Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #401
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this sounds like fun!!! so the LCD panel itself in the TV is actually flexible? and all I really need is a backlight and a protective lense? so those fancy curved monitors and TV's arre really nothing special??
-chritopher
I'm mistaken it was an old lcd display that was used as widow decoration. But there are flexible led displays that can be bought.
Sorry for the confusion
Gordon

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #402
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
I'm mistaken it was an old lcd display that was used as widow decoration. But there are flexible led displays that can be bought.
Sorry for the confusion
Gordon

Originally I was thinking the TFT LCD display was used in TV that had the flexible screen. I was wrong. It is actually an OLED screen that is used. The OLED is made over 72" diagonal. It is used in cell phones, tablets, laptops and computer / TV displays.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

Sorry for the high jack BTW
Gordon

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #403
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
winter in ophio SUCKS!!!.. but alas after driving in the last rain storm where damned everything got wet under the hood.. my J1939 link which was makeshift. jacked up a bunch causingf me to have 4 gears and no lockup oin the trans till it would dry out.. so even though yesterday was 28 degrees, it was dry.. so time to wire this thing up right..

first off.. here is my makeshift stuff.. somehow its lasted 6,000 miles LOL...I had just literally poked a Cat-5 wire in to test and then ended up driving the bus all over like that...

Click image for larger version

Name:	old-j1939.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	18952

Name:	old-j1939-trans.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	18951

CAN bus should be twisted pair.. Navistar used the defacto standard yellow/green. so I shall follow suit.. and a black reference ground.. which isnt needed, however I ran it down but didnt connect it up.. I cant tell exactly where it should be via the schematic.. maybe the same ground as my TCM? ill hook it up if I need it at some point..

lets twist up some wires!! I did it with a drill.. pull the wires tight and exactly the same length. then spin the drill..

Name:	new-j1939-pretwist.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	18953

Name:	new-j1939-twisted.jpg
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	18954

DONT let the wires loose from the drill.. let them sit.. taking them loose too quick will result in most of the twists unravelling. I went ahead and put the tubing on. and put the ground alongside. with the wires still pulled taught..

Name:	new-j1939-tubed.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	18955

put on a Metripak connector. (navistar uses both weather-pak and metripak connectors. on their stuff.. routed the wires back down through, plugged it in and done!!!

Name:	new-j1939-done.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	18956

I also changed the oil and poured in a bottle of HotShot secret Oil treatment stiction eliminator.. I still need to buy some of the fuel stuff.. I'll do that on my upcoming roadtrip.. I want to make sure all of the diesel Kleen has been worked out first.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #404
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Much more professional Christopher. You have redeemed yourself in our eyes!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #405
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International T444E
Chris, when I did my 1000 conversion on my T444E, I reused my old speed sensor from my At545 and made this bracket, drilled 16 evenly spaced holes on my park brake drum and now no codes are set and the speedometer is accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171019_124123 (1).jpg   IMG_20171019_142236.jpg   IMG_20171019_142255.jpg   IMG_20171019_124446.jpg  
spgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #406
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Brilliant...simply brilliant!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #407
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgrogers View Post
Chris, when I did my 1000 conversion on my T444E, I reused my old speed sensor from my At545 and made this bracket, drilled 16 evenly spaced holes on my park brake drum and now no codes are set and the speedometer is accurate.

Jason said you did that and its absolutely brilliant!!! the only reason I want to change the ECM is because of the cruise.,., there are PGNs sent from the ECM to the TCM in allison MD mode that will actively operate the transmission to maintain a cruise setpoint.. plus it also increases the rate of acceleration in cruise mode. to handle the lockuo transmissions lower RPM Rise..

I totally dig your speed sensor implementation.. you did nechanically what I did electronically.. goes to show there are many ways to get a job done!
-Christopher
Old 02-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #408
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International T444E
I don't have all of your expertise, so I will just stick with simple.
spgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #409
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:

I also changed the oil and poured in a bottle of HotShot secret Oil treatment stiction eliminator.. I still need to buy some of the fuel stuff.. I'll do that on my upcoming roadtrip.. I want to make sure all of the diesel Kleen has been worked out first.
I'm surprised- I didn't think you believed in vodoo?

Does it work- or is it like a "treat" for your motor?

Remember STP ???

Name:	stp.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	18982
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #410
Bus Crazy

Growing up in Seattle the only supplements we used came from Bardahl.

http://bardahl.com/products/oil-addi...il-supplement\
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:05 AM   #411
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I'm surprised- I didn't think you believed in vodoo?

Does it work- or is it like a "treat" for your motor?

Remember STP ???

Attachment 18982
Using additives in Diesel engines isn't voodoo.
This isn't like stuff from an infomercial, like "prolong".

I've put this stuff into four old used buses and it definitely makes a difference. Sandi's bus was especially happy to have it.

