Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Gotta be shorter than that. I like being able to park in a regular parking spot.
I park my RedByrd in 1 and a half spots.. its a 6 window Bluebird.. I like the full size (but short) Chassis just because it feels more Butch to drive it
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #112
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I can park mine in a regular parking spot -- plus quite a few more!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #113
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
My nine window FE takes 1 1/2 parking spots too. That's a vote for FEs.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #114
Almost There

Year: 1982
Chassis: GMC
And my 5 window fits quite cozily into one.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #115
Bus Geek

But you don't have a garage in the back of your bus.

I'll be a Walmart and Winco shopper because of the double length parking spaces.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #116
Bus Geek

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
My nine window FE takes 1 1/2 parking spots too. That's a vote for FEs.
I just don't get the RE fanfare. I'm a huge fan of FE.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #117
Bus Geek

My biggest complaint is laying down to reach the engine.

Ideally I'd like to adjust my engine fan to come on easier, if that's possible on this bus, but I'm not willing to take out the radiator to do that unless I've got a bad coolant pump or something. Me and the bus will just take it easy on hot days. I haven't overheated yet but I'm on the high side of normal on a hot day climbing the hills to get home. So yes, engine access would be my biggest complaint.

I don't have a problem with heat on the highway on hot days. When I'm hill climbing and the fan does finally come on it scares the begeebees out of me. Hot air will blow out from under the doghouse cover forcefully. It makes me think I blew a hose but there's no steam.

I've had three dognose buses, a van style and this FE. Never had a RE so I can't make a comparison there. I'm still looking for that shorty RE.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #118
Almost There

I seem to have wandered into a conversation I wasn't even having about rear engines or front engines.

No garage: true. But, my goal is to travel as light as possible. Though, I don't think I could've gone any smaller than this, too many hobbies.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #119
Bus Geek

Actually we're agreeing about FEs, particularly as space saving vehicles even if it's only a few feet more in comparison to a RE. Don't get us started on a dognose discussion.

Penny; My biggest argument about space is I was told years ago that a medium size bus will get approximately the same gas mileage, and sometimes better, than a shorty. My motto is "better to much than not enough." This 26' bus would be a 32' bus if it were a dognose. I find a lot of security in having a garage for a dual sport bike in the rear of the bus as an emergency shopping vehicle. Think of it this way. If the garage is empty it makes a heck of a big closet.

I do have more space than I need. I like the fact that I could put a piano in the back of my bus while traveling if the occasion arose.

An older five window shorty is 25' in length. This nine window FE is 26' in length. A 25' shorty doesn't really park in a single space any better than a 26' FE. Meanwhile I get the same or better MPG in comparison to a shorty. It just seemed logical to take the extra space at the same operational cost.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #120
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

Penny; My biggest argument about space is I was told years ago that a medium size bus will get approximately the same gas mileage, and sometimes better, than a shorty. My motto is "better to much than not enough." This 26' bus would be a 32' bus if it were a dognose. I find a lot of security in having a garage for a dual sport bike in the rear of the bus as an emergency shopping vehicle. Think of it this way. If the garage is empty it makes a heck of a big closet.

I do have more space than I need. I like the fact that I could put a piano in the back of my bus while traveling if the occasion arose.

An older five window shorty is 25' in length. This nine window FE is 26' in length. A 25' shorty doesn't really park in a single space any better than a 26' FE. Meanwhile I get the same or better MPG in comparison to a shorty. It just seemed logical to take the extra space at the same operational cost.
I guess it's all just a matter of what you find. After a year of looking, I found a 21 foot short bus in my backyard that I fell in love with. (Crap, might even be shorter than that, think I'm remembering the box truck we used to own). The scooter goes just fine on the back. The beauty of customizing your own bus is everyone gets to have their own just to their taste. I mean, how could you not love a bitty bus like this: