The weather was really nice this weekend so we decided to cancel the trip to the shop and do some more demolition. First to go was the roof mounted air conditioning condenser.
It was another beastly heavy piece of equipment, I'm guessing 100 lbs or so, and there was no way to gently ease it down to the ground. In the end I just chucked it onto the ground. They sure build those things sturdy - after a 9 foot fall I could scarcely find a scratch on the thing.
The emergency escape hatch was next to go. I used a piece of the fiberglass interior trim to cover the hole, sealing it with butyl tape under the patch and some Dicor white caulk around the edges and covering the screws. I'll fill the space beneath the patch with Great Stuff before insulating the ceiling. The holes left from removing the AC unit also got slathered with the Dicor caulk and while I was up there I caulked the top of my leaky wheelchair door frame too.
Once the AC unit was gone I could remove the big decorative interior roof roof panels. True to form they were heavy as hell and a real chore to get out the side door
. I also took the angle grinder to the chair rails on both sides then ground off the wheelchair tie-downs that were bolted to the floor. What a pain THAT was! Next to go was about 30 lbs of wiring. Maybe I can re-use some of it. Finally, I tossed all the junk out the side door and took a shop vac to the inside. Heres the view from the front looking back. Notice the shower pan pretty much where it will be installed:
And from the back looking front:
Here's the stairwell and driver's seat, The driver's seat is in real nice shape. Probably the best part of the bus so far. I'll pull it out this week to clean it up and also get that floor mat out for a good scrubbing. It's seriously grubby.
I also discovered that the roof vent is a Fantastic Vent. Not sure if it works though.
All in all - a very productive weekend.