Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliChzPoopTart View Post
Don't worry, we're earth friendly down here FIL will be recovering and then handling the recharge, He's a major gearhead. Should have stated that.

as im not worried as much about earth friendly as I am about safety..
I was on a Job working on a 120 Ton roof top unit (12,500 BTU is 1 ton.. so it was a big one).... I always wore long sleeves, gloves and safety goggles.. tis unit carried about 100 lbs of freon in it (was a split)... my coworker blew a gauge hose connected to the liquid line while recharging it... I was fine.. he suffered severe frostbite and burns to his eyes before I could get the hose unscrewed from the schraeder...

look for a label with te full charge amount on it... its usually placed somewhere by the coach builder or A/C install company... if the system was fully functional before you recover the charge and there;s no label , have your friend weigh out the amount of freon he recovers... you can use that as a base amount when recharging...

its tougher to recharge by gauges a Tie in were one unit is a TxV and te other is an orifice tube (te factory dash air).. takes some finesse to get it burly cold .

-Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Welp, I haven't done much the past month, family visits, doing 400 sqft of flooring, increased work hrs (this is day 22 in a row). This morning I got a little spare time and got something very important done, We are street legal.

ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Welp, I haven't done much the past month, family visits, doing 400 sqft of flooring, increased work hrs (this is day 22 in a row). This morning I got a little spare time and got something very important done, We are street legal.

Congrats Chili, getting street legal is a huge plus.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #44
Skoolie

Now i can start commuting in it
Old 09-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
Now i can start commuting in it
Ha! thatswhat ive done with my carpenter bus... t olearn how it drives and learn quirks, etc.. run errands in it, go to work ,etc....

I'll probably do it with the bird too.. driving it is the best way to learn it.
-Christopher
Old 10-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #46
Skoolie

Yeah, county dun goofed with my title, major fiasco. Won't let me take title to get it signed by this other county they are requiring a signature from, even though that county never owned the bus. Auctioneer is trying to handle it but sheesh, I'm right about sick of the small town I live in, they REALLY put it to you here. Our electric rate is double state average and we can't use a wholesaler inside city limits. They jacked my property value 38% before my homestead exemption went in, now it can only go up 10% per year. Nice people.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #47
Bus Geek

is that the same place and auctioneer where my latest Bus came from?

hopefully Ohio doesnt give me sh*t with my title.. it all looks legit from what I can tell..

what did they do? mix up the VIN numbers on your title? ive heard of auctioneers doing that quite a bit
-Christopher
Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #48
Skoolie

onlinepros, yup.

My county seems to think that since the title said Ft bend ISD, ft bend county that it means the bus was owned by the ISD and the county, which isn't the case. They want it signed by the county, but won't release the title because " we put it in our system" and seem to think that someone will drive from Ft Bend county (35ish miles) to sign it.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #49
Skoolie

Welp, OnlinePros got the title mess sorted out for me free of charge which was nice.

Last night I took her on a battery charging tour and found out there was a parade coming up the next road over, Local PD asked me to block an intersection with her and throw the flashers on. No problem. Some kid on one of the floats said "that's a gangster bus" Lulz.

I spent some time this morning clearing out all the panels and putting them on the curb, its just not worthwhile for me to take them to the scrap yard. Let the youngster in the (cleanish) bus to look around and then tore into the floor. I got about 1/3 of the flooring up, so far no real rust. I have replaced the pile of sheet metal with cut up plywood and rubber floor mat.

As a Temp seating arrangement I am going to get a set of the brackets my 3rd row expedition seat clicks into and just swap the bench to the bus for weekend outings. This may be a bad idea, we will see.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #50
Skoolie

Welp, been awhile.

Floor is torn out, ground and painted.

All decals are ground off.

Interior is ready for insulation.

Have my new fuel pump ready to install.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #51
Skoolie

Quote:
Welp, OnlinePros got the title mess sorted out for me free of charge which was nice.

Last night I took her on a battery charging tour and found out there was a parade coming up the next road over, Local PD asked me to block an intersection with her and throw the flashers on. No problem. Some kid on one of the floats said "that's a gangster bus" Lulz.

I spent some time this morning clearing out all the panels and putting them on the curb, its just not worthwhile for me to take them to the scrap yard. Let the youngster in the (cleanish) bus to look around and then tore into the floor. I got about 1/3 of the flooring up, so far no real rust. I have replaced the pile of sheet metal with cut up plywood and rubber floor mat.

As a Temp seating arrangement I am going to get a set of the brackets my 3rd row expedition seat clicks into and just swap the bench to the bus for weekend outings. This may be a bad idea, we will see.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #52
Skoolie

After awhile of no progress, starting to get back at it.

Replaced the driver wheel bearing- this sucked but not super horrible, bus is driveable again.

Tore down to chase the diesel leak. 6 hours and a couple margaritas later--- well long story short whoever replaced the fuel pump didn't tighten the hose clamp on the high pressure line. Put it back together, no more diesel leak.

Got the governor reprogrammed. Met the head mechanic of the local school district by chance and he did it for me. CALL YOUR LOCAL SCHOOL if you need to do engine code stuff. Also checked injector pressure and whatnot. Bus goes 68mph now vs 56. Much better. Also getting some better tires after the school year.

Buying insulation this week. Thinking foil foam board and leaving an air gap. dunno.

Hi Chris.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Awesome stuff!!! I was down in Houston last year hanging with friends had wondered where you went!
Christopher
Old 02-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #54
Skoolie

Yeah the whole kids thing kinda put the brakes on plans. Demo is complete though so I need to just get off my butt and build it.