Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2017, 12:52 AM   #361
Bus Nut

Christopher does any of your systems monitor tires?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #362
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
not yet.. ive been looking at different systems for that.. so many mixed reviews on various TPMS out there.. the good ones require tire dismount to install.., people have mixed reviews about the screw-on sensors..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #363
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: short
Hi Christopher
Hope you are not in the path of the storm.
What engine configuration did you use with that software I looked and the 444e was not listed.
syntaxterror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #364
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxterror View Post
Hi Christopher
Hope you are not in the path of the storm.
What engine configuration did you use with that software I looked and the 444e was not listed.

im safely at my house in Ohio.. the apartment in Florida is in a 2014 built IMPACT certified building.. I wont truly know the extent of any damage as my apartment faces south.. and a west coast strike means the storm surge comes AFTER the eye passes.. and so will the south winds.. the area the building in is definitely subject to storm surge at a block and a half from the bay.. so right now st pete is getting hit with rain and wind and some localized flooding.. the brunt comes tonight there .. my apartment still has power and its vital signs are still active.. (at least the servers still respond and the A/C remote controls still work.. I didnt have cameras there). I had a cellular router and a NestCam there but I never bothered to hook them up.

which software? the VMSPC? they created me an engine config file for it.. the one thing im a bit Miffed about is I cant read my HPOP data.. and they claim its not sent over the J1708 link.. however with the rest of my scan tools I can see that PID being sent.. I may get away from VMS at some point and write my own software.. I built a prototype of an ELM325 circuit and it does work.. I just havent had time to do anything with it yet.

EFILive cannot tune the 444E engine.. i use it strictly for tuning the allison TCM. I can get you in contact with a guy who can get you the same TCM i am using for my ally 1000.. (it will run a 2000 also). the fact i got the ECM and TCM to communicate so easy is pretty amazing.. really I simply hooked up the wires and the communications link established!.

-Christopher
Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #365
Bus Geek

I went to Florida to clean out a load of stuff from the apartment in st pete that im dumping... and..

The RedByrd put me along side of the road for the first time yesterday. crusing along after horrid traffic, and the fact I couldnt find a hotel room anywhere between valdosta and knoxville (that wasnt 60 miles out of the way).. so i had just drove all night.. about noon in the middle of nowhere kentucky I started smelling something hot.. my first thought was it was my right front wheel bearing.. (my hub seeps a little but ive been keeping it full).. then I saw my voltage drop to 12.3, Alternator?

hey wait why is my temperature 207 and the fan isnt on.. - Crap!! the belt..! so I hit neutral, shut the bus off, opened the heater valve and turned on the electric water pump.. turned the key back on.. my temp gauge briefly hit 215 but the circulator pump and the heater fans on high cooled the engine down..

come to find out i spun a bearing on an idler pulley near the air-compressor. and it ate the serpentine belt.

got online, there was a Love's truck stop a 2 miles and a half away.. so I put down a few windows, turned every heater fan on high and left the circulator pump on.. started the bus and did the 'Pulse' and 'glide' method.. ran it up to 30, shut it off and let it coast.. all the while the heater pump and fans are on high. circulating some coolant through the cores and the block.. since the engine only ran for a minute at a time there is very little risk of creating air bubbles in the system. or warping anything.. it never gets real hot and the coolant in the system can disperse the heat around the cylinders..

a couple times of this and i was in the Love's lot safely off the nasty 80 MPH freeway with semi's buzzing by.

took off the old pulley , called my navistar contact and got a part number for it..
turns out the Love's had a service center so I hit the counter.

only one truck ahead of me getting a tire, the guys were SUPER cool.. called their navistar contact, part in stock, 45 minutes away.

issue became finding the belt. NO ONE ANYWHERE had the serp belt in stock.. the belt was 2 days away from anywhere... I called my contacts as well..

*hey wait* - I had this sort of thought that I had saved the old belt and stuffed it in my garage in ohio (I was onlty 200 miles away).. I also had the thought that I had the cardboard sleeve in the bus for the new belt that came from NAPA so I could look up the exact paret number..

opened up my supply box in the back of the bus.. and Hot Damn! I had stuff the old serp belt (from when i did the water pump job ) in that box..

