Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The Juke Bus

Hey everyone, Jukes here. I finally have myself a bus!! Originally planned on a mid-size bus, but after a lot of thinking about what my needs are and my intended use I went with a short bus. I’m really happy with my bus. Drove it 400miles immediately after signing for it and had no major issues.

Bus details:
Year:* 2000
Make:* Chevrolet
Model:* G3500
Mileage:* 95,156
Engine:* 5.7L/Gas
Transmission:* Automatic
Tires:* LT225/75R16
Former life: Parks and Recreation vehicle

Things I noticed on the drive:
The alignment needs love. My arms were stiff after six hours of trying to keep it from drifting right. The steering wheel is also not straight while I’m driving straight. The lights turned off twice while night driving. They turned on immediately after cycling off then on. Not sure if buses have a weird timer setting for lights, but once I moved the switch to the third or the most upward setting the lights stayed on for the last two hours of the trip. So will definitely need to give my electrical some love.

Plans:
I intend to use it as a weekender vehicle for the next few years while I’m converting it. In about four years I plan to full time in it and travel around for a bit. It’s a small space but I intend to utilize every square inch to the max. I’m installing a shower/toilet, kitchen, and bed. I want to be as self-sustaining as possible by adding solar panels and avoiding a black water tank with the use of a dry flush toilet and installing a generously sized grey water tank. Ambitious for a small space, I know. But with proper research it will all happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jukes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Nice find. Being a Parks & rec. bus, I bet the front end DOES need some love. Glad your 1st trip ended well, and look forward to seeing what you do inside. What kind of mpg did you get on the trip? I've thought about that drive train, thinking that the mechanicals are so common, that they would be easy to service.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Nice find. Being a Parks & rec. bus, I bet the front end DOES need some love. Glad your 1st trip ended well, and look forward to seeing what you do inside. What kind of mpg did you get on the trip? I've thought about that drive train, thinking that the mechanicals are so common, that they would be easy to service.

MPG was nothing impressive. I used nearly a full tank to travel almost 400 miles. So roughly 12mpg.

I was told there was a governor installed, but I was able to hit 90mph on I-95 with no issue. Once I get my plates and registration I'm going to take it to get a full service and see what kind of issues, if any, that I may have to fix.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Mines a bit older but I'm struggling to hit 9 mpg. Is your transmission a overdrive/4speed? Mine a 3 speed with 4.10 geared rear.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
yellowxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that van should have a 4L80E or 4L60E. which is 4 speed (O/D) lockup.

he also should have the vortec heads with the rail fuel injection on that 5.7

I dont think in that year the Allison was available... that came later and mainly on diesels... though I thought it may have been optional for commercial cutaway chassis.. if so it would be a 1000.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hey yellowxj,

Senor Christopher was spot on. My bus is a 4 speed HD Automatic w/OD. I'm not super vehicle savvy yet so I can't really comment on the other things he mentioned

Old 06-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Got some work done on the bus. Removed all the seats. Tossed the cushions and plan to take the metal frames to the scrap yard. It took us three hours to get all the seats out.

Next step inner skin and floor removal.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Sweet. Progress feels good. I need to build a screen on my lower back window like you have.

yellowxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxj View Post
Sweet. Progress feels good. I need to build a screen on my lower back window like you have.

The screen is a great addition. Kind of blocks the view from the outside in and it protects the wondow from damage. I unfortunately broke a window on the passenger door when a lose cooler slide in to it. Lesson learned...secure everything.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Been a while since Ive posted an update. I was in the middle of a move to a new state. Worked out having the bus though. I was able to put my belongings into it instead of renting a uhaul.

But Ive been in my new home two weeks now and figured it was time I got some work done on the bus. Today I ripped out the rubber flooring and about 2/3 of the plywood. Was ridiculously hard work but I'm happy with the progress.

I also lucked out with a new home for my bus. The parents of a friend offered to let me store it in their barn. The barn has electricity so it doubles as my workshop with access to their tools. So very grateful for their kindness.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Removed my heater for now so it's out of the way while I work on the floor.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Consider replacing that heater with this: - a hydronic baseboard heater.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Do explain more for those of us with no knowledge of those units please.
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 AM   #14
Skoolie

Basically the coolant of the engine will run trough and heat up the radiator inside and you will have heat ONLY when running the engine.

You can add a valve before to turn it off on summer, is basically the same kind of heater you pulled off but flat and with no fan.
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes13 View Post

You go, nip the rust right in the bud. OSPHO that and it'll be looking sharp. Luckily looks like just surface rust and not much deep pitting, that's great.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post

Wow thanks for the suggestion! Hadn't seen this model before. Will definitely look into it.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipoffools View Post
You go, nip the rust right in the bud. OSPHO that and it'll be looking sharp. Luckily looks like just surface rust and not much deep pitting, that's great.

I was pretty excited with the condition of the floor. Will definitely prep it and get it treated.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

It’s been a hot minute, but the build continues. It’s slow going with work and the bus being 40mins from my home. But I’m happy to have a safe place to store my skoolie while I slowly make progress.

Pretty much done with deconstruction and about to transition into construction. Pretty darn exciting.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
This is a fun time with a sense of accomplishment for your bus. Now the spending starts.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Can anyone help me find where I can buy this broken mirror piece? My neighbor hit it with her ride on mower and it’s been a pain trying to find the part. I have a service manual but when I look up the part numbers on the blue bird site nothing comes up. I’m at a loss. I don’t know the name for the piece and there’s no part number visible on it. The mirror is still good. I think I just need the bracket portion to fix it.

Btw, this bus build is still happening. I just take things massively slow and rarely ask questions. I just struggle bus my way through things lol.
Attached Thumbnails
B5EA4F34-EEB3-4DC3-B4F7-DB1344770613.png   BB8CFF8D-71F1-450F-92AF-C112D7B9E8CB.jpg   37620006-9366-4543-A163-8C89BC8D0AB9.jpg