Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 09:25 PM   #261
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Thanks guys! Had originally painted them white, but didn't like the lack of contrast with the sisal, so black they became.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #262
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Good job, man! This is coming along so nicely. Love the cabinets and hatch.
desertfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #263
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
The Busted Flush

I like that long skinny window over your bunk. Might have to put one in ours. The line used as trim is a nice touch too.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #264
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
I like that long skinny window over your bunk. Might have to put one in ours.
I put one in the front end cap too......makes for a nice cool air flow when going down the road. I plan on a lot of desert Southwest in my retirement, and figured I'd appreciate them at some point.

Quote:
The line used as trim is a nice touch too.
Used more to cover up my atrocious jigsaw cuts than for aesthetic purposes.

The Busted Flush
Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #265
Bus Crazy

Got my countertops squared away, and roughed in all my backspashes and countertop railings.....the backspashes, railings, and the edges of the countertops will all be stained to match my doors. Quarter-round molding will be black.

The bar flaps open for access to the shower/toilet combo. Was thinking of putting a slope in the upper part of the floor (over the wheel well), but may just build a sloping cover to fit over the toilet when showering....still pondering that one.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #266
Skoolie

Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
Those overhead cabinets look great! As do the counter tops! You are doing great with the fine details!

What are you going to use for a curtain rod for the shower/toilet?
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #267
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post

What are you going to use for a curtain rod for the shower/toilet?
I'm planning on a (roughly) 4" tall x 4" deep 'cabinet' running the length of the shower opening, mounted as high on the window wall as I can. The cabinet door (with shower curtain rod mounted to its inside) will open to span the 'bed' side of the stall, and another rod to swing out and span the opposite side. This second rod will be about 5 1/2' long with a hinge in the middle, which will then swivel outward to span the hallway side of the stall. And a luan 'door' will slide out to cover the stall entrance.

Since the shower curtains will only be about 3' long, I'm thinking they will dry fairly quickly and be able to be folded up and stored in a short time. And if I can really perfect my Navy shower technique, they won't get wet at all.

The Busted Flush
Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #268
Bus Crazy

Needed an interior handrail, but didn't like anything at Lowes, so made one out of countertop scraps.

Now that most of the interior is built, my counters don't need to double as sawhorses anymore.....so I thought I'd go ahead and finish them, along with the overheads and loveseat. A weekend of filling, sanding, staining, painting, and urethaning. Probably inhaled a pound of dust, and absorbed about a pint of various harmful chemicals through my hands and fingers, but it turned out quite nicely. Will be adding at least two more coats of spar urethane over the next week or two. I have wood buttons to fill the holes in the rails, but won't install them until after I cut electrical outlets into the backsplashes. Speaking of backsplashes, they need......something. A row of small tiles, maybe?
Attached Thumbnails

The Busted Flush
Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #269
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Needed an interior handrail, but didn't like anything at Lowes, so made one out of countertop scraps.

Now that most of the interior is built, my counters don't need to double as sawhorses anymore.....so I thought I'd go ahead and finish them, along with the overheads and loveseat. A weekend of filling, sanding, staining, painting, and urethaning. Probably inhaled a pound of dust, and absorbed about a pint of various harmful chemicals through my hands and fingers, but it turned out quite nicely. Will be adding at least two more coats of spar urethane over the next week or two. I have wood buttons to fill the holes in the rails, but won't install them until after I cut electrical outlets into the backsplashes. Speaking of backsplashes, they need......something. A row of small tiles, maybe?
looking good - I like the upholstery - did you do that yourself?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #270
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
looking good - I like the upholstery - did you do that yourself?
I did (you can see one corner is pulled tighter than the others).

On the positive side, I work for a furniture manufacturer, so the scrap plywood, discontinued foam set, and leftover leather hide were all free.

The Busted Flush
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #271
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
I did (you can see one corner is pulled tighter than the others).

On the positive side, I work for a furniture manufacturer, so the scrap plywood, discontinued foam set, and leftover leather hide were all free.
nice job - nice find - I was looking for Naugahyde the other evening, but it appears that Naugas must have been hunted to extinction - now they are promoting 'Fleather' - never heard of that one before - wonder if that one is facing extinction now? - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #272
Bus Nut

Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Looks great. I like the overhead cabinets & how they are slanted toward the walls a bit. That and the sliding doors probably help it feel roomier in there?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #273
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
Looks great. I like the overhead cabinets & how they are slanted toward the walls a bit. That and the sliding doors probably help it feel roomier in there?
Very much so. When I did my overhead mockup (cardboard and coathangers) I let them hang straight down....quickly realized that a) I couldn't lean my hip against the countertop without my shoulder pushing the mockup back about 6 inches, and b) if leaning against the counter while facing it, I could only see about half the depth of my countertop....not ideal for cooking or washing dishes. But when I reduced the depth and height of the mockup, I felt I was giving up way too much storage space.....so the slant was a good compromise. Now my line-of-sight is almost to the base of the backsplashes.

