Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: GMC P3500
Engine: 6.2L
The Lyme Basturd

I have had and have been living in the bus now for about 5 months, haven't done much, but then again I'm just getting started. More to come...

First round of pictures:

That last picture is Frank (the Dancing Dog), he has claimed the extra bed as his own!

Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: The Lyme Basturd

Round 2 of pictures. I ripped out the extra bed that was there when I bought it, It's only me (and my dog Frank) so I only needed one bed. But I used the wood from the extra bed and built a bench seat going down one side... Take a look:

Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Round 3, Bus naming:

So I wanted a name for the bus that not only fit it but also reflected my personality. The original owners of the bus (City of Lyme) must have used it to haul old folks around town cause it has lettering on it still that reads: "Funded by Eastern Connecticut Area Agency on Aging and the..." there was another word or two which was painted over for some reason. So I decided to name the bus The Lyme Basturd. The Bastard part of the name is probably self explanatory to most bus owners... but it comes from all the stress I went thru trying to get the thing running when I first got it. I bought the bus for $300, had to replace the glow plug controller, I am no diesel engine mechanic... but I am learning as I go. Then once it was running I starting having starter problems and got stuck in Atlanta GA. I have it running great now, but part of the fix was rigging a wire with a door bell switch down to the starter so I could "jump" start it if the key-start messed up again. I pronounce it "Lie-Mee" to give it a bit of a Pirate sound, lol... and since I was misreading Lyme I figured why not spell Bastard wrong, and in a funny way... so the name "The Lyme Basturd" was born!

Since then I decided to fill in the blank left by what ever was painted over before, and now the back reads: "Funded by Eastern Connecticut Area Agency on Aging and the... INSAIN" (and yes I know I spelled insane wrong... that's starting to be part of the theme, lol.)

Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Lyme (Ct.) is the next town over from me. Far from a city-pop. apx. 5000. I looked up their website-dont see anything in the name to go after "and the". I'm sure I must have driven past your bus at some point in its life.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

So seeing as how you are funded by the Eastern CT Area Agency on Aging and the Insain, I assume you are one or the other, or both? How do you manage to live in your bus in a place like CT anyway? Having grown up there, and having some familiarity with the state, I'd think CT would not be very hospitable to bus dwellers. Of course I'm from the New Haven area which is a bit different than Old Lyme.

Edit: Actually I think it used to be "Eastern CT Area Agency on Aging and the Disabled"
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
So seeing as how you are funded by the Eastern CT Area Agency on Aging and the Insain, I assume you are one or the other, or both? How do you manage to live in your bus in a place like CT anyway? Having grown up there, and having some familiarity with the state, I'd think CT would not be very hospitable to bus dwellers. Of course I'm from the New Haven area which is a bit different than Old Lyme.

Edit: Actually I think it used to be "Eastern CT Area Agency on Aging and the Disabled"
I'm actually in Athens GA, the bus was originally from Lyme, then bought by a friend of mine off ebay (i think) and then sold to me...
Old 12-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Lyme (Ct.) is the next town over from me. Far from a city-pop. apx. 5000. I looked up their website-dont see anything in the name to go after "and the". I'm sure I must have driven past your bus at some point in its life.
I've never been there so I had no idea what Lyme was like... It's a small world.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #8

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408
Rated Cap: 65

Lyme, CT is rural...a mix of farms and wealthy people's homes mostly along the Connecticut River. It is a big money small town.
Jonathan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #9

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408
Rated Cap: 65

Lyme, CT is rural...a mix of farms and wealthy people's homes mostly along the Connecticut River. It is a big money small town.
Jonathan M is offline   Reply With Quote