Old 08-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #321
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Cinci is much more bible belt than Columbus. Columbus is progressive.. very diverse city..

-Christopher
Driven thru Cinni but that's about it. Have a buddy in Columbus. I think I could like it. Only spent a day there so... jury is still out.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #322
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International T444E
Dipstick Tube

Chris I was curious how did you come up with a Dipstick?
spgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #323
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgrogers View Post
Chris I was curious how did you come up with a Dipstick?
believe it or not. i went "shopping" for a GMC pickup truck..and really the test-drive was just so I could crawl around and under it.. and look at among things the dipstick.

the one i finally chose (I can get you the part numbers if you need them, the tube and stick are sold separate).

I realized that there were dipsticks which were designed to come up to the front of the hood of said truck, and then there were dipsticks which are designed to stop at the firewall.

if designed to sop at the firewall. then they all follow the shape of the transmission pretty much. so it became easy, as I just needed to find one in which the top had the right angle. I literally looked online and played with a piece of metal I bent to get the idea..

the *BIG* thing is that the stick and tube need to be bought as a matched set.. the overall length doesnt matter, what does matter is that the amount of dipstick protruding from the transmission end is correct.

I was told by CAC that a "full" transmission is one that when running hot the fluid level is at the top of the pan. right near the flange. so when choosing a dipstick / tube pair. you put the stick in the tube (not yet installed) and check it. you can assume that the flange on the tube is going to be about 1/8 - 3/16 above the pan level. below the flange on the tube is the part which inserts into the seal. and goes below level. so I put a piece of tape on the stick at the bottom of the tube.. when I pulled the stick out and measured. it appeared my full-hot mark was going to be just about perfect.

a little variation doesnt matter (1/8" or so). but you want to make sure its not a huge variation.. as you dont want to run the transmission really low or grossly over-full.

since you are measuring fluid level from the top of the trans down, the pan type doesnt affect the dipstick.. it affects how much fluid you pour in, but full is full on either deep or shallow pan. I went deep pan.. with a deep pan the filter is a bit lower. plus you have several more quarts of fluid that can take up heat when you do a hard pull, or have to run unlocked (ie starting up pulling a trailer or getting out of ice / snow).. plus with a deep pan if you do spring a leak and notice it, you can lose a little more fluid before you start to suck air and damage the trans..

hope this helps.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #324
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International T444E
I've been looking at getting a tube and dipstick matched set, but I was thinking just order one from a 2009 or newer Duramax. I seen where some had a small 6" extension at the bottom, but I also thought about doing like you said and just do a little bending to make it fit. Defeo told me the same thing on the fluid level, he said about a 1/2 from the top of the hole.
spgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #325
Bus Geek

sprogers:

on the subject of transmission integration... I found a 3 pin connector under the hood on mine that is a J1939 transmission builder connector.. you probably have the same on yours.. I connected a J1939 scanner up to it and there is data coming from it , i didnt decode any of it yet. but that will be next to see what PGNs / SPNs are actually sent. if it has the needed data you may be able to take a J1939 TCM (both of my TCMs are J1939) and go directly from there into your TCM for throttle inoput and not need a special box to do it. I need to do more research on it to make sure its actually enabled correctly on mine. or maybe I'll just wing it and hook up the wires and see what happens..
-Christopher
Old 08-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #326
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
...on that note...which wire is it that operates the Auto Destruct?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #327
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
...on that note...which wire is it that operates the Auto Destruct?

Tango - "I think its the white one ... can you tell me where the white one goes?"..

liberty-mdf-1.jpg

-Christopher
Old 08-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #328
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Many more wires but reminds me of the mini electric meter one landlord gave me and said "it's just a couple of wires and take five minutes".

One issue...all five of the wires are the same (black)

Another...the instructions are in Chinese only

And...turns out it is for a 260v system. No such thing in the US.

It is still in the box...on a shelf.

But, back to your problem...I'm guessing the white wire goes to the waffle maker.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #329
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Tango - "I think its the white one ... can you tell me where the white one goes?"..

Attachment 15523

-Christopher
Ha! That looks just like my boat except instead of white wire its all green wire.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #330
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
But, back to your problem...I'm guessing the white wire goes to the waffle maker.
Silly! The white wire is grounded. It's the black or green ones you gotta look out for.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote