Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Both cam sensor and throttle cable are easy to replace DIY. Check it out closely and see if it's something you could handle on your own, save you $100. I have faith in you.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Both cam sensor and throttle cable are easy to replace DIY. Check it out closely and see if it's something you could handle on your own, save you $100. I have faith in you.
Thank you! I appreciate the vote of confidence. But while I do think I could do it and it would make a nice video, the bus isn't drivable and it's already in their shop. So unless they quote it crazy high I'll probably let them do it.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Thank you! I appreciate the vote of confidence. But while I do think I could do it and it would make a nice video, the bus isn't drivable and it's already in their shop. So unless they quote it crazy high I'll probably let them do it.
I was thinking since the cable broke it would not be driveable and now you have the expense of a tow also. Hopefully they will treat you okay on the bill. I wonder if it broke with them driving it, aren't they responsible for the tow?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I would get a pic of the broken cable before removed. No trust till they earn it.

Who knows what they tell some unsuspecting person?

John
Old 06-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I would get a pic of the broken cable before removed. No trust till they earn it.

Who knows what they tell some unsuspecting person?

John
x2 on that. Especially since you've got no experience, good or bad, with this shop.
Also ask them to save all broken or damaged parts. It might be easy enough to see if the cable actually broke from wear or???

Back to your shifting issue. Was the throttle acting okay before this visit, or did it seem to stay revving after taking your foot off the pedal?

I'm struggling with the cable being the culprit, especially if it was only happening when shifting into 3rd gear.
The cam pos. sensor either works or it doesn't. Usually when it fails, the engine will not run.
Was Max hard starting in warm weather?
Did he or she run erratically/rough at any time recently?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I was thinking since the cable broke it would not be driveable and now you have the expense of a tow also. Hopefully they will treat you okay on the bill. I wonder if it broke with them driving it, aren't they responsible for the tow?
Yeah, they towed it back to their shop with their own truck, no charge to me.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
x2 on that. Especially since you've got no experience, good or bad, with this shop.
Also ask them to save all broken or damaged parts. It might be easy enough to see if the cable actually broke from wear or???

Back to your shifting issue. Was the throttle acting okay before this visit, or did it seem to stay revving after taking your foot off the pedal?

I'm struggling with the cable being the culprit, especially if it was only happening when shifting into 3rd gear.
The cam pos. sensor either works or it doesn't. Usually when it fails, the engine will not run.
Was Max hard starting in warm weather?
Did he or she run erratically/rough at any time recently?
It wasn't only 3rd, I was mistaken on that. In my effort to find thyme and reason I think I got attached to that idea but I can say for sure it was happening in other gears. I spent more time in 3rd than probably any other gear driving around town, so I think that's why it seemed that way at first. The revving didn't continue with my foot off the pedal; What would happen is, a normal gear shift would occur, then with my foot in the same spot or having let up a bit, it would rev upwards and then drop back down.

As far as the idea that the sensor either works or doesn't, that confuses me because I found at least 3 threads on various sites where the tach sensor turned out to be the culprit in vehicles that were running in ways that were similar to the way Max has been running, describing in detail the over-revving I experienced. I'll try to find those links. I wouldn't say he was hard to start, but a little harder than I expected lately since it's been very warm, and I've gotten white smoke from the tailpipe a few times in the past few weeks, which is not something I usually see in warm weather.

Max tends to run rough for the first fifteen or so minutes after start-up: I call that lawnmower time. That's pretty much always been the case, though, nothing really new there. But other than that and the over-revving thing, I wouldn't describe it as rough.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Right now they are apparently having a hard time finding the cable. I found one and sent him the link but he tried to actually purchase it, it said it was not currently available. I tried too, same response. There are kits that could be used but from what I have read it's best to use the OEM part, and he said the same thing before I did.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #49
Bus Nut

I posted the outcome of the situation on the "over revving" thread. Here, I'm gonna post the next video!

Old 06-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Feet???
Mine are non-photogenic, but if the buyer isn't fussy I might be game!?
Post a link, if you please, absolutely at your leisure...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #51
Bus Nut

I missed posting a few here; life has been a little turbulent lately. But here's the one I posted this week: