Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 365
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Slight Side Bulge

I noticed today that my bus has a slight bulge out on the passenger side, just ahead of the rear wheel well.

There's nothing that I can see on the interior that could be causing this - I haven't bolted anything in there or anything. For all I know it may have been there all along. I thought I saw it it a few weeks ago but I can only see it really when the light is hitting it just right. Today I ran my hand along the area and you can feel it, though it's not super pronounced.

Anybody have any thought on this? Don't know if you can see it in the photo, but here it is:

IMG_3862.jpg
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 1,070
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
I noticed today that my bus has a slight bulge out on the passenger side, just ahead of the rear wheel well.

There's nothing that I can see on the interior that could be causing this - I haven't bolted anything in there or anything. For all I know it may have been there all along. I thought I saw it it a few weeks ago but I can only see it really when the light is hitting it just right. Today I ran my hand along the area and you can feel it, though it's not super pronounced.

Anybody have any thought on this? Don't know if you can see it in the photo, but here it is:

Attachment 32292
looks to me like damage perhaps sustained in a parking lot
Sleddgracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 365
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
looks to me like damage perhaps sustained in a parking lot
It kind of looks like that in the picture, but it's actually smooth and there's no dent in, just a raised area coming OUT.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 5,811
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you click on the pic 3 times it will blow it up. Looking at the shadow there is definitely a wave there. Could be oil canning from the rivets in the rub rail keeping the metal from expanding and contracting properly. Does not look like any kind of crash damage as there is no scratches or damage to paint.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 365
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If you click on the pic 3 times it will blow it up. Looking at the shadow there is definitely a wave there. Could be oil canning from the rivets in the rub rail keeping the metal from expanding and contracting properly. Dose not look like any kind of crash damage as there is no scratches or damage to paint.
Hmmm interesting.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,581
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I hope Buster isn't coming down with the mumps..check his temperature.


John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Greater Houston, Tx.
Posts: 561
I believe Buster had a little too much Mexican food, and is just a little gassy.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
Ciscokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 104
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
That is weird!! Is there a massive change in the climate in your area? Can you put it in a garage and warm it up see if it comes out of it? Metal contracts and constricts in climate changes but that seems extreme.

Scott
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 365
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
That is weird!! Is there a massive change in the climate in your area? Can you put it in a garage and warm it up see if it comes out of it? Metal contracts and constricts in climate changes but that seems extreme.

Scott
LoL, I'm not ruling out Mexican food. But yes, there is a pretty big temperature change day to day at this time of year. Like, 75 one day and 35 the next. It's driving me nuts.

I have just decided not to worry about it. I know if it was something major somebody here would have experienced it before and be jumping up and down about it.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 777
Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Are any of the side windows leaking water? I'm wondering if water got in during this last winter's heavy rains, and is now swelling some wood or plywood inside the walls. Eagle buses were notorious for rusting badly, and one sign of structural corrosion was bulging of their bodysides where the rust behind the skin was pushing the skin out. Could something similar be happening here? Try tapping the skin and listen for the sound of rust falling inside.

In the yard where I keep my bus there's some POS RV that now has several bulges and waves along its bodysides, and that's almost certainly because rain got inside the walls and is now swelling the wood or cardboard or whatever those things are made of. I can even smell the mold when walking by outside it! Yuk.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.