Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

t444e van chassis varient reliability

I'm considering buying an e350 t444e shorty to replace my aging tundra as the run-about/tow-behind/chase car for our big bus. My full sized bus is powered by a t444e + at545 drivetrain and overall I like it quite a bit.

I've read that when they shoehorned in the 444 to the e350's engine bay they had to reduce the size of the radiator/intercooler/some other cooling related part(s) mandating de-rating the power of the block, but it still suffered from overheating issues and general related reliability issues vs it's non-shoehorned variant. This information comes from 1 article, and I read quite a bit.

Any thoughts or experiences with a t444e powered shorty overheating or not? general reliability over 20+ hour desert/mountain runs? specific knowledge of the modifications (or lack thereof) applicable?

thx in advance folks

superbusWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
My biggest concern would be the added weight of that bus behind a big bus with only a measly 545 behind it, gonna be a short life for that tranny.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The engine in that E350 is not really a T444e. It is based on the T444e but a number of components are different.

The "Powerstroke" in your E350 has different electronics and may have different turbo, injectors, head gasket and pistons.

It has a very good reputation.

I have talked to a number of folks with 7.3 equipped E350's and E450's and not heard a word from them about overheating issues.

That all said...... I would not even consider towing an E350 behind a bus equipped with an AT-545.....

I think many here will agree that the 545 is marginal for highway travel and a poor choice for towing.

Some members here have had good success swapping either an MT-643 or 2000 series Allison for their 545's.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

ahhh I see, both of you excellent points

in regards to towing, your very correct about it really dropping my at545's lifespan, we almost always run both cross country cause - well - between my wife and I one of us pees more.. and haven't put a hitch receiver on my bus yet

in regards to it being a PSD vs a t444 … that is a crucial detail to know, I was just replying to the guy in classifieds with the 12.5k RV on that very topic. yeah that's gonna be a deal breaker for me on the e350 shorty then.

thanks both of ya
Old 05-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the PSD depending on year had more power and higher RPOM capability than the T-444E... ultimately ford had tio try and win the budding Horsepwoer wars ensuing between chevy dodge and ford in respect to diesels.. (my truck can tow more than yours)...

the Vans had bigger turbos than the trucks I believe.. electronics are all different as well as the head gaskets and cam. (the POSD revs to 3200 or 3400 RPM redline, the T-444E is 2600 or 2700...

ive done AT545 to MT643 and AT545 to allison 1000.. 2 different busses 2 different fried AT545s with lkots of highway travel... both short busses..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

yeah I'm fairly familiar with the differences between a PSD and a t444e, at least more than … normal … people lol.

yeah the higher boost psi and higher (3300 in a PSD, right?) rpm limit = lower lifespan expentency, although obv use/care factor in just as much for a specific vehicle

I've got about … 35k? on this 545, it had 162?k when I bought it. all mixed miles, some freeway - some city - some mountain logging roads - some deserts, you get the idea, and I like it quite a bit - but by no means am I gonna say i'm not keeping a close eye on it, or that I wouldn't prefer a heavier duty trans - just not gonna knock it either I guess it does it's job, 66mph freeway WOT, enough grunt to rattle the dishes off the line ..

when I do fry this one, wait wtf wheres some wood quick.

yeah anyway i'll probably be doing a new bus, or a full powertrain swap (if i'm buying a trans off a 466, seems like a good opportunity to haggle for a 466, ya know?) but that's not something i'm devoting too much head space towards at the moment.

thanks for the quick and accurate replies folks. i'll tell my wife no towing (dudes thank you for real on that one)
Old 05-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbusWI View Post
I was just replying to the guy in classifieds with the 12.5k RV on that very topic. yeah that's gonna be a deal breaker for me on the e350 shorty then.

thanks both of ya
I am not certain that I understand. Is he asking $12,500 for an E350 cutaway?

If he is... I would runaway....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

yeah pretty much man. that was NOT the vehicle I was thinking about btw, just convienient timing. I paid cash for land for less than half that price - decent land too, too many tourists though. was gonna ask you, how's parts availability on the 8.3? accessability of repair? although i'd imagine it's not too terribly much of an issue... you're in WA correct? any issues with non-grid heated cold starts? I doesn't get too terribly cold there but still enough to think about it