Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
unfortunately ive not found a ratchet strap that would lower on the ratchet, its usually release and fly.. I was concerned if I just released it the damn thing taking my fingers off as it fell to the ground..
Really?!!? Even the cheapies I bought at Wally World for the kayak racket out as well as in. Granted those don't have the weight limit for a bus tranny but still.

On a side note, I've got two tie downs from semi trucks now. Found them in the middle of the road. Same road two different times. One is marked as 5500 pounds and has to be 15~20 feet long. That one is just the hook and strap. The other one isn't as big nor is it marked that I saw but it has the hook and the ratchet. I'll use the first as a tow strap if I ever get stuck. Double/triple wrap that sucker and I could pick the bus up.

Quote:
yep i definitely taped .. that and the cutoff wheel seem to be about the best tricks to those hoses.. ive had hotrods full of them over the years.. and they dont fail..
I don't remember if it was jig saw or cut off wheel that we used.

Quote:
Never being an aviation mechanic must be nerve racking.. "crap! wheres my 5/8 wrench.. did I leave it in the engine? did I tighten the fuel line before leaving the wrench in the engine?"
I wasn't Chair Force nor have I worked on planes but as I understand it, every tool box has a cut-out of the tool and a log. You log out every tool and the plane doesn't leave the hanger until all of the tools are checked back in and independently verified. A 12" monkey wrench in a turbo fan is going to end badly.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it could be that I just dont know how to release a ratchet strap via ratchet.. my nice 10k ones came via letting someone borrow my truck and they were in the backseat when I got it back.. my friend was like " we found them in the garage of the new house and have no use for them so here..".. someone said they are expensive to buy new..

interesting on tools in aviation.. but makes total sense..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Back in the "olden days" when I raced formula GP bikes, we safety wired just about everything. And when properly wired with rotational tension on the nut or bolt, they won't back out at all. Life savers.

Gotta ask...what did your park brake cable bracket come off of (yr/make/model)?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Just about all ratchet straps(even the cheap ones) will ratchet loose as well as tight. Most people don't know how to do it though. Heck most people don't know how to use one period and the strap ends up in a huge ball and a complete mess. Here is a video that kind of explains it.

You essentially hold the load with the handle(he doesn't in the video), and release the lock(what he pries with a screwdriver) with your other hand, and then let the handle go back a tooth or two. Then you reengage the lock and reposition the handle back up 3/4 the way open. Don't go all the way open or it will release it uncontrolled. You just keep repeating this process of releasing the strap a tooth or two at a time until the load is off of it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:

Haha yes! Judging by your expression, I think we both share the same reverent fear of the reciprocating saw. Every time I pick that devilish monster up, especially when it's loaded with the long cutting blade, I have a quick conversation with it: "You won't be removing any limbs or appendages today, right? RIGHT?!?!"
Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #66
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Back in the "olden days" when I raced formula GP bikes, we safety wired just about everything. And when properly wired with rotational tension on the nut or bolt, they won't back out at all. Life savers.

Gotta ask...what did your park brake cable bracket come off of (yr/make/model)?
I took the original bracket which was from my 2000 Navistar 3800 with AT545.. it mounted across the top.. I cut the business end of the bracket off.. (which has the anchor for the cable), ground out a divet in the middle, just enough the bracket would rest on the rib of the trans case.. then drilled 2 holes in it and mounted it to the trans case..

there were a couple sets of holes in the original drum brake backing plate.. so using the second set I found it mounted perfectly to the 1000, and with a slight clockwise rotation from the position on the AT545 it made for a nice fit with the park brake bracket geometry..

I originally was trying to buy brackets for various GMC trucks.. (the bigger stuff like the 5500 / 7500) that have the sane tyope park brake.. but was finding lots of part numbers to sift through and the couple I found that i thought would work were Discontinued...

this pic shows the original bracket on the 545.. the 1000 has a fatter tail housing so this bracket wasnt going to straddle it. in some of the pics i found in my navistar service book, there were other things bolted to these sometimes..

-Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Just about all ratchet straps(even the cheap ones) will ratchet loose as well as tight. Most people don't know how to do it though. Heck most people don't know how to use one period and the strap ends up in a huge ball and a complete mess. Here is a video that kind of explains it.

