Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #101
Almost There

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
You have noises in the engine? One or more?

When do you hear the noise:

Sometime
All the time
At idle
On the road while cruising
On the road under acceleration

Can you do anything, like lift your foot off the accelerator pedal a little to make the noise go away?

Do you have an oil pressure light? Does the light come on when the engine is running?

If you have an oil pressure gauge, what does it read? Does the needle drop to zero (or very low) when you take your foot off the accelerator and climb back up a bit when you step on the accelerator?

Does the engine run hot on the temperature gauge?

These are questions a mechanic would ask.
Engine noise and rattle I'm referring to in the first bit are just the amount of noise I have in the cabin when I'm on the road. And what I think is just my windows making a racket going over uneven road. I need to sound proof.

The knock (i think) is related to a prob I had all along our drive. And that's acceleration between 20-30 miles an hour that's like a stutter on the engine, like losing gas before it picks up again. Letting off the pedal would result in the bus dying. Keeping my foot down got us through and once past 25 or 30 we would be just cruising on the highway, totally fine. This problem only happened when we were getting up to highway speed after the bus has been off for awhile. Coming into a town and driving around at normal town speeds we were fine, no problems.

The knock didn't actually start to happen until after we had her parked for a week or two on this side and needed to relocate the bus a short distance for storage. It happens right along side the stuttering problem during acceleration. I've got an oil guage, and I can't recall it moving when I let off the pedal. The engine ran hot on the trip when we first started out after a stop, but as long as we weren't pushing her too hard (70mph on a 115 degree day) it seemed to be fine.

Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #102
Almost There

Well, well, well, been neglecting the poor Penelope for nearly a year. No way to treat a nice bus. But, that's what happens when she doesn't get to live with me. That's alright, we're on to greener pastures soon.

Getting back to work for our second long road trip. Gonna let a mechanic handle a few things. My goal this time: all about minimizing that heat, since apparently I have to take all my trips in the South in July.

Numero Uno:
Install roller shades on all windows (not looking too bad)
Numero Dos:
Get AC that runs off of solar this time (check, just gotta get it up in the window)
Numero Tres:
Insulate and seal engine compartment to keep us from getting the hot foot. Whatever was on there before had basically disintegrated.
Numero Quatro:
If I'm feeling fancy I'll get a deadbolt on the door instead of a padlock.

For anybody, which is probably everybody, who hasn't heard about the hell trip of driving Penelope from Southern California to Southern Florida last July... We thought we had AC all ready to go. Wrong. Our inverter did not have enough power to kick it on. There was nary a window covering in sight. And, whatever had been insulating the engine compartment had long ago disintegrated along with the seals all around the box. Meaning in 115 degree heat, whoever was driving had all the engine heat blown directly at their legs. The cats lived with ice packs on them for 11 days. We were all around wretched.

I'm sure we will learn another load of lessons on this trip, but it's only 6 days instead of 11 and hopefully we'll be just a hair cooler. I'll get some pictures up later when we've got them goals accomplished.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #103
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
You do realize that driving a full size bus in the heat most of them are built with 100,000 plus btu of road air conditioning.. a little window unit might take the edge off but it's not gonna be windows closed nice n cold inside on the road...
insulating the engine bay is part of it. Stopping the heat thy comes between the engine bay and the cab requires sealing around every and I mean every opening. As well as someone's thexheat goes between the plywood floor and the metal floor and comes Inc around the main supports of the driver console etc...

Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #104
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
You do realize that driving a full size bus in the heat most of them are built with 100,000 plus btu of road air conditioning.. a little window unit might take the edge off but it's not gonna be windows closed nice n cold inside on the road...
insulating the engine bay is part of it. Stopping the heat thy comes between the engine bay and the cab requires sealing around every and I mean every opening. As well as someone's thexheat goes between the plywood floor and the metal floor and comes Inc around the main supports of the driver console etc...

Christopher
Yes I realize that we're not going to get it ice cold inside. We just need it to be bearable. Part of the plan will be driving early in the mornings. If the cats can hang, we can hang.

Right now we won't be doing the full front end insulation, but that's on the list...rebuilding the entire dash (because it's ugly, hot and noisy). But, we'll get the engine box all done up and hopefully, at the very least keep it from blowing hot engine air directly at our legs. Still we'll keep the spray bottle of water up there in case of the hot leg.

In any case, I'm hoping that the combination of adjustments we're making will make some bit of difference from last year's ride. If not, we'll be back to the drawing board again and that just seems to be part of the love/hate relationship with having a skoolie and doing it yourself. Build rebuild build rebuild.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #105
Bus Geek

in my carpenter im running 65K BTU of A/C.. 25k of that is my custom Dash air.. when im running into the sun on my many trips to florida in summer, im not sweating but im not nice N cold either.. Ive been insulating and sealing up the engine bay.. lots more to do too.. window coverings should help ..

I liked the old carpenter dash like yours has.. rode an 82 to school one year..

skoolie-ism is an ongoingforever project.. ha! just like hotrodding was for me years ago.. when I *DID* finally finish a hotrod.. I always sold it... and got another "mess" to rebuild..
-Christopher
Old 06-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #106
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
See what happens when you drive a Skoolie with an up-front engine? One more vote for a RE bus!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #107
Almost There

Quote:
in my carpenter im running 65K BTU of A/C.. 25k of that is my custom Dash air.. when im running into the sun on my many trips to florida in summer, im not sweating but im not nice N cold either.. Ive been insulating and sealing up the engine bay.. lots more to do too.. window coverings should help ..

