Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #321
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Cinci is much more bible belt than Columbus. Columbus is progressive.. very diverse city..

-Christopher
Driven thru Cinni but that's about it. Have a buddy in Columbus. I think I could like it. Only spent a day there so... jury is still out.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #322
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International T444E
Dipstick Tube

Chris I was curious how did you come up with a Dipstick?
spgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #323
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgrogers View Post
Chris I was curious how did you come up with a Dipstick?
believe it or not. i went "shopping" for a GMC pickup truck..and really the test-drive was just so I could crawl around and under it.. and look at among things the dipstick.

the one i finally chose (I can get you the part numbers if you need them, the tube and stick are sold separate).

I realized that there were dipsticks which were designed to come up to the front of the hood of said truck, and then there were dipsticks which are designed to stop at the firewall.

if designed to sop at the firewall. then they all follow the shape of the transmission pretty much. so it became easy, as I just needed to find one in which the top had the right angle. I literally looked online and played with a piece of metal I bent to get the idea..

the *BIG* thing is that the stick and tube need to be bought as a matched set.. the overall length doesnt matter, what does matter is that the amount of dipstick protruding from the transmission end is correct.

I was told by CAC that a "full" transmission is one that when running hot the fluid level is at the top of the pan. right near the flange. so when choosing a dipstick / tube pair. you put the stick in the tube (not yet installed) and check it. you can assume that the flange on the tube is going to be about 1/8 - 3/16 above the pan level. below the flange on the tube is the part which inserts into the seal. and goes below level. so I put a piece of tape on the stick at the bottom of the tube.. when I pulled the stick out and measured. it appeared my full-hot mark was going to be just about perfect.

a little variation doesnt matter (1/8" or so). but you want to make sure its not a huge variation.. as you dont want to run the transmission really low or grossly over-full.

since you are measuring fluid level from the top of the trans down, the pan type doesnt affect the dipstick.. it affects how much fluid you pour in, but full is full on either deep or shallow pan. I went deep pan.. with a deep pan the filter is a bit lower. plus you have several more quarts of fluid that can take up heat when you do a hard pull, or have to run unlocked (ie starting up pulling a trailer or getting out of ice / snow).. plus with a deep pan if you do spring a leak and notice it, you can lose a little more fluid before you start to suck air and damage the trans..

hope this helps.
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #324
Mini-Skoolie

I've been looking at getting a tube and dipstick matched set, but I was thinking just order one from a 2009 or newer Duramax. I seen where some had a small 6" extension at the bottom, but I also thought about doing like you said and just do a little bending to make it fit. Defeo told me the same thing on the fluid level, he said about a 1/2 from the top of the hole.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #325
Bus Geek

sprogers:

on the subject of transmission integration... I found a 3 pin connector under the hood on mine that is a J1939 transmission builder connector.. you probably have the same on yours.. I connected a J1939 scanner up to it and there is data coming from it , i didnt decode any of it yet. but that will be next to see what PGNs / SPNs are actually sent. if it has the needed data you may be able to take a J1939 TCM (both of my TCMs are J1939) and go directly from there into your TCM for throttle inoput and not need a special box to do it. I need to do more research on it to make sure its actually enabled correctly on mine. or maybe I'll just wing it and hook up the wires and see what happens..
-Christopher
Old 08-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #326
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
...on that note...which wire is it that operates the Auto Destruct?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #327
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Tango - "I think its the white one ... can you tell me where the white one goes?"..

Click image for larger version

Name:	liberty-mdf-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	15523

-Christopher
Old 08-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #328
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Many more wires but reminds me of the mini electric meter one landlord gave me and said "it's just a couple of wires and take five minutes".

One issue...all five of the wires are the same (black)

Another...the instructions are in Chinese only

And...turns out it is for a 260v system. No such thing in the US.

It is still in the box...on a shelf.

But, back to your problem...I'm guessing the white wire goes to the waffle maker.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #329
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Tango - "I think its the white one ... can you tell me where the white one goes?"..

Attachment 15523

-Christopher
Ha! That looks just like my boat except instead of white wire its all green wire.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #330
Bus Crazy

Quote:
But, back to your problem...I'm guessing the white wire goes to the waffle maker.
Silly! The white wire is grounded. It's the black or green ones you gotta look out for.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #331
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
sprogers:

on the subject of transmission integration... I found a 3 pin connector under the hood on mine that is a J1939 transmission builder connector.. you probably have the same on yours.. I connected a J1939 scanner up to it and there is data coming from it , i didnt decode any of it yet. but that will be next to see what PGNs / SPNs are actually sent. if it has the needed data you may be able to take a J1939 TCM (both of my TCMs are J1939) and go directly from there into your TCM for throttle inoput and not need a special box to do it. I need to do more research on it to make sure its actually enabled correctly on mine. or maybe I'll just wing it and hook up the wires and see what happens..
-Christopher
Sorry for the late reply, Yes I do have J1939 as well. Jason just finished building my harness and he added the wires to connect directly to it.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #332
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
According to the Galactic Energy Directive, auto destruct wires must always be light blue with a red stripe.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #333
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgrogers View Post
Sorry for the late reply, Yes I do have J1939 as well. Jason just finished building my harness and he added the wires to connect directly to it.
are you talking abiout the dash connector or you also found the 3 pin under-hood connector? you dont want to connect your transmission to the Dash connector, the 3 pin connector under the hood (3 pin metripak. yellow-black-green) is the transmission integration connector.

you do have a newer bus than mine, but on mine my dash conector is J1708 only and not J1939.
-Christopher
Old 08-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #334
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
are you talking abiout the dash connector or you also found the 3 pin under-hood connector? you dont want to connect your transmission to the Dash connector, the 3 pin connector under the hood (3 pin metripak. yellow-black-green) is the transmission integration connector.

you do have a newer bus than mine, but on mine my dash conector is J1708 only and not J1939.
-Christopher
Yes my J1939 is under the hood and has a break out from the harness about a foot from the computer (Black,Green,Yellow). I didn't know there was different one under the dash.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #335
Mini-Skoolie

Neutral Safety Switch

I was wondering how you wired your Neutral safety and back up lights? When Jason built my harness he wired it from the internal transmission harness from the internal neutral safety switch. were you able to connect directly to the original backup and neutral safety switch wires which I believe are both going to relays on the bus fuse panel. I know you used a external Neutral safety switch, that should still be the same basic set up as my internal switch.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #336
Bus Geek

super! sounds like you have the connector!. . its a metripak and not a weather-pak like alot of them are.. technically you should be able to connect a scan tool to it and read the data stream.. at a minimum id expect to see PGN 16443 / 16444 / 16445(if i remember right).. those are engine load and throttle based.

yeah I used the external switch, i was a bit annoyed when i read there was an internal one yet they told me to use the external one instead.. seems like extra equipment i didnt need.

I wired it directly into the existing wires for the circuits. the neutral safety is 2 single-bay weatherpak connectors.. just a standard contact switch. in fact one is male one is female and so it was designed to just plug together if you had a malfunction and needed to start your bus or had a manual transmission, (they used another circuit for clutch)..

the reverse lights were same way.. a 2 wire switch so no worries of ground or + fed switch.. my external switch gave me 2 wires on each circuit so it mayched perfectly. that one was a 2-bay weatherpak connector so I just added the same connector on my switch. adjusted it and done.

I believe that the Neutral safety circuit feeds into the ECM I set a couple codes when my switch was adjusted off a bit it caused a slightly faulty connction (quick make / break) and the ECM let me know about it.. thus its likely important you have 2 wires from your transmission harness as opposed to just one that grounds.. or the ECM may complain (ie like it did on my VSS till i solved it with my circuit and the dakota box)..

there are a ton of circuits going into the ECM that I really question as to why they need to be there, nevertheless i didnt design i just have to work with it
-Christopher
Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #337
Mini-Skoolie

Were you looking for the J1939 under the dash, or did you just find it by accident? Jason added test plug to J1939 to my new harness when he built it so now I will still have a spare connector. I like that he did that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RQ...5GWX9R7TwmCUFg

As far as the neutral safety goes, I have 2 wires coming from my new harness one for Neutral switch and one for backup. The old wiring system has 2 wires, so how would I add these wires into the old system, I guess they feedback to the ECM and does it search for ground or a certain Ohms value? I’m not sure how that works because I don’t have any schematics. Jason said to wire them to some relays, but I still think I will have the issue with it setting codes like you had.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #338
Bus Geek

sprogers,

that connector he made for you looks like a Weather-Pak, on my bus its actually a MetriPak.. or is that what he made for you?

I still have yet to connect mine to the TCM CAN and see what happens.. I been getting my transmission dialed in nicely..

to that effect, I did some more dialing in.. I made a video so you guys can all see a little bit about what it is.. and how it works.. I made a change to the TCC lockup clutch. ..as i was having a small issue in 4th gear with it unlocking under lower speed heavy throttle.. which i thought would be good but was really detrimental.. so the video shows how I fixed it..

also you can see I moved my tablets to the dashboard center now.. I like them down lower.. it felt too busy and distracting with stuff up high..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	15640

-Christopher
Old 09-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #339
Mini-Skoolie

Nice video!! Man that thing shifts so nice compared to mine. I like the EFI Live, its nice to see it in action. I ordered a EFILive Autocal, Blank this week, Jason will be Tuning mine in the beginning and then after seeing your video I might try it later on. I finally got my harness and wiring all figured out on mine, its installed waiting to install my new Allison 1000. Im kind of waiting on hurricane Irma to blow over just in case I need to evacuate with the family. Then probably next week I can put it in. I did run into a issue with my air brake mounting bracket, I will have to either fabricate one, which i really don't want to spend the time and effort to do it, or see if can find one in junk yard. Here is a picture of what I need, this is a picture of a Allison 2000, which is basically the same housing, so tomorrow I will start shopping around for one. My shift cable is going the be too short as well, I thought about leaving off the air brake completely, and just use the internal Park Mechanism, still thinking about that one.
Attached Thumbnails
2004-Allison-2000-Transmission-Assys-bxrYwsEpI1wN_f (1).jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #340
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I want a tablet display for my dash
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote