Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 12:52 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

StarCraft vs StarTrans Shuttle Bus

I have purchased a 2004 E-450 StarTrans Shuttle for a conversion. The engine is the 7.3L, though I know they generally are not found in years beyond 2003.

There is some miscellaneous hearsay I have heard about StarCraft being of poor quality, yet I have also heard that they are one of the only brands that have metal framing through the complete shell.

Soon I will have it a part and get some photos and real data but I am curious if the two companies are the same. I was able to get some diagrams from Startrans when I reached out via email and the signature in email says:

Starcraft SchoolBus/Startrans Bus
Electrical Engineer
2408 Century Drive
Goshen, IN 46528

Googling shows that Starcraft was purchased by and umbrella corporation called Forest River in 2001, and StarTrans was acquired by the same company in 2014. Not sure what this says about their quality NOW vs back in the early 2000s.

Who has actual experience with either of these Shuttle buses and their quality? Mine seems very good and solid with no leaks at 155k miles!

jonbobshinigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I have a 1997 star trans shuttle. 1 inch square steel frame work sandwiched between fiberglass panels with 1 inch foam insulation. Pretty good quality. Only problem is that window leaked and the steel frame is rusting which shows as a bulge in the fiberglass below one of the windows. Mine has a plywood floor. I used polyvinyl flooring and installed bunk bed style futons for seating and beds. Mine also has factory Ford passenger door and copilot seat (kind of rare) and an RV door with screen just like a motorhome does. I have heard that starcraft is called starcrap but I have no personal experience.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Sounds like it is built just like my Goshen. Pull up the rubber flooring... fix any rotten plywood... check it for roof leaks and go on and pop out the windows and reseal them with butyl tape.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote