Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The 1990 Thomas "Archetype" Project begins!

Hello!

Just picked up my bus last night. It is going to be used mostly for commercial purpose at my business, parked as a sign with logo on the side but also to drive members to events and stuff. I will be doing the vermont registration ASAP on it.

It is a 1990 Thomas Chevy with an 8.2l diesel. Its the perfect size and look for my business. Since its for a gym, it will be called "The Struggle Bus".

I will not be doing a TON to this, but my initial plan is:
Remove seats
remove floors
plywood flooring
Change driver seat
wrap around seating
install 2 TVs
install new gauges in driver view
install backup camera system
install radio & speakers
Body work / vents so its not so damn hot
Paint it dark dark grey
Add logo

Any advice, information or recommendations are appreciated. Of the list above, i know how to remove stuff and do the plywood, and plan on just figuring out the rest by myself as we go. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.46.33 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.46.41 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.46.50 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.46.58 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.47.07 AM.jpg  

archetypebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Going to keep updating this so i dont lose my thoughts on it!

Also looking into:
adding a passenger seat instead of the stairs
sound deadening
Old 09-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Started working on soundproofing it. Insulation on firewall, and started removing front sheet metal covers to lay down soundproofing mat. Finishing this up tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
44AAD708-B46E-4BF6-9CB0-92E20D728B10.jpg   8EA6E99B-7228-4F5C-ADC8-62C60BC786CA.jpg  
Old 09-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Sounds like a simple weekend project!

J/K, but much easier than doing a full camper or m/h conversion.
Looks like its been sitting awhile. Hopefully the chassis underside is not too rusted?

You'll probably have to remove the stop sign and overhead lights depending on your state?

Good luck...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Sounds like a simple weekend project!

J/K, but much easier than doing a full camper or m/h conversion.
Good luck...
Thanks! Because my focus is a much more drivable city bus with occasional over the road (and because this is for my business) and zero overnights, my focus is on comfort, fun and drivability, and entertaining the passengers.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Worked on interior sound deadening. Hope this stuff worked because this job sucked! Took out all front firewall pieces, covered them in 80mil heat and sound deafening material and put them all back. Two layers above the exhaust and transmission cover. Next I will black carpet and put them trim back on.
Attached Thumbnails
52AC41C6-39CB-4BB2-883A-072A89732371.jpg  
Old 09-08-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
You're off to a good start!! Keep the momentum going and you will get to start enjoying it soon!!
Old 09-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
You're off to a good start!! Keep the momentum going and you will get to start enjoying it soon!!
Thanks!

A bit nervous, of course i did most of my research after I bought it lol, and having a bus that tops at 55mph while SCREAMING at you at redline RPM is concerning. Hoping this stuff helps the 8.2l not so invasive. also padding the engine cover next.

Installing gauges and radio next weekend!
Old 09-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Keeping an eye on this thread ... soundproofing the cabin area from the engine noise is high on my desired list.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
You've mentioned several times that this bus is for your business. In the eyes of the law it is therefore a commercial vehicle, and that will make you a commercial vehicle driver. Just be aware that a whole load of requirements and regulations exist for commercial vehicles, such as DOT number, logbook (or electronic equivalent), driver licensing, vehicle registration and insurance, etc etc. If you paint your company's logo or name on the side, that can in itself be sufficient proof of it being a commercial vehicle. And if you were to be stopped by a DOT checkpoint and your bus is titled as something other than commercial, you would be in deep doodoo, or worse . . . You also mention driving people to events, which could make it a commercial bus; in that case even more legal requirements come into play. Sorry!

Just sayin'

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
You've mentioned several times that this bus is for your business. In the eyes of the law it is therefore a commercial vehicle, and that will make you a commercial vehicle driver. Just be aware that a whole load of requirements and regulations exist for commercial vehicles, such as DOT number, logbook (or electronic equivalent), driver licensing, vehicle registration and insurance, etc etc. If you paint your company's logo or name on the side, that can in itself be sufficient proof of it being a commercial vehicle. And if you were to be stopped by a DOT checkpoint and your bus is titled as something other than commercial, you could be in deep doodoo, or worse . . .

Just sayin'

John
Good point. Sign will just have to be removable when it’s moving I suppose 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 09-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypebus View Post
Good point. Sign will just have to be removable when it’s moving I suppose 🤷🏻*♂️
This is a touchy subject when your insurance comes into play.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
This is a touchy subject when your insurance comes into play.
I rented a car while traveling for business. I declined the extra insurance as I had pretty good insurance.

I took a break for dinner at a nearby restaurant. Someone hit the rental car and left.

When I called my insurance company the asked me very specificly "were you engaged in work when it was hit or were you engaged in personal activities? "

It turns out that my insurance would not covera rental car if I was using it for business. The fact that I was having dinner by myself and running personal errands was "personal" so they covered it.

I have since fixed that. The additional coverage cost me between $2-$3 a month.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypebus View Post
Hello!

Just picked up my bus last night. It is going to be used mostly for commercial purpose at my business, parked as a sign with logo on the side but also to drive members to events and stuff. I will be doing the vermont registration ASAP on it.

It is a 1990 Thomas Chevy with an 8.2l diesel. Its the perfect size and look for my business. Since its for a gym, it will be called "The Struggle Bus".

I will not be doing a TON to this, but my initial plan is:
Remove seats
remove floors
plywood flooring
Change driver seat
wrap around seating
install 2 TVs
install new gauges in driver view
install backup camera system
install radio & speakers
Body work / vents so its not so damn hot
Paint it dark dark grey
Add logo

Any advice, information or recommendations are appreciated. Of the list above, i know how to remove stuff and do the plywood, and plan on just figuring out the rest by myself as we go. Thanks!
How much can you tow with your bus? My family and I are searching for a midsize bus as a tow vehicle and "grocery getter".
Old 09-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

i havent towed anything but from what i hear this 8.2 can pull anything. gotta be safe for 10,000+
Old 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I rented a car while traveling for business. I declined the extra insurance as I had pretty good insurance.

I took a break for dinner at a nearby restaurant. Someone hit the rental car and left.

When I called my insurance company the asked me very specificly "were you engaged in work when it was hit or were you engaged in personal activities? "

It turns out that my insurance would not covera rental car if I was using it for business. The fact that I was having dinner by myself and running personal errands was "personal" so they covered it.

i have commercial insurance at $90 a month ready to go on it. but i have to convert to RV. i will likely just use it for my billboard when its parked, take the sign off when im driving it.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

updates! got the seats out, floor stripped, heavy rust rustoleum primer put down, insulation and plywood ready to go (not in - adding sound dampening materal first), and the beginning of the side wall frame. also began painting the ceiling, between windows and the front in back and gloss white. more to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.21.04 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.21.17 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.21.27 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.21.35 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.21.47 PM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.21.54 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.22.05 PM.jpg  
Old 09-16-2019, 01:43 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
looks like you have a little helper admiring your handiwork.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
looks like you have a little helper admiring your handiwork.
my princess! shes more excited about this thing than me. she loves school busses.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I cant wait to get started on mine!