You essentially hold the load with the handle(he doesn't in the video), and release the lock(what he pries with a screwdriver) with your other hand, and then let the handle go back a tooth or two. Then you reengage the lock and reposition the handle back up 3/4 the way open. Don't go all the way open or it will release it uncontrolled. You just keep repeating this process of releasing the strap a tooth or two at a time until the load is off of it.
this is interesting.. because ratchet-down wouldve been a BIG help at times.. ive got to go play and see if I can achieve that.. seems what he does in the video kind of does that.. so he pulls the backup release out holds the load and the main release holds at the next tooth... cool stuff!
-Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #68
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Will you be ready to change mine when you are done with yours? ;)
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Quote:
this is interesting.. because ratchet-down wouldve been a BIG help at times.. ive got to go play and see if I can achieve that.. seems what he does in the video kind of does that.. so he pulls the backup release out holds the load and the main release holds at the next tooth... cool stuff!
-Christopher
Even 800 lbs and a tiny strap you don't want releasing all of a sudden. If you still have the engine hoist (or anything overhead) practice with a spare tire. 40 ~ 50 lbs should be enough that the teeth engage. Only pull the handle part of the way so it rotates freely. Then move it all the way so it disengages the gear, let it "drop" one tooth, rinse and repeat. Easy peasy. Come-Along works the same way. I have a little 1 ton Come-Along. The gearing and all that is bigger and easier to see but I'm at work and can't video it for you right now.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I sometimes have to use that method for letting my come-along out. If it has a fair load on it then it just takes too much force to pop both pawls out of the way so the cogwheel can spin freely. It works well to release the one pawl on the handle so the handle can be repositioned, then engage that pawl and push the handle just a bit to relieve pressure on and release the fixed-position pawl. Let the handle down a bit, let the load rest on the fixed-position pawl, and repeat.

Definitely more fiddly with a ratchet strap because the parts are smaller, but it's doable. For some reason it never would have occurred to me to use a screwdriver to operate the fixed-position pawl. That's a good tip. On my ratchet straps that pawl is just a steel plate so I reach around the outside of the ratchet body and squeeze the plate between thumb and a finger to grip and slide it back.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Will you be ready to change mine when you are done with yours? ;)
OOOOOOoooooh me toooooo!!!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I sometimes have to use that method for letting my come-along out. If it has a fair load on it then it just takes too much force to pop both pawls out of the way so the cogwheel can spin freely. It works well to release the one pawl on the handle so the handle can be repositioned, then engage that pawl and push the handle just a bit to relieve pressure on and release the fixed-position pawl. Let the handle down a bit, let the load rest on the fixed-position pawl, and repeat.

Definitely more fiddly with a ratchet strap because the parts are smaller, but it's doable. For some reason it never would have occurred to me to use a screwdriver to operate the fixed-position pawl. That's a good tip. On my ratchet straps that pawl is just a steel plate so I reach around the outside of the ratchet body and squeeze the plate between thumb and a finger to grip and slide it back.
This makes some sense however I can see an easy way to losing or damaging a finger when a 450 lb transmission is on the business end.. nonetheless I played around with it a bit with a tool box into a bicycle hook in my garage ceiling. Takes some finesse but I easily see how it's done now and it's awesome! As I never knew you could release them this way
Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
OOOOOOoooooh me toooooo!!!!
Ha! I'm up for supervising and coming up with ideas for parts and doing the electronics but alas my little body not got the muscles to move trannies around .. gotta rally the troops and brute and let's swap away!!
Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Ha! I'm up for supervising and coming up with ideas for parts and doing the electronics but alas my little body not got the muscles to move trannies around .. gotta rally the troops and brute and let's swap away!!
Christopher
Hell I can do all the lifting and work, I just need your BRAIN!!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Wonder if you could get your hands on a 1545, those appear to be as direct a swap as possible and gives you lockup
Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #76
Bus Geek

I got the shortened driveshaft back from the shop today.. eager to put it on but each time I went to head over to the bus it rained.. grrr!
Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: 466DT
Very nice job!! I can't wait to see you get it done. The shear size of the bus stuff can get very intimidating. You tackled that like I did my third member. The first time I had mine out, it was very nerve racking. But a good concrete surface, jacks, and rachet straps made it doable. Good Job
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #78
Bus Geek

I mightr be hitting you up for info on the 3rd member.. I noticed my pinion seal is seeping a bit... the bearing still feels nice N tight.. havent figured out if I can take it apart, change the seal and put it back together without complete disassembly or not...

I know on my old hotrod stuff it had a crush sleeve.. once you loosened up the pinion nut you were supposed to put a new sleeve in which required removing the carrier and setting it all up again..

are the busses similar? or is pre-load set differently and the seal just pressed in behind the yoke?
-Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: 466DT
All I did was swap third members. I do know what you are saying, but not sure on these. Hopefully, I will be meeting up with someone who knows this week to help me turn up my fuel pump. I've read all about that online, but want someone who really knows to help me do it. I'll try and ask him about the pinion seal too.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #80
Bus Geek

Quote:
This makes some sense however I can see an easy way to losing or damaging a finger when a 450 lb transmission is on the business end.. nonetheless I played around with it a bit with a tool box into a bicycle hook in my garage ceiling. Takes some finesse but I easily see how it's done now and it's awesome! As I never knew you could release them this way
Christopher
Not to pick on you but how did you get this old and do hot rods (mechanical stuffs) and not already know this? Glad to be of service tho.

The more weight and tension on the gears the better. Harder to overcome to get the gear "free" but also less likely to have a "run away" as well. Your 450 lb tranny would have been fine.