I liked the old carpenter dash like yours has.. rode an 82 to school one year..

skoolie-ism is an ongoingforever project.. ha! just like hotrodding was for me years ago.. when I *DID* finally finish a hotrod.. I always sold it... and got another "mess" to rebuild..
-Christopher
We're looking forward to when we're gonna make the investment in the front dash air. For now, I'll settle for not feeling like I'm going to pass out. Not sweating would be even better.

I wouldn't mind the dash if it weren't so damn noisy, but we'll see what putting this new insulation in will do. I am mighty itchy from pulling out the old stuff today. Did not come out like the stuff in the walls or the ceiling in nice smooth sheets. Just crumbled. Good day to wear shorts. Ha!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #108
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
See what happens when you drive a Skoolie with an up-front engine? One more vote for a RE bus!
Point me to a shortie with a rear engine and I'm in!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #109
Bus Geek

the shortest ive seen was a thomas 8 window RE...
-Christopher
Old 06-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #110
Almost There

Quote:
the shortest ive seen was a thomas 8 window RE...
-Christopher
Gotta be shorter than that. I like being able to park in a regular parking spot.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #111
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Gotta be shorter than that. I like being able to park in a regular parking spot.
I park my RedByrd in 1 and a half spots.. its a 6 window Bluebird.. I like the full size (but short) Chassis just because it feels more Butch to drive it
-Christopher
Old 06-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #112
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I can park mine in a regular parking spot -- plus quite a few more!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #113
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
My nine window FE takes 1 1/2 parking spots too. That's a vote for FEs.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #114
Almost There

And my 5 window fits quite cozily into one.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #115
Bus Geek

But you don't have a garage in the back of your bus.

I'll be a Walmart and Winco shopper because of the double length parking spaces.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #116
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
My nine window FE takes 1 1/2 parking spots too. That's a vote for FEs.
I just don't get the RE fanfare. I'm a huge fan of FE.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #117
Bus Geek

My biggest complaint is laying down to reach the engine.

Ideally I'd like to adjust my engine fan to come on easier, if that's possible on this bus, but I'm not willing to take out the radiator to do that unless I've got a bad coolant pump or something. Me and the bus will just take it easy on hot days. I haven't overheated yet but I'm on the high side of normal on a hot day climbing the hills to get home. So yes, engine access would be my biggest complaint.

I don't have a problem with heat on the highway on hot days. When I'm hill climbing and the fan does finally come on it scares the begeebees out of me. Hot air will blow out from under the doghouse cover forcefully. It makes me think I blew a hose but there's no steam.

I've had three dognose buses, a van style and this FE. Never had a RE so I can't make a comparison there. I'm still looking for that shorty RE.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #118
Almost There

I seem to have wandered into a conversation I wasn't even having about rear engines or front engines.

No garage: true. But, my goal is to travel as light as possible. Though, I don't think I could've gone any smaller than this, too many hobbies.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #119
Bus Geek

Actually we're agreeing about FEs, particularly as space saving vehicles even if it's only a few feet more in comparison to a RE. Don't get us started on a dognose discussion.

Penny; My biggest argument about space is I was told years ago that a medium size bus will get approximately the same gas mileage, and sometimes better, than a shorty. My motto is "better to much than not enough." This 26' bus would be a 32' bus if it were a dognose. I find a lot of security in having a garage for a dual sport bike in the rear of the bus as an emergency shopping vehicle. Think of it this way. If the garage is empty it makes a heck of a big closet.

I do have more space than I need. I like the fact that I could put a piano in the back of my bus while traveling if the occasion arose.

An older five window shorty is 25' in length. This nine window FE is 26' in length. A 25' shorty doesn't really park in a single space any better than a 26' FE. Meanwhile I get the same or better MPG in comparison to a shorty. It just seemed logical to take the extra space at the same operational cost.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #120
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

Penny; My biggest argument about space is I was told years ago that a medium size bus will get approximately the same gas mileage, and sometimes better, than a shorty. My motto is "better to much than not enough." This 26' bus would be a 32' bus if it were a dognose. I find a lot of security in having a garage for a dual sport bike in the rear of the bus as an emergency shopping vehicle. Think of it this way. If the garage is empty it makes a heck of a big closet.

I do have more space than I need. I like the fact that I could put a piano in the back of my bus while traveling if the occasion arose.

An older five window shorty is 25' in length. This nine window FE is 26' in length. A 25' shorty doesn't really park in a single space any better than a 26' FE. Meanwhile I get the same or better MPG in comparison to a shorty. It just seemed logical to take the extra space at the same operational cost.
I guess it's all just a matter of what you find. After a year of looking, I found a 21 foot short bus in my backyard that I fell in love with. (Crap, might even be shorter than that, think I'm remembering the box truck we used to own). The scooter goes just fine on the back. The beauty of customizing your own bus is everyone gets to have their own just to their taste. I mean, how could you not love a bitty bus like this: