Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Awesome, dirt simple design that I am going to copy.

leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Nice - that's the same kind of seat we're using for a co-pilot seat! We didn't install a swivel because it sits really low since there's a step from the cab into the bus body - for us it would be pointless as there'd be no place to put your feet - I wish we didn't have that problem though! A swivel seat would have been really nice there.

Chris
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #43
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Awesome, dirt simple design that I am going to copy.
Here's a better view of the structure then !

dirt simple !

skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Is the only connection between the 2 plates one bolt in the center? That can't be safe.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #45
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Is the only connection between the 2 plates one bolt in the center? That can't be safe.
Haha...I'm sure it is....It's a pretty hefty bolt. Just as strong or stronger than the flimsy pivot plates I saw on ebay or RV catalogues. Remember that box frame is part of the structure too so the central pivot pin kind of behaves like a pivot pin in a crane.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidfrog View Post
Here's a better view of the structure then !

dirt simple !
Just curious......can you swivel that with your body weight in the seat, or do you turn it to the desired direction before you sit down?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #47
Skoolie

Hi Don !

Yeah....it's a manual pivot ; the latch to lock it forward is fairly strong so it has to be held down even while turning. It's a bit stiff due to friction / I could ease that with a large plastic spacer but I'm happy for now !
Old 10-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #48
Skoolie

got a bit of floor finished today

waiting for business emails....killed time by finishing my recycled wood floor :

Old 10-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
That looks great!!! We were planning to use vinyl waterproof click together flooring with a wood look. But I really like what you did in yours! Where is the wood from?
Old 10-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #50
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
That looks great!!! We were planning to use vinyl waterproof click together flooring with a wood look. But I really like what you did in yours! Where is the wood from?
Thanks ! I just kept my eye on kijiji for "pine flooring free" for about a week and sure enough someone posted they were doing renos and come take it away. So I ended up with about 300 sq ft of old pine...a lot of it pretty mangled but it still worked.....and half a box of hardwood flooring to trim it . I have an idea to paint something on it later and then half-sand it to make it look weathered. I know water proof sounds great but I just liked the more natural feel.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:52 PM   #51
Skoolie

2020 progress

Quarantine time means buswork finally gets done / a good friend is a contractor and not allowed to work so I just parked the bus in HIS driveway and now things are getting done. Win / Win !

A priority is salvaging one of my oak desks.....spliced in half lengthwise. The bed / sofa / dinette / rear door access is taking some head scratching but will be super versatile.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Fantastic looking bus you got there. You’ve got a great eye for it.
A couple things to consider, with your bike on the rear deck you will be obstructing the rear lights and that’s going to attract attention from the police. You could have a full set of lights cut into the bumper and wired in real easy. Also the clearance’s on the wood stove appear too close, any added heat shield needs to have stand off’s and not be placed directly on combustible material. Have you looked in to how the wood stove may affect your insurance?
Again great job on your build.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Great work here, I love the salvaged oak desk. I was also going to mention the wood stove thing - that looks too tight.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #54
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
That's what I was thinking! Single nylock nut holding all that force and integrated seat belt as well. If you look at bus driver seats there are extra tether straps from the seat frame thru the bus body floor. I like your vision but I'm not putting my life or my wife in the seat.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #55
Skoolie

thanks folks.....yeah.....the fireplace looks too snug to me as well . I modeled the bumper design same as Numberjuanbus because I even have a similar dirtbike for the street......but in my case I'm looking at putting orange light covers at the corners on top as well so the flashing signals act as brakes and turns as well as the bottom. With the fireplace I wanted to do a wrap around metal sheet with a bit of air behind but we might tile instead. If I can get my contractor guy to nudge that one wall over about 2 inches even better.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #56
Bus Crazy

Quote:
thanks folks.....yeah.....the fireplace looks too snug to me as well . I modeled the bumper design same as Numberjuanbus because I even have a similar dirtbike for the street......but in my case I'm looking at putting orange light covers at the corners on top as well so the flashing signals act as brakes and turns as well as the bottom. With the fireplace I wanted to do a wrap around metal sheet with a bit of air behind but we might tile instead. If I can get my contractor guy to nudge that one wall over about 2 inches even better.
I was also thinking of incorporating the upper flashers into my brake/signal circuit as an added safety feature but I think there are height issues regarding this and they must still also be below a certain height. My bike is going in the garage so no bumper deck extension but if that was the case I'd get some lights down low and out back in the bumper. I think the reasoning from the standpoint of John Q Law is if you've got some hotshot in a slammed Lamborghini behind you he's not cranking his neck up to watch for lights.

Stay safe from the rona

Ps love the bike too
Old 04-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #57
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I have a sister in Milton not too far from you, damn those houses look all the same. I could swear you're parked in her driveway! And she is a crazy cat lady so maybe that's one of hers.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #58
Skoolie

Thanks Oscar.....I noticed on the Number Juan Bus he has only what I have and he's a full timer.........same bumper / same bike ......no additional lights. I'll have to see what we have time for and for now these issues sit on the bottom shelf of my anxiety list !
Old 04-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #59
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks Oscar.....I noticed on the Number Juan Bus he has only what I have and he's a full timer.........same bumper / same bike ......no additional lights. I'll have to see what we have time for and for now these issues sit on the bottom shelf of my anxiety list !
Agreed! A lot more pressing issues going on right now.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #60
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Wow, this does look like the shorty I own! No second side door, though, and mine's an '06.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote