Old 09-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #101
Year: 1982
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
You have noises in the engine? One or more?

When do you hear the noise:

All the time
At idle
On the road while cruising
On the road under acceleration

Can you do anything, like lift your foot off the accelerator pedal a little to make the noise go away?

Do you have an oil pressure light? Does the light come on when the engine is running?

If you have an oil pressure gauge, what does it read? Does the needle drop to zero (or very low) when you take your foot off the accelerator and climb back up a bit when you step on the accelerator?

Does the engine run hot on the temperature gauge?

These are questions a mechanic would ask.
Engine noise and rattle I'm referring to in the first bit are just the amount of noise I have in the cabin when I'm on the road. And what I think is just my windows making a racket going over uneven road. I need to sound proof.

The knock (i think) is related to a prob I had all along our drive. And that's acceleration between 20-30 miles an hour that's like a stutter on the engine, like losing gas before it picks up again. Letting off the pedal would result in the bus dying. Keeping my foot down got us through and once past 25 or 30 we would be just cruising on the highway, totally fine. This problem only happened when we were getting up to highway speed after the bus has been off for awhile. Coming into a town and driving around at normal town speeds we were fine, no problems.

The knock didn't actually start to happen until after we had her parked for a week or two on this side and needed to relocate the bus a short distance for storage. It happens right along side the stuttering problem during acceleration. I've got an oil guage, and I can't recall it moving when I let off the pedal. The engine ran hot on the trip when we first started out after a stop, but as long as we weren't pushing her too hard (70mph on a 115 degree day) it seemed to be fine.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote