Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: Looking for some insight on a "new" bus

Ha! At the time I was thinking about the screened in room, but-------why not both?

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Re:Start of my "new" bus build

I feel the same way.. Why not! The worst that happens is that I learn that a screened porch won't work and plan b comes into play. Thanks
SitkaConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Start of my "new" bus build

So the interior demolition has commenced

What do you guys do with the spay foam? That is if you have it? I was thinking of scrapping it off before insulating everything but that stuff is a real pain. Any advice?

Wiring seems to be pretty clean, I will be starting to go over everything here in the next day or so and see what I got. For some reason, once I installed two fresh starting batteries and repaired the connection cable between them, I no longer have interior lights or heater power. Got to love trons!

My final question is this... Looking in the engine compartment, I find a hose not connected to anything. In the picture it's circled in red. Also in red is a connection off the radiator, maybe. That doesn't have anything to it. Is this by chance the hose for the rear heater that was removed or something else? Hopefully someone with an E350 engine will have some guidance.

Hope everyone is having a great day and keep on truckin

Matt
Old 09-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #24
r_w
Skoolie

LEAVE IT! Everybody wants spray foam. I would use great stuff to fill in any holes in the foam.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

By looking at the pics, I think you have a Champion body. (Its what I have.) The pic with the red circles-the one on the lower right looks like an AC fitting. The hose looks like heater hose size-but I'd more think the rear one would be Tee'd in underneath. (It was on my diesel '96.)
Now the bad news--look real close at your wheel arches. Champ used spray foam like crazy. One place was where the factory Ford (steel) wheel arch ended and their curved fiberglass box begins. Theres a couple inch gap--and they just oozed foam to fill it. The foam collects water from wheel spray (and snow build up ) and rots things out. Peel away the carpet around the arches-and look at the body-everything from the trim strip down is metal.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #26
r_w
Skoolie

That window is just too cool! Hard side awning for grilling in the rain. Roof to hang a hammock under (with proper mounting points). Screen room. Covered motorcycle parking. The possibilities are almost endless.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #27
Bus Geek

definitely do the screened in room with it's hard top awning already in place....
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:06 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

The more I look at it, the more I like the hard awning with the screened room add on. I have some leaks that are coming from around the window that I have to sort out. Does anyone know what kind of "seam" or "gutter" like thing I could put on the top where it swings up?

Matt
Old 09-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #29
Bus Geek

a simple U channel would help slow down water running off the roof, and a pc of rubber like tear drops use on their hatches are starting places for ideas

I think it would be awesome to sit inside with coffee as a light rain drizzles and you can smell the fresh air....

not sure about a whole outside room personally...a big azzed window....with no skeeters in the evening at cocktail time....sweet
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

I will def be placing a screen in the window opening. I am a big fan of the outdoors and letting as much of it in as possible is the goal. For the outside room, I was thinking more or less just attaching zippers or snaps around edge and having a netting that matched up with it. Just for a place for a bbq or couple chairs if its buggy.

Thanks for the recommendation on the U Channel, that seems like a good and easy route. I have a bunch of sealant and tapes on the way to help with any leaks as well.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
By looking at the pics, I think you have a Champion body. (Its what I have.) The pic with the red circles-the one on the lower right looks like an AC fitting. The hose looks like heater hose size-but I'd more think the rear one would be Tee'd in underneath. (It was on my diesel '96.)
Now the bad news--look real close at your wheel arches. Champ used spray foam like crazy. One place was where the factory Ford (steel) wheel arch ended and their curved fiberglass box begins. Theres a couple inch gap--and they just oozed foam to fill it. The foam collects water from wheel spray (and snow build up ) and rots things out. Peel away the carpet around the arches-and look at the body-everything from the trim strip down is metal.
Now that I have the ceiling and most of the walls removed I will be starting to pull up the flooring to get to everything. I have the rubber mat flooring which I read is a pain to get up so I guess I have a project ahead of me. Thanks for the heads up on where to look when I get that stuff up. Hopefully its in decent shape!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

One thing I'm sure you've already seen, if you were going to take off the floor, you were going to have to start at the ceiling anyways. Everything seems to overlap whatever you want to remove.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1951
Coachwork: Wayne/ IHC
Chassis: L-163 International
Engine: SD240 / 4 sp.
Rated Cap: 39

A full service glass shop can build any type of easily added or removed screen. Shop around. I built hundreds in my glass business days. Keep the foam and add fiberglass insulation over it. Then panels. You want ALL the insulation you can get. Hot or cold. The only way to know what that hose is for is to remove the doghouse and follow it. The one by the radiator looks like an AC or tranny cooler fitting. You need to figure this stuff out. Listen to advice but find out yourself what this stuff is and why it's not hooked up. Some people that say they know, don't. When you installed your new batteries you might have failed to reconnect a feed wire to the things that now don't work. Or maybe in working on the cables and pulling them around and out of your way you pulled a connecter apart. You will get to know this machine very well as you progress. Good luck.
Tbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I am learning that this is a learning experience. I am lucky enough to have a lot of education in wiring and electrical system, so those basics are there...its literally everything else I am picking up as I go. I have a Haynes manual on order and am not scared of getting dirty. I appreciate how forums have been able to help so many people, but also understand they can only do so much.

Sdwarf, you have it nailed..this is one giant puzzle with any area I need to reach, being covered by 13 others, normally starting at the opposite end of the bus I am on lol.

Tbart, when you talk about the screen, are you referring to one that fit the large opening? I was going to tackle that down the road because I had no clue where to even start on something that big. I was thinking about the fiberglass before putting up any ceiling and wall panels. I felt that with the ability to condense it would be easy to work in those areas. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Sitka, Yes I mean a screen for your big swing up window. With the struts on the inside folding as you close it [I suppose] you may have to remove and re install it when you want ventilation. A glass shop, a real one, will have the ability to build a screen frame any size you desire and roll aluminum screen up to 48" into it. You have a slight curve to the sides so you may need to artfully bend it. Attach it with old school storm window brackets. Talk to your local glass guy. You're in Alaska? I hear the skeeters can be big and hungry up there when they're not dead from the freezing cold! A Haynes manual is OK. But Chiltons or Mitchells are better. If you can find one for your specific vehicle. The haynes will describe nothing about your bus body or its systems. Haynes will give you instructions like "Remove the transmission" without giving you DETAILED instructions. Still they are not bad and will give you many diagrams and pictures. They are not the factory service manual for E-350. Probably a Chiltons Ford Trucks manual covering Ford Heavy Duty F-250 & 350 and E series vans is what would be better. I have many Haynes Books and they ARE helpful but are lacking in overall scope. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Sitka, looking at your bus I see that swing up window is absolutely FLAT and rectangular. Therefore you can easily replace it with an insulated home replacement window with a stationary insulated glass [IG] in the center panel and sliding IGs on either side of it with screens. This type of window is commonly ordered in any custom fit size. You could even install it exactly like the one you have so it swings up and open. But it will be heavier so you may have to beef up your struts. Talk to a professional window installer. There are a LOT of windows available that will give you what you need.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Tbart, Thank you! I went ahead and ordered a Chilton manual for the bus, so that is on its way. You know, I didn't even think about the arms of the window getting in the way of a future screen. Its something that would have come up in the future, but it hadn't even crossed my mind yet, good catch.

Alaska does have some big buggers here so keeping them at bay is second to top priority. Living in a technical rainforest, dryness is priority number one.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

So started to pull the flooring up. The rubber came up pretty easy...in parts, some parts is just going to not play ball. The wood will be next, some areas are wet and coming apart so I want to pull it to bare metal to patch and paint with some rustoleum.

When you guys are installing your floors are you using a vapor barrier between the metal and insulation? Or, are you going between the insulation and the plywood? Thanks.