Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Lost power at work today so I left at 6, got home, played with my giant toddler(over 3ft@21mo) put him to bed then did some bus time. All driver side low panels are cut except the rivets behind the emergeny window frame, couldn't run my impact with the boy sleeping. Cut about 1/3 of a ceiling panel's rivets too.

Used my grandfather's 1970s ish Great Falls grinder with a 7" disc, that thing is a beast.

Photos in the morning after I finish tearing the panels.

ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliChzPoopTart View Post
couldn't run my impact with the boy sleeping.
Why? It sounds like the young fella is big enough to run the grinder.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #23
Skoolie

He lifts mulk jugs one handed.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #24
Skoolie

all lower panels are out, 2 roof panels down including the really big one.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Interesting- looks like bluebird uses the tar (asphalteum to be specific) on some buses too. I've seen under the interior panels of an 88 BB and it didn't have any tar. I wonder if that was an option?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
maybe it was a year thing? or geographic? ive found there are a lot of things done to busses based on geoprgraphic locations..

Like certain states required the driver and door side windows of busses made after a certain date to have double pane windows to elp with snow and ice...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #27
Skoolie

I think it may have to do with high humidity, the insude panels dont seem to sweat much
Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
I think it may have to do with high humidity, the insude panels dont seem to sweat much
Mine were sweating UNDER the tar.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #29
Skoolie

That's what happens when you live in a swamp.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #30
Skoolie

2 more roof panels down and that front panel that covers the nose lights. Did anyone put that panels back up? seems like a good base for mounting stuff. Supposedly my seats and other scrap are getting hauled off today, if he bails I'm just going to flag down one of the numerous scrappers in town. I'm holding onto 3 seats for now, one for a friend to mount in his work van and 2 as a temp until I can make it to LKQ and get the rear benches out of an early 2000s Escalade, with built in seatbelts.

My bench seats have seatbelts so if anyone in Houstonish wants one speak now or forever hold your peace.

Got the cover off my A/C so I have an idea what I'm working with, its got 3 blowers so I may duct one or two to the front of the bus for OTR A/C.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Great progress Chili. Today's heat was a bi*ch. I got some done on mine as well and will post pics.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #32
Skoolie

Nah man, it was pleasant today, you spend too much time in the a/c ;) . We got woken up at 6:30am for the Watermelon walk for the fallen, Youngster loved seeing some planes in formation, sky divers, all kinds of goodies. FIL came by and gave the bus a thumbsup on the mechanical side, also showed me how to take down my a/c to get my last 2 roof panels out.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #33
Bus Geek

if you are keeping that Air unit, clean it up wile you have it apart.. te drain lines love to clog on those as do the coils... and be careful wit htose refrigerant lines... the rubber will crack or kink if you leave it in a stressed position too long... im assuming you supported it someow...

you COULD move that evaporator to the front of the bus and re-pipe it in if you want it for road A/C rather tan attempted to duct it...

those lines are easy to make...

-Christopher
Old 08-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Nah man, it was pleasant today, you spend too much time in the a/c ;) . We got woken up at 6:30am for the Watermelon walk for the fallen, Youngster loved seeing some planes in formation, sky divers, all kinds of goodies. FIL came by and gave the bus a thumbsup on the mechanical side, also showed me how to take down my a/c to get my last 2 roof panels out.
You are correct, that a/c will spoil a person. I just need a good fan to keep the air moving.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you are keeping that Air unit, clean it up wile you have it apart.. te drain lines love to clog on those as do the coils... and be careful wit htose refrigerant lines... the rubber will crack or kink if you leave it in a stressed position too long... im assuming you supported it someow...

you COULD move that evaporator to the front of the bus and re-pipe it in if you want it for road A/C rather tan attempted to duct it...

those lines are easy to make...

-Christopher
I did take the front panel off and the fins were pretty clogged. I saw on youtube a while back about someone cleaning their rooftop a/c fins with a spay bottle of cleaner/dissolver. Is there anything special about the formula or will any cleaner/degreaser work like 409 or something?

That a/c unit is just temporary while I do the demo for the next 2 months. After then it will start to cool down here in Houston. By the time next summer rolls around it'll be fully insulated, new insulating paint on the roof, and I may even pay for a covered spot so the heat won't be as much of a factor.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's what happens when you live in a swamp.
I didn't know they had swamps in KY.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
I did take the front panel off and the fins were pretty clogged. I saw on youtube a while back about someone cleaning their rooftop a/c fins with a spay bottle of cleaner/dissolver. Is there anything special about the formula or will any cleaner/degreaser work like 409 or something?

That a/c unit is just temporary while I do the demo for the next 2 months. After then it will start to cool down here in Houston. By the time next summer rolls around it'll be fully insulated, new insulating paint on the roof, and I may even pay for a covered spot so the heat won't be as much of a factor.
depending on the coils you have to be careful with certain acid cleaners as they can eat the solder that was used to make the coils.. alot of time of the dirt is topical... you can get it wet then use a coil brush and the glop will just come off...

you can use a nice no rinse cleaner.. you want no rinse as its tough to hose inside of the bus around the A/C unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Nu-Calgon-417...SIN=B00DM8KQ3I

you will also want to clean the coils underneath the bus too as those get very dirty too (im talking coach A/C)..

even insulated heat will still be a factor.. you will want air-conditioning esp for driving as school busses put off a ton of engine heat.. RE busses dont have that issue but conventionals and front engine busses tend to have "hot-seat" in the driver position...

-Christopher
Old 08-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #38
Skoolie

Take down should be pretty easy, its got quick connects on all the lines from up front, handful of wires that I will be taking pictures of. It's supported with 4 pieces of all thread so I'm thinking put my scaffold under it, shimmy up to it with some block then disco and gun the nuts off. We shall see.

I like the unit being at the back as it's (more or less) out of the way so I think ducting will be my best option.

Sorry CB, it says Florida on the left.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Take down should be pretty easy, its got quick connects on all the lines from up front, handful of wires that I will be taking pictures of. It's supported with 4 pieces of all thread so I'm thinking put my scaffold under it, shimmy up to it with some block then disco and gun the nuts off. We shall see.

I like the unit being at the back as it's (more or less) out of the way so I think ducting will be my best option.

Sorry CB, it says Florida on the left.
be sure to recover the freon first!!!! dont just yank the lines... freon can and will destroy eyes and skin ifyou arent careful...

then tape off the lines to keep dirt out... blue tape works fine..

when you re-install it, replace the receiver / drier (near the condenser usually).. evacuate to a vacuum and recharge... evacuating is important if you want it to cool most effectively...

your air-conditioner can still give you many more years of service if you treat it right.
-Christopher
Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #40
Skoolie

Don't worry, we're earth friendly down here FIL will be recovering and then handling the recharge, He's a major gearhead. Should have stated that.