Love's dude went after the pulley.. and I hit the Arby's there for some lunch.. fixed some software bugs sitting on the patio listening to truckers complain about their Jobs.. then went and took a nap in the bus.. (the guys let me take and put it in their garage where it would stay cooler)..

after a couple hours the pulley was on, belt was on.. I was back on the road and ran the last 200 miles back to ohio with no issues..

the moral of the story? Carry TOOLS, and keep your old Serp belt when you replace one!!

-Christopher
Old 09-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #366
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the moral of the story? Carry TOOLS, and keep your old Serp belt when you replace one!!

-Christopher
High tech guy like you? I'm disappointed. Where's the parts list saved in a text file on the phone. The laptop version of the same file has the AC Delco, etc cross references along with the generic belt dimensions. The alt belt is just a V belt that's 36" long (fill in the blanks), the serp is a 5 rib that's 72" long that also used on the Trane air compressor model # xyz so you can pick it up at Granger even if all the auto part stores are out of stock.

As for keeping old hoses, belts, plugs, and distributor caps... you went to the same old skool of hard knocks as I did.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #367
Bus Nut

Christopher -
Good point - I ordered an extra serpentine belt - and seals for the compressor - salvaged some hoses - and keep everything in a box in the bus.

Thank you for showing us why!

Let me know when you are moving things out - I am close to St. Pete - and will gladly help.

- Roger
Old 09-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #368
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
We had the same thing happen on a Sunday afternoon while coming home from camping. One of the belt idler pulleys blew up and bounced down the road behind us. Fortunately the belt survived intact and we were able to get a new idler wheel and fix it in a gas station parking lot. I carry one of those idlers and a spare belt, plus whatever random small parts I happen to have laying around.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #369
Bus Geek

I have 2 more idlers that are on the water pump bracket so im thinking I should order one of those spare and toss it in the bus.. great idea..

are the seals on the Bendix compressor hard to replace? my *NEW!* compressor sometimes tries to seap oil out its front shaft seal.. I havent looked at it hard enough yet to see if its just a snap ring holding the bearing and seal in? I need to call and see if that compressor is under warranty.. if it is Ill just change it out.

I will say though that my and a friend's experience at Love's truck service garages has been pretty friendly!
-Christopher
Old 09-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #370
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
Christopher -
Good point - I ordered an extra serpentine belt - and seals for the compressor - salvaged some hoses - and keep everything in a box in the bus.

Thank you for showing us why!

Let me know when you are moving things out - I am close to St. Pete - and will gladly help.

- Roger
hey that would be AWESOME! it looks like saturday the 30th is the day I need to move the furniture stuff out. theres really not too much.. my bed is already gone and is a lot of other stuff.. its mainly bulky not too heavy stuff and we have an elevator. 2 IKEA "credenza" type things.. one is a low TV stand, and other is a short glass door cabinet., and then 2 chairs and 2 ottomans.

so my thought is ill be at EC's party friday night and stay in orlando (my red bus isnt set up to sleep in) then drive down saturday morning and load the small stuff i still have that fits inside the seats.. 2 long pieces go in the aisles and then the chairs and ottomans (low-modern IKEA stuff) and sit on top across the seats..

then i go back up to EC;s party for saturday evening, and stay in orlando.. drive out for ohio on sunday morning.

any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

I'll also have my computer programmer at the party so anyone who has a 444E / DT-466E and wants their computer read and any changeable parameter altered we can do that

-Christopher
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #371
Bus Nut

That's a great plan! I will help load Saturday!

Quote:

so my thought is ill be at EC's party friday night and stay in orlando (my red bus isnt set up to sleep in) then drive down saturday morning and load the small stuff i still have that fits inside the seats.. 2 long pieces go in the aisles and then the chairs and ottomans (low-modern IKEA stuff) and sit on top across the seats..

then i go back up to EC;s party for saturday evening, and stay in orlando.. drive out for ohio on sunday morning.

any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

I'll also have my computer programmer at the party so anyone who has a 444E / DT-466E and wants their computer read and any changeable parameter altered we can do that

-Christopher
Old 09-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #372
Bus Geek

Quote:
so my thought is ill be at EC's party friday night and stay in orlando

Good deal. We (the gf and I) are getting in to MCO at midnight. Dinner with a JAX buddy and then a hotel. Don't remember what I booked. Need to check my email. So, if we don't see you Fri night, see you Sat.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #373
Bus Geek

im staying at an embassy in orlando - its one of my customers, they are cool and park busses so even though its a haul it works good. plus its on the south side on International drive - on the way to st pete.

my coworkers say things in orlando area have gotten pretty back to normal after Irma, the airport will be busy as people do continue to camp out and return to florida...

WTF am i thinking by moving OUT of florida in damn near october?? I should be staying put..
-Christopher
Old 09-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #374
Bus Geek

Looks like I sent myself some hotel websites but I'm not finding a reservation. I got busy with my Alaska travel plans and I was still undecided on where to stay.

As for moving to OH from FL in Oct, I'd file that one under "poor life choices".
Old 09-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #375
Bus Nut

Another note on some of the navistars you can pull your own codes using the blinker switch and ck engine light

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #376
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
Another note on some of the navistars you can pull your own codes using the blinker switch and ck engine light

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
on this navistar there is a diagnostic button right below the J1708 datalink connector.. and you press that with Key on engine off and it uses the WARN ENGINE and OIL / WATER alarm lights on the dash to flash you the fault codes.. Navistar calls them 'Flash codes' for the DLC engines..

im wondering if the old 3 Box 444E's were done using the blinker switch? (pre 97 HEUI).

-Christopher
Old 10-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #377
Bus Geek

So today I went back to shredding the data coming out of the various data links.. trying to figure out what is different in my J1939 link between engine / trans with cruise on or cruise off, I suspect that a different shift pattern is called for.. one I may not have access to.. thus i dont get downshifts like I expect..

I started with a device called an HDV100A3 by B&B electronics.. it can talk J1708 and J1939. since J1708 is easily deciphered I started with that interface and can read my MID's and PID's easily from it. these devices are $100 a piece insetad of $400 plus like the VMSpc,

Heavy Duty Vehicle Converters (HDV) & Cables - B&B Electronics

now theres no software.. but I plan to write some software so you guys can use these for a digital dash display similar to mine.. my software will be GPL open source...

the data i captured on J1708 shows me that even though my expensive VMSpc and its designer state that PID 164 (HPOP) isnt sent over by navistar that it is..their POS software just cant read it.. Grrr!!.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 4.01.11 PM.png
Views:	12
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	16359

the text notes are mine.. the data from the truck is in HEX..

-Christopher
Old 10-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #378
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
What resource do you use to find the meaning of the IDs? Buy a copy of J1587 from SAE, or watch the data stream while operating the engine and figure out what's what?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #379
Bus Geek

ive found the PID's in various places.. theres a document which someone wrote about the detroit diesel DDEC IV on a wanderlodge forum which has a lot of them in it and how to calculate the human readable values.. i also found a few in my VMSpc device itself then looked them up via google search..

http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com/data...22%20J1939.pdf

the right way would be to pony up and buy the spec from SAE..

ive found some of the J1939 PGN / SPN stuff the same way.
-Christopher
Old 10-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #380
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
ive found the PID's in various places.. theres a document which someone wrote about the detroit diesel DDEC IV on a wanderlodge forum which has a lot of them in it and how to calculate the human readable values.. i also found a few in my VMSpc device itself then looked them up via google search..

http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com/data...22%20J1939.pdf

the right way would be to pony up and buy the spec from SAE..

ive found some of the J1939 PGN / SPN stuff the same way.
-Christopher

Thanks for the pdf. I can get one of those interfaces/cable you suggested and be willing to help anyway I can.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote