Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #361
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd just like to paint one I own eventually.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #362
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Just find a local tag artist......he'd probably do it for free if you gave him an extra case of paint.

I knew painting mine early in the process would motivate me to keep making steady progress......the quicker it started looking like a camper, the better.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #363
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:

How many do you own?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #364
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
How many do you own?
Finally down to one. Ive had several.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #365
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Finally down to one. Ive had several.

You have been watching the results of people paint their bus with all kinds of paint longer than I have. To what paint/method are you leaning?
Old 01-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #366
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Just find a local tag artist......he'd probably do it for free if you gave him an extra case of paint.
That's a great idea! Our collective tastes are a bit more conservative, but if we had bus #2, I'd be very tempted to pursue something along those lines.

You bus continues to rock & inspire. With the exception of the initial gutting and sealing the floor, we're taking an 'outside-in' approach too. Hope to have the painting done by March. Then the fun begins!

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #367
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:

I knew painting mine early in the process would motivate me to keep making steady progress......the quicker it started looking like a camper, the better.
Part of me is hoping to go this route -- I have a certain artist is mind...

Enjoyed going through your build thread. Really like the wood work and how you did the roof deck...

I'm curious how you find the transom windows working out now that the interior is built?
And after removing the oem doorstep you then added a door step in front of the rear wheel -- it seems like it hangs down as far as the one you removed. Have you driven on any rough roads yet to see if it's a clearance problem?
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #368
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
That's a great idea! Our collective tastes are a bit more conservative
Mine too......but the guy who did my tats has done some pretty nice and tasteful murals also. I was thinking CB could get a nice Celtic flag on his for pretty cheap, then keep it or change it later.

What's your color scheme going to look like?

The Busted Flush
Old 01-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #369
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the props!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
I'm curious how you find the transom windows working out now that the interior is built?
And after removing the oem doorstep you then added a door step in front of the rear wheel -- it seems like it hangs down as far as the one you removed. Have you driven on any rough roads yet to see if it's a clearance problem?
I just finished framing those windows in the last 6 weeks or so, and haven't driven it since then. The wind flow was nice before framing (after most of the cabinets and all the countertops were in), so I don't think it will be any different now.

My original step had about 8" clearance.....the one I built is between 13-14". I've got a 'circuit' I drive after installations to make sure nothing falls on my head....about 10 miles of pot-holed paved road, 2-3 miles of dirt road, plus a couple of rutted, high-crowned 'woods roads' out to some tobacco barns my grandfather used to own. I haven't seen any high-centered issues with the step, although it does do a good job of pulling up weeds. I did design it so I can cut the 'legs' and raise the clearance another 4-5", but I don't think I'll need to. If I do, I'll have to carry a little stepstool around with me, as my knees aren't what they used to be.

The Busted Flush
Old 01-03-2020, 12:14 AM   #370
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks for the props!

I just finished framing those windows in the last 6 weeks or so, and haven't driven it since then. The wind flow was nice before framing (after most of the cabinets and all the countertops were in), so I don't think it will be any different now.

My original step had about 8" clearance.....the one I built is between 13-14". I've got a 'circuit' I drive after installations to make sure nothing falls on my head....about 10 miles of pot-holed paved road, 2-3 miles of dirt road, plus a couple of rutted, high-crowned 'woods roads' out to some tobacco barns my grandfather used to own. I haven't seen any high-centered issues with the step, although it does do a good job of pulling up weeds. I did design it so I can cut the 'legs' and raise the clearance another 4-5", but I don't think I'll need to. If I do, I'll have to carry a little stepstool around with me, as my knees aren't what they used to be.

I spent about 30 minutes staring (spacing out) at the last pic on page 16. Trying to figure out ways to make that side door treatment work for my bus (I have a Thomas flat nose (I didn't really come up with anything that would work into my current plans except turning my front door stairwell into an indoor/outdoor shower).

I did however keep seeing a vision of a shower with a shallow stainless tub right where your stair landing is (the bottom of the tub was set so that there was enough standing headroom at the side of the bus to be comfortable). There was a short 1 or 2 step metal stair that hinged so that it stowed in the landing for travel and could be flipped down when parked. The door was sealed so that the inside was waterproof. The 2 sidewalls were also waterproof and there was a curtain facing the hall. With this setup you were able to shut the door and take a shower or take a shower before coming inside - good for working, cooling off, or swimming. My imagination gets carried away sometimes ... I must of seen a dozen versions of this concept.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #371
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Mine too......but the guy who did my tats has done some pretty nice and tasteful murals also. I was thinking CB could get a nice Celtic flag on his for pretty cheap, then keep it or change it later.

What's your color scheme going to look like?
Surprised you haven't done that already, ECCB, based on your obvious passion
Has anyone considered vinyl wraps?

Our paint plan isn't exactly earth shattering. Just replacing factory colors with others. Pretty boring now that I think about it, lol. But considering the cost of paint, I think we're OK with boring at the moment The brown will be wood, not paint:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/pa...tml#post363344

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #372
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Surprised you haven't done that already, ECCB, based on your obvious passion
Has anyone considered vinyl wraps?

Our paint plan isn't exactly earth shattering. Just replacing factory colors with others. Pretty boring now that I think about it, lol. But considering the cost of paint, I think we're OK with boring at the moment The brown will be wood, not paint:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/pa...tml#post363344

I tailgate in the same lot with a State Farm Insurance rep. He has an older Ford short bus that has a vinyl wrap on it. He said it makes it look good and hides a lot of bad rust underneath in the body.

I also wonder if this makes a rust issue even worse trapping condensation?? I also don't think wraps are on the cheap side... Never priced one tho?
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #373
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I did however keep seeing a vision of a shower with a shallow stainless tub right where your stair landing is (the bottom of the tub was set so that there was enough standing headroom at the side of the bus to be comfortable).
Nothing wrong with that idea......I've read of a few folks who did that, and there is plenty of headroom while standing in my stepwell. The only drawback would be wet steps leading into the bus, but nothing a towel or bathmat wouldn't fix......would be worth it for a roomy shower stall.

The Busted Flush
Old 01-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #374
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Nothing wrong with that idea......I've read of a few folks who did that, and there is plenty of headroom while standing in my stepwell. The only drawback would be wet steps leading into the bus, but nothing a towel or bathmat wouldn't fix......would be worth it for a roomy shower stall.
I'm building in a tub that will project only 6" below the level of the factory floor, and that's about as far down as I can go and still get the natural drain over to the top of a 9" high grey water tank that will be flush with the bottom of my side skirt. You could have a shower stall lower than that in the stepwell but you'd have to have a pump for the drain.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #375
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I tailgate in the same lot with a State Farm Insurance rep. He has an older Ford short bus that has a vinyl wrap on it. He said it makes it look good and hides a lot of bad rust underneath in the body.

I also wonder if this makes a rust issue even worse trapping condensation?? I also don't think wraps are on the cheap side... Never priced one tho?
Next door neighbor that I bought the bike from works for a wrap company. I inquired about side wraps, $4k minimum.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:56 AM   #376
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Next door neighbor that I bought the bike from works for a wrap company. I inquired about side wraps, $4k minimum.

How big of a bus will 4K cover?
Old 01-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #377
Bus Geek

Quote:

I wana do a basic white paint job with lots of green accents.
AND get some areas done by a few local taggers I've gotten to know.
A LONG line of brand new box cars was brought into town a month ago. YOu wouldn't believe the quality of graffiti we're seeing here. Truly artwork!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #378
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
That is about the same quote that I got from an outfit in Seattle to wrap a six window cutaway.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #379
Bus Crazy

Quote:
A LONG line of brand new box cars was brought into town a month ago. YOu wouldn't believe the quality of graffiti we're seeing here. Truly artwork!
My employer's property backs up to a small switching yard, and we have to leave the property to smoke......so at break time I get treated to an art show that changes every couple of days.

The Busted Flush
Old 01-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #380
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
How big of a bus will 4K cover?