And the sliding doors were a given from Day One....didn't want to be parked on uneven ground and walking into doors all the time......happens often enough in my apartment parked on flat ground.

The Busted Flush
Old 05-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #274
Bus Crazy

Changed the oil in the beast today......been debating whether or not I needed to, because it still looks pretty good.....but since I have no idea when it was done last, I figured this would give me a baseline. $140 for 7 gallons of Rotella and filter, which is about 575 miles in bus travel (I've started looking at everything I buy now in terms of how far I could travel on it -- I don't know if that's healthy or obsessive). Will send a sample to Blackstone.

And after seeing trunt's pop-up a million times, it finally dawned on me that I could adapt that for my own use. I've been wondering how to open the hatch for heat release without having the sun shine in and raise the temp. Grabbed a scrap piece of 3/8" ply and some unused hinges and cobbled up a pop-up. One-hand operation, which is always a plus in my book.
Attached Thumbnails

The Busted Flush
Old 05-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #275
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Take a Sharpie and write the mileage and date on the filter, that way you don't have to remember where you wrote it down.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #276
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I'm doing the same thing. Well, almost the same thing. Dern'd near...
Actually, exactly the opposite of your layout.

Quote:
Very much so. When I did my overhead mockup (cardboard and coathangers) I let them hang straight down....quickly realized that a) I couldn't lean my hip against the countertop without my shoulder pushing the mockup back about 6 inches, and b) if leaning against the counter while facing it, I could only see about half the depth of my countertop....not ideal for cooking or washing dishes. But when I reduced the depth and height of the mockup, I felt I was giving up way too much storage space.....so the slant was a good compromise. Now my line-of-sight is almost to the base of the backsplashes.

And the sliding doors were a given from Day One....didn't want to be parked on uneven ground and walking into doors all the time......happens often enough in my apartment parked on flat ground. [emoji2]
Mine slant out from the wall, at a less acute, complementary angle than yours. (If'n ya want precise degrees, I'll look for it mañana. Been a long day)
I left one rib interstitial open, right above my gas rings & hotplate. Thereby permitting the exploration of culinary endeavors worthy of the finest swinery, all without inadvertently getting a nipple pierced on the cupboard.
As yet uncovered, my theory is, coupled with the slight drop in the floor towards the wall, things'll be less inclined to enact the Lemming's ritual attempt at becoming aerial rodents, whilst I'm transitting.
Also, the top-hinged doors will be inclined to remain close. Restraints may be required.
Waiting fills...

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Take a Sharpie and write the mileage and date on the filter, that way you don't have to remember where you wrote it down.
Good hint!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #277
Bus Crazy

Started on the shelving over the bed in the rear. Since I've never decided what to do with the flashers, I'm just going to seal them from the inside with some of my tin wall material, then re-install the lenses.....I want to maintain the school bus look. Shelves in the back will have netting to hold everything in place.

And began my shower/toilet layout.

I dug this old tower fan out of my closet where it's been for the last 3 years and carried it out to the bus.....ran it on its side for an hour, upside-down for an hour, and accidentally dropped it twice.....it just laughed at me. I'm going to remove my rear-view mirror (kinda useless since I blanked all my lower window panes in the back) and mount the fan there, on its' side.....good use of dead space. I'll build a cradle for it, and a pivot point on the 'base' end, so I can rotate it slightly to hit the bed, or pivot about 45 degrees to hit the couch. It's actually about an inch and a half shorter than my mirror. And it can also serve double-duty as a sun visor.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 05-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #278
Bus Crazy

The engine has been idling rough the last couple of weekends (probably sucking up the dregs from the bottom of the tank), so I filled up, drained the water separator, changed the fuel filter, and added a bottle of Seafoam......I could actually hear/feel that stuff smoothing out the roughness. Purrs like a big, loud, ugly kitten now.

And removed the base from my tower fan and mounted it. I can feel it on its low setting all the way in the back of the bus......effective AND out-of-the-way......best of both worlds when you have a shorty. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts running on its side. Right now it's zip-tied, but if it keeps running for a while, I'll secure it with cable instead.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #279
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
The bus is looking great!!! My favorite line is... "Purrs like a big, loud, ugly kitten now". ��. Love it!!!
Old 05-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #280
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
What he ^ said!
[emoji38]