The cetane booster is definitely not voodoo either. You can feel the difference.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #412
Bus Geek

EC I put a whole bottle with fresh oil in my 444E, is that how you did Sandi bus?
I’m assuming I run a full oil change interval or should I change it sooner the first time?
Christopher
Old 02-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #413
Bus Geek

Quote:
EC I put a whole bottle with fresh oil in my 444E, is that how you did Sandi bus?
I’m assuming I run a full oil change interval or should I change it sooner the first time?
Christopher
Hers got a whole bottle, yes.
run it for the whole interval. from their website-
Quote:
Hot Shot’s Secret Stiction Eliminator is made up of 100% additives so it can stay in the oil for the entire oil change.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #414
Bus Geek

as for VooDoo.. I drive at night alot and listen to the 700WLW radio trucker network at night. and actual drivers call in and more than a few have said they like this stuff. so I figured i'd try it. I havent heard anyone say it hurt their engine so figured its OK to use.

biggest issue I have with my 444E is getting the oil filter to not leak a little without tightening it up real tight.. seems the 3/4. after contact doesnt work with this engine...

I have been using Diesel Kleen on both busses for awhile.. I do a 1/2 bottle(16 oz dose) every other tank full of diesel..

-Christopher
Old 02-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #415
Bus Geek

Quote:
as for VooDoo.. I drive at night alot and listen to the 700WLW radio trucker network at night. and actual drivers call in and more than a few have said they like this stuff. so I figured i'd try it. I havent heard anyone say it hurt their engine so figured its OK to use.

biggest issue I have with my 444E is getting the oil filter to not leak a little without tightening it up real tight.. seems the 3/4. after contact doesnt work with this engine...

I have been using Diesel Kleen on both busses for awhile.. I do a 1/2 bottle(16 oz dose) every other tank full of diesel..

-Christopher
Sandi's bus sure sounded a little smoother to me. Any noticeable affects from the stuff yet?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #416
Bus Geek

I havent driven it enough yet, I did the oil change and ran it long enough to reach 180 temp and then had to get to a meeting so i put it away.. then we had a snowstorm.. it will be out later today so i can load it up for a trip south
-Christopher
Old 10-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #417
Bus Geek

Ok wow I got behind on this thread!!.. alas I **FINALLY** got the tools I needed to alter the Transmission setting on my ECM so as to not require that wierd OSS circuit.. no drilling holes in my drum and no special hardware.. I also upped the 'Juice' a little..

-Christopher
Old 10-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #418

New bus geek interest...

OMG
I lurk here now and then. I just watched the video of your ECM tweaks.
I am hooked. I kept trying to justify buying a shorty bus but just could not sell myself on the camping idea along..
But being a lifelong geek with Pi, esp8266, modbus, 4-20ma stuff, and years of hobby programming, I think I just found my next hobby project quest.
You just sold me...
Now the likely long search to find a rust free shorty with the proper electronic infrastructure.
Zoom zoom
DavidVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #419
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVT View Post
OMG
I am hooked. I kept trying to justify buying a shorty bus but just could not sell myself on the camping idea along..
But being a lifelong geek with Pi, esp8266, modbus, 4-20ma stuff, and years of hobby programming, I think I just found my next hobby project quest.
You just sold me...
Now the likely long search to find a rust free shorty with the proper electronic infrastructure.
Zoom zoom

I been playin with vehicle electronics since back in the days of burining EPROMs for TBI and TPI stuff i used to build custom hotrods.. I love this stuff.. the RedByrd is the only bus I have with an electronic engine in it.. my other 2 are mechanical (one gasser and one DTA360).. but a Rest-O-Modder I am.. this one has had several revisions of upgrades from cooling fan, oil pump, lighting, custom mixed A/C refrigerant, to a complete AT545 to allison 1000 swap with J1939 integration.. now im into tweaking and tuning a bit with the ECM a bit deeper.. playing with power-adding which can be a dangerous proposition.. so im going pretty comnservative at first.. (OK says me who has a full set of brand new stage 2 injectors in a bix ready to install)..., and of course the dual tablet digital panels you saw in the vid. (one running EFIlive so i can tune the tranny on the fly).

-Christopher
Old 10-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #420
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVT View Post
OMG
You just sold me...
Zoom zoom

I should also mentrion i dont camp.. (I road trip my bus across the country but it gets parked in hotel parking lots most nights..) i have 3 busses and they all still have most or all of their seats.. I do have one that has a nice electrical system in it and some space that i use as a Mobile CLoud-Voice Development Lab.. testing LTE, realtime voice, and cloud in a mobile environment.. as well as it being a War-room that i can build / run a down system from if I had to..

fellow Linux, Pi, Modbus, Zbasic(enhanced stamp), hobby programmers (and programmer in real adult life for $$).. Love the fact you know about some of the stuff i have been messing with too!! fun!!! parts of my Zoned (home brew) HVAC system use Modbus, custom Micro-controller boards, and the like..

bring it on, get you a bus and join the fun!!
-Christopher