Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Shuttle Bus Vs. School Bus

Hey guys,
I'm looking into buying a bus, as of right now it most likely will be a Ford E350 shuttle bus. Reliability is obviously a big concern of mine but aside from that I'm also looking for a bus with a wheelchair lift that I can modify to carry my motorcycle with me, which is fairly light (300ish lbs). My question is...which would you guys recommend, a shuttle bus or a standard school bus and why?
Thanks in advance
Elderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,378
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado View Post
Hey guys,
I'm looking into buying a bus, as of right now it most likely will be a Ford E350 shuttle bus. Reliability is obviously a big concern of mine but aside from that I'm also looking for a bus with a wheelchair lift that I can modify to carry my motorcycle with me, which is fairly light (300ish lbs). My question is...which would you guys recommend, a shuttle bus or a standard school bus and why?
Thanks in advance
Depends on how much living you will be doing in it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: southern maine
Posts: 114
Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
i like my E350 superduty shuttle it is easy to drive/park,.. handles well for a vehicle that big,.. much like a truck,.. ive got a v8 gas 5.4 and can't complain about power.

the chair lift will pick up 800+ pounds.

parts are easy to get.

my shuttle came with a lift battery that is isolated from the start battery so a electrical system is easy to install/run 12v stuff off)
__________________
2010 ford e350 superduty v8 7 passenger bus
pbeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeggs View Post
i like my E350 superduty shuttle it is easy to drive/park,.. handles well for a vehicle that big,.. much like a truck,.. ive got a v8 gas 5.4 and can't complain about power.

the chair lift will pick up 800+ pounds.

parts are easy to get.

my shuttle came with a lift battery that is isolated from the start battery so a electrical system is easy to install/run 12v stuff off)
Good to know, thanks! and yes it seems like a very reliable and stress free vehicle compared to other options.
Elderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Depends on how much living you will be doing in it.
I dont plan on living in it full time, but I do plan on traveling for extensive amounts of time. Why would that matter?
Elderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Specifically, the narrow body Goshen f350's have caught my eye. Going to check out this one in the next day or two...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001Goshen.jpg (23.1 KB, 34 views)
Elderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,378
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado View Post
I dont plan on living in it full time, but I do plan on traveling for extensive amounts of time. Why would that matter?
I personally don't like confined spaces, so if I was to spend any length of time in it I would want something bigger rather than smaller. The more time you spend in it the more amenities you'll likely want, the more room you'll need.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I personally don't like confined spaces, so if I was to spend any length of time in it I would want something bigger rather than smaller. The more time you spend in it the more amenities you'll likely want, the more room you'll need.
Understandable, and I assumed as much. I've traveled quite a bit with friends in sprinter vans and stuff like that...I dont need much space so I'm not too concerned about a smaller area, I'm more so concerned with maneuverability, reliability, and convenience. A bigger bus is a bit more difficult in every aspect.
Elderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Thomas1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fayetteville Arkansas
Posts: 419
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Check out this thread about the same topic:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/sh...ons-21071.html
__________________
- Thomas

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
stone21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: home, washington
Posts: 52
Year: 2005
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: handy
Engine: e450 6.0
love my buttercup...

a handy bus...came with a lift...thought about removing it, but decided it might make a great barbecue deck when half deployed.
stone21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.