ones suck.. ive ridden a collins that was built solid.

I rode a trolley in davidson NC (suburb of charlotte), a few months ago. and it sounded like a T-444E so i asked the driver and he said 'howd you know'.. esp once we hit 2nd gear i knew it was an AT545.. the trolley was built on a skoolie chassis.. the trolley itself looked like it would be cumnbersome to convert.. the ceiling height was decent but some of the construction was wood.. this particular one didnt have real windows. (the driver said he loved that trolley because it ran better than their newer one .. but customers hate it because it has no A/C... he said hte newer one was built on a ford V-10 gasser chassis. and wasnt nearly as solid.. but has real glass windows and A/C so people like it better but the drivers hate it because it has a lot of rock and bounce in the suspension.. i ended up riding that one on my second ride.. the bus body over-hangs the wheels on the sides by quite a bit... the skoolie one looked more like a bus..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
I just started a new job at a shop that does vintage + upscale cars. There is still talk of the trolley that they had to do an engine job on. (454 Chevy) It had to come out in pieces! Nowhere in the playbook of "lets make something look like a trolley" does servicability come into play.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Chassis: Shuttle or Shorty. Still hunting
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14 to 24 pref
Yeah, thought it looked neat, but has to be a pain mechanically. I cant even imagine how hard to find parts. I am still leaning towards a shuttle bus. Just not easy to find one with correct combinations of my needs.....diesel, el dorado body, little rust.....but the search continues.
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the trolley I rode had a huge doghouse.. although I didnt notice any access for a hoist to get inside the bus to pluck the motor.. so getting it unseated from the mounts looked easy but not getting it out of the bus.. unless they pulled the windshield.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote