Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #142
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
EC for you I don't think the shorty makes as much sense for it unless it's going to be a continental cruiser. Buzzing around for quick weekend camping trips and such we just need to get your cooling up to snuff then you'll be set. Now if you plan to run RYO all over then the upgrade makes sense and the 643 goes to the shorty.

I drove the freeway last evening for a bit with OD locked out so just 1-4 plus lockup.. just like I had a 643.. and even that the bus ran with more power and cooler temp than it did before .. I think the AT545 makes a lot of heat which ends up in the radiator cooling loop taxing the cooling system. My fan was kicking off on the freeway at 197 degrees..
i did the update on mine because I was already staring a trans replacement in the face with the 545 acting wierd.. and I drive the bus all over the place.. nearly 10k miles since I got it ...
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #143
Bus Geek

Could you imagine if we took EC auction skills , tangos mechanical skills , and my electronics and put them all together? We could have one of those TV shows only we build skoolies lolol
Christopher
Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #144
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Could you imagine if we took EC auction skills , tangos mechanical skills , and my electronics and put them all together? We could have one of those TV shows only we build skoolies lolol
Christopher

Or...the first Skoolie on Mars!

And my "mechanical skills" pale before yours...but I can apply a little fabrication work to this project.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #145
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Christopher
Great idea!!

I will happily host the first episode and volunteer my bus as the "subject".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #146
Bus Geek

Messed around with my speed circuits some more and got things stabilized a lot. I still set a VSS code on startup of the engine sometimes but it clears and goes inactive which I could care less as it allows the cruise to work when it's inactive.

I'm using the Dakota SGI5-E in the mix now. Still all 40 pulses per rev for now. I ran a weak pull-up circuit from a 5 volt sensor supply to make the ECM happy. I may be able to delete some components and simplify. I just wanted to make sure I could get the signals to read consistently and properly and I'm there now.
Christopher
Old 07-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #147
Bus Geek

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Man, I'd love to collaborate on a build with some of you folks.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #148

Cadillac

Do you have any contact info for the company in Florida that you sourced parts from. I'm looking at doing the swap on my Spartan chassis 5.9/AT545 Champion Bus. Although it's not a skoolie and is a pusher vs puller, I would think the swap would be similar possibly.... Easier in my case as my engine is all mechanical (1995 year).

Thanks
Michael
onequiklex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #149
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequiklex View Post
Cadillac

Do you have any contact info for the company in Florida that you sourced parts from. I'm looking at doing the swap on my Spartan chassis 5.9/AT545 Champion Bus. Although it's not a skoolie and is a pusher vs puller, I would think the swap would be similar possibly.... Easier in my case as my engine is all mechanical (1995 year).

Thanks
Michael
I sourced the transmission and all the electronics from 'Custom automatic Conversions', formerly 'Cummins allison conversions' . their original specialty was mating allison 1000s to cummins.. 4BT, 6BT, 12 valve, 24 valve.. but they have done a lot of other stuff now too. the transmission itself was brought through them, they have the transmissions built by SunCoast performance. they program and buils the electronics themselves.. (TCM's are bought and they program them).

CAConversions

I worked with KC and dave to put my package together.

-Christopher
Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #150
Bus Geek

OK here we go again!.

workin out the bugs!.. I added the Dakota digital SGI-5E box.. still at 40 pulses per driveshaft rev, had to add a weak pullup circuit as instead of + voltage at 0 speed like the TCM provides, this provides 0, however its not grounded, so I could float it to 2.5 volts just what the Navistar ECM likes to see.

i'll have to draw a new schematic now to show you guys once I drive the bus some more and make sure this is a good fix. so far its pretty stable!.

I had a small mechanical issues.. I sprung a fluid leak in a blank O-ring-Boss fitting plug.. Im guessing i didnt have it tight enough so I dropped a quart of fluid on the ground.. it appears to be a fitting for some type of auxilliary cooling line maybe?
I have been stopping alot to check things.. so no real harm done.. tightened up and not leaking, though I ordered a different type of plug incase the one I have is wrong.

another boring video of me driving the bus on the freeway.. you can see in the tablet in the lower right, the accelerator pedal and right above it is the engine load factor.. the transmission monitors my pedal but has no way to monitor the engine load factor unless it does so internally.. im not sure how it can with a locked converter.. i have a bit to learn about TCM theory and how it does what it does. mosty everything works fine though id like to see a 4th gear downshift at 65 instead of 62..

this bus ran nice and cool today too!! it was a warm one.. and the bus wasnt even close to running hot..

-Christopher