Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #161
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
102 degrees at 6000ft+ above sea level is too much for my bus to go climbing even higher on the highway. We have a plan to go to Park City but my temp gauge just got too high to continue so we came back to the nearest town to sit in a shady spot and run the AC at idle for a while. It's brutal out here!
come to Ohio.. we have had a dismal summer so far... rain..cool..rain..cool.. BLAH!! I thrive on heat and humidity.. too bad I scheduled so much work stuff in ohio .. i shouldve spoent it in st pete.
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #162
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
We'll be in Ohio on the way back towards St Pete, but it'll be a while before that happens.

My infrared thermometer shows that my AC system is kicking butt, with our curtain closed we were sitting at 71 degrees inside, cool enough to go grab a hot cup of coffee and watch some youtube!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #163
Bus Geek

awesome!! my A/C in my redbyrd does great. in the back! but I need one up front like you have.. now my engine temp appears to stay well below what it did before the trans update.. im about ready to order a dashboard evaporator so i can have driver A/C.. new shocks first.. the bus seems bouncy. and I looked at the shocks and they have navistar part numbers on them where other parts have NAPA or aftermarket names - makes me wonder if anyone ever put shocks on it.. thats tomorrow's project.. soon I run it through the florida-highway-to-hell as I call it.. which is daytona to orlando to tampa.. that stretch in july-aug-september (and may this year) is the hottest place with the highest humidity in the state.. if you can stay cool in that (and the engine). then you can run anything..

-Christopher
Old 07-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #164
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
"I thrive on heat and humidity."

If that's the case...you'd LOVE Houston!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #165
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
"I thrive on heat and humidity."

If that's the case...you'd LOVE Houston!

I do plan on a RedByrd trip there soon! after all thats where it came from so it knows the area well.
-Christopher
Old 07-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #166
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I second that I have met really cool people since ive gotten the busses.. im not even camping or full timing and the enthusiasm I found around people that see the busses is amazing!
-Christopher
I've met lots of really great folks so far. Can't wait to meet even more.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #167
Bus Geek

We spent Sunday at Jordanelle Reservoir, fishing and enjoying all the girls in bikinis. .Well I did, at least. For sure one of my favorite places we've been. After we left we found a beautiful babbling brook, also known as the Provo RIver. I threw a few lures and had some bites but didn't land any fish..

But now it's time to leave Salt Lake City area. We usually plan our travel around Walmart locations... But the next Walmart is 4 hours away... Much farther than I want to drive on a work day, and I don't like to drive at night.

So the obvious thing to do is just hit the highway and figure it out when we get there. #YOLO #SWAG
Old 07-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #168
Bus Geek

roll wheels till ya get tired and then shut it down.. I never get hastled at truck stops... I kind of like the sound of diesel engines idling around me when I sleep..
-Christopher
Old 07-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #169
Bus Geek

Being a school night I need to end up somewhere with enough data service that I can work...Walmarts are pretty good about having wifi, and if they don't then there are usually enough businesses around them that you can find some. Otherwise I can also tether if there is phone signal but that's a backup plan and not my goal!
Old 07-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #170
Bus Geek

Note: trimmed down this post

So we're just a little bit east of Reno. Some personal stuff happened that I will appears you from, but the result is I'm driving right past Reno and into California and Tahoe Forest.

There isn't much scenery here, it's hot, there aren't many trees and there is no shade.

This is the opposite of the enjoyment I had in Utah. Maybe some of it is my mood.

Tonight we'll get into California. Not sure how far but we are going to try to meet up with pearldovelove on our way to the coast.

The bus is doing great even if it gets warm going up the mountains. I did have my action camera set up while I drove last night but all you really see is my windshield wiper. I'll have to fix that before I get going... I haven't been through Tahoe in a very long time but I recall it being beautiful... And we're planning to be in California for a while, so we might get annual fishing licenses and try our luck at Lake Tahoe.

Pictures coming next.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #171
Bus Geek

The best parts of Nevada.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #172
Bus Geek

Best part so far is this River in Lockwood.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #173
Bus Geek

I love cruising into the sun at sunrise and sunset... my favorite time to drive is as the sun sets in the summer hot nights... windows open, A/C MAXXED, stereo Loud..

-Christopher
Old 07-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #174
Bus Geek

Updates!!

So we're hanging out stationary for a few more days. Not much room to work on the outside of the bus, but I did some work on some other things.

I spent today working on my reaspberry pi zero wifi setup. My hope was that I could use virtual interfaces to run both AP and client from a single physical interface. Turns out the driver explicitly disables this combination, and only lets you use some not very useful combinations (ap+adhoc, really?). After a little hacking, I added the combination to the driver, but it ends up being blocked also by the firmware. So, back to having dual wifi adapters until such time as I decide to investigate other chipsets. I will say that ath9k has been rock stable, where the others I've tried were quite unstable.. Having to reboot hourly to revive stuck devices, that's just nasty.

The GF and I have switched almost entirely to eating (drinking) Soylent. She's been at it for about 1.5 months, I've been doing it for about 3 weeks. There are positives and negatives but mostly positives. I'm oig to write something up elsewhere on the site about it so more people can read it.

I replaced the exhaust fan for the composting toilet about a week ago, the new one makes a little more noise but it's a small sacrifice for keeping things dry and not smelly. At some point I"ll draw up plans for how I built mine, it's a nice combination of cheap and good.

I've been looking into security camera systems, but knowing they are ultimately just linux boxes I'm looking at options that could do double duty replacing my wifi/network managing pi. A friend has a possible device but I"m letting him figure it out rather than experimenting with my own money.

I've ot a few more things I"m working on but don't want to go into detail until I know if its worthwhile or not. We're stationary until Wednesday/Thursday enjoying the amazing weather in Berkeley, CA.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #175
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Interesting.
That's a masochistic diet for sure. I tried that stuff once. ONCE.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #176
Bus Geek

Good stuff on the PI, though I think you can do it out of the box with a milrotik router.

As for cameras. Zoneminder all the way, it's free Linux software and has some big system features. Haven't tried it on a pi though . I use it in a virtual instance for my home security and it works wonders.
Christopher
Old 07-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #177
Bus Geek

Yeah I'm familiar with Zoneminder but the Pi has such poor IO I think it'd max out with 1 camera.. I am looking at kits with support for 8.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #178
Bus Geek

I've looked at the milrotik devices and they're interesting, but I don't know how friendly the RouterOS is for installing your own software. The Pi obviously is great for it. They use a variety of cpu platforms, at appears to be mostly MIPS and PPC variants. I do have a limitation with my phone tethering software, which ships a binary utility for several platforms but not RouterOS.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #179
Bus Geek

true that even the PI 3 doesnt have great IO in it.. you could probably get 2 on a pi 3..

ive got 5 cameras on mine in a KVM VM on Centos 6.

my hypervisor host is a bit of a demon machine though.. I7-5820K with 64 RAM

I have a dedicated RAID-10 just for the cameras.. I really should pull that off the main box and build a SAN / NAS to handle the video recording..

my server wouldnt survive long in a bus though just from a power consumption standpoint.

Mikrotik is just a router.. an appliance.. I didnt realize you needed a special phone tether app.. I use a hotspot and it pushes out USB or wifi.. each of which the MT can make a WAN out of ..
-Christopher
Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #180
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
PSA: Staying at a Holiday Inn Express will NOT help you understand these guys any better once they get rolling.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote