Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Square Footage?

I'd be afraid I'd roll over in that roof-mounted tent thingy and tip the car over.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
I'd be afraid I'd roll over in that roof-mounted tent thingy and tip the car over.
Or fall out, lol
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

I've thought about building one to mount on top of my Blazer... It would be perfect for over night trail rides...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
Or fall out, lol
The midnight bathroom run would be way more complicated for the girls. Easier for the boys. Sleepwalking could get very interesting.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Rated Cap: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snonbos
It you are doing floor layout, something else to keep in mind are the wheelwells.
In ours they are about 2 feet long by 20" wide x 12" tall. They start 3 feet from the back wall(meaning there is 3 feet of flat floor between the back wall and the wheel hump.
Doesn't seem like much but it makes a difference trying to fit stuff in.

Ours is setup for two people and it works well for that. 2 bunks/ bathroom and sink / counter. It also helps to find some swivel buckets for seats.

If our daughter comes with on any trip it is really cramped then. I'm currently trying to reconfigure it to get a third bunk or sleeping surface somewhere, anywhere.

I like the smaller bus but If I had to do it over again I would look for a 5 or 6 window version with the handicap door in the rear.
I never thought about the wheelwells. Thanks for the heads up. I've also considered the 6 window, but shoot, I think I'd be too nervous to drive one. Do you have photos of the inside of your bus here on skoolie? I'd love to see them.
ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

The wheel wells played a huge part in my floor plan as well as the black water tank placement...

I would recommend anyone planning on having a working toilet to start with bathroom design and h2o plumbing first... My bus isn't a mini like the pic, but it's about 1/2 of a full length bus... Tank placement, plumbing and wheel wells are pretty much set in stone with a smaller bus... Everything else can be designed around those...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Have you thought about an "add a room"? ( far too pricey for us to buy one... but I could sew one up)

Could go a couple of ways on this. you said you had bunks... could you add a platform/deck out the back (removable stabilized receiver mounted thing like a big hitchhaul), build a PVC frame, sew up a canvas cover (like painters drop cloths) to attach to the bus once parked ?

Perhaps do the same on the side of the bus which would also allow you more "living" space so things aren't as cramped with more inside. Use heavy duty velcro and keep the thing simple. You know folks USED to build their own tents. I'm sure there are patterns/plans on the internet somewhere.

PDF Tent Pattern (Free) from the forums I found it on... read down, interesting reading... "I spent a few hours planning out a large wall tent that can be made with painter's tarps from Lowes/Home Depot, etc. Being the picky person that I am, I made a 1/2 scale pattern. It's currently still being sewn, so the end results are not conclusive yet. At any rate, I thought i would share my pattern with everyone. Enjoy!"

Another idea might be a modification of the bed ends that were on our Apache popup.
The beds were simply a plywood deck with ABS panels. It all folded up flat (side walls folded down to lay on the bed then roof folded flat to rear wall which then laid down on top of the side panels). BTW, a "living hinge" is a fairly simple thing to build. We had to replace ours. Ordinary RV awning rail (one on each side) with a length of heat cable (the kind you make a heated water hose from..comes in various lengths) acting as a "pin". Ours lasted for a decade or so. We did have to crimp the awning rail a little (used a vice grip so we had the same clamp for each squeezing... very easy to squeeze that aluminum rail too much). (click on image to see the whole thing. Living hinges don't leak because they have no open knuckles.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Bus Geek

. A double wide
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy
I never thought about the wheelwells. Thanks for the heads up. I've also considered the 6 window, but shoot, I think I'd be too nervous to drive one. Do you have photos of the inside of your bus here on skoolie? I'd love to see them.
Wheel wells do complicate your plans. They tend to be right where they'll be the most inconvenient.

Definitely plan your plumbing first. When we first picked up our 24 footer I looked at the undercarriage space and thought I'd have lots of options mounting our little 15 gal. grey tank, but when I actually tried to find space for it (and the plumbing going to it) there were very few options. I ended upmounting it behind the gas tank.

I drive a GMC van as my daily driver and our 24' (6 window) bus really doesn't drive much different. You don't notice the extra length when gettin' down the road.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC 3500
Engine: 6.5 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

The bus is really easy to drive around. If you have ever driven a regular pickup truck or van it's the same as that, you just have to use your mirrors alittle more. I also like that since it is really a 1 ton van I can still take it to our usual mechanic if it needs work done.

Lorna -

I like the hardsided popout idea. I don't think it would be to hard to make up something that folds up.
I've always looked at the buses that have the big fold down ramps in back and wondered why the ramp couldn't be used for a platform instead. Then have walls that fold up sorta in the same matter or the canvas tent sides.
snonbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #31

20-25 feet = short bus

25-35 feet = mid-size

35-40 feet = full length
Nivasi on Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #32

Someone asked about sizes..

20-25 feet = short bus

25-35 feet = mid-size

35-40 feet = full length
Nivasi on Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote