Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Eldorado National
Chassis: Chevy 3500 Express
Engine: Duramax Diesel
Rated Cap: 10
Question Subflooring

I'm a great believer that there is no such thing as a stupid question, so with that in mind I thought I'd ask the following;

Why is it that nobody uses those pre-made subfloor installation panels, the ones that are tongue and groove round the edges and have the insulation already bonded to the OSB?

scootermcscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcscoot View Post
Why is it that nobody uses those pre-made subfloor installation panels, the ones that are tongue and groove round the edges and have the insulation already bonded to the OSB?
'cuz we are cheap. I prefer plywood to OSB as buses leak, pipes break, sinks overflow....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.38.44 PM.png
Views:	15
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	16067
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I have only seen people use that on prefab walls and vaulted ceilings. Seems like it would be an expensive hassle on a floor.

I have laid miles of OSB subfloors in homes, it works it is cheap. But it gets wet an it is trash.
The top of OSB has a film that will protect it from a little water, basically if it rains or snows before you cover the house being built it will fare ok. More then a few weeks of rain and snow it is risky. I have seen jobs that ran out of money and sat for months all the OSB became ruined..

On jobsite you will see scrap pieces of OSB in a puddle of water for as little as a day and they will just soak up the water like a sponge, once they dry out they crumble like a handful of leaves.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Eldorado National
Chassis: Chevy 3500 Express
Engine: Duramax Diesel
Rated Cap: 10
I was thinking more along the lines of this stuff, less than $7 a piece measuring 2' x 2'

scootermcscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
Second what camper said if osb gets wet for prolonged periods it is garbage. There are people who use osb subfloors in their buses. Before i did that I'd make sure i had no leaks. Windows, roof vents and such. Get some of that new lifeproof flooring to go on top. That stuff is sweet and it waterproof. Only way water could get under that floor is a spill around the edges. Or condensation.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
OSB has no use anywhere in anything. Just my opinion.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I was fortunate to have 12 boxes of the illegal Chinese-made formaldehyde-laden wooden flooring that someone gave me ten years ago just stuffed under my workbench… I had no intention of actually using it in my house (chemicals)… and I knew I couldn't burn it in my fire pit (birds would drop from the sky if they flew through the smoke)… so I sat on it until the cosmos sent me a bus! I considered sanded/stained, and heavily clearcoated plywood at first, and never considered OSB for the accurately posed reasons others have shared. Go with the plywood, then go to a carpet place and get a bunch of carpet squares… out the carpet squares down then the ply over it and you will have sound and temp control all in one.
toplessartist is offline   Reply With Quote