Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #101

Can you share the method used for removing the chair rail rivets? I have a similar bus and this is giving me trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
20220308_122241.jpg  

Jsloa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:11 PM   #102
Mini-Skoolie

What’s the exterior height? I have a non handicap Collins 5 window and mines about 9’6”. I can park in my garage, garage doors are 10’ tall
57ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:17 PM   #103
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsloa7 View Post
Can you share the method used for removing the chair rail rivets? I have a similar bus and this is giving me trouble.
alot of people use air chisels but you can figure out what size the center mandrel is and go one size bigger or figure out what size the original hole drilled for the rivet to go in and just drill them out.
if they start spinning then a hammer and chisel is it.
personally i would hit them with a grinder and be done.
if you choose a grinder then look at the path of sparks and cover any glass that the sparks could hit because if you are close enough the sparks leftovers could stick in the glass and or tint.
and if grinding its always good to have a fire watch as well as the rest of your appropriate PPE.( personal protective equipment).
glasses/faceshield ,gloves ,long sleeve shirt if desired, guard and siide handle on the grinder, both hand on the grinder with a firm grip.
there is a debate about removing chair rails but it seems to be more centered around specific manufacturing techniques that make them structural to the buses body but to me that was when they were hauling kids and are there for the side impact and rollover protection stuff so its up to each owner to decide that within there own build.
the reason we buy these things is because they are way tougher than a sticks and staples RV so why not design around the safety structure instead degrade the safety structure?
if yours is built to that standard.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #104
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ratrod View Post
What’s the exterior height? I have a non handicap Collins 5 window and mines about 9’6”. I can park in my garage, garage doors are 10’ tall
sorry OP
57 a pic of your ratrod please my son wrecked my old truck and now needs an entire front clip that isnt worth the 2000$ plus minus paint so i am debating the rat rod idea. i weld for a living and have full access to a sheetmetal shop at work and have mechaniced alot of my life so none of that will hold me back.
just want see what you have for inspiration.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:42 PM   #105

Thanks for the reply Jolly.

I tried a few carbide bits from Ace Hardware but wasnt able to get through a single rivet before all of them broke.

I wasn't able to get a chisel head in that confined space that would not eventually break when I tried to hammer it. Unfortunately, no air tools for me.

I elected to skip the dirty grinding option and to build around the chair rail as i can still get the side panel off enough to get the old insulation out an rigid foam board installed. It was the only piece of the bus i could not demo so a little upset i compromised but dont think it will cause an issue as long as i create a thermal bridge.
Jsloa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #106

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: Duramax 6.6 LMM
Rated Cap: 5 window - 8 cap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsloa7 View Post
I found that a wood chisel you don't mind destroying and 3# hammer will cut them off also
Foamenter is offline   Reply With Quote