Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #362
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: The Roach Motel

Yea-I had to do a roadside idler pulley-300 miles from home-on a Sunday. Saved by an Autozone that was still open. Its now part of my inventory of small parts kept as spares onboard.
Others:
Fuel filter-$20-you plug it-you're not moving.-difficulty factor-easy. remove your air filter + you can reach it. a 1/2" rachet fits in the top of the filter (it has a corasponding square hole in it)
Glow plug relay-$30-a known item that goes eventually-No glow plugs equals no start below 50*.-Difficulty-1/2 hour job. bolted on the front of your passenger valve cover. can be done from inside or from under the hood.
CPS (cam position sensor) $20-Your bus is later than mine-so you have the updated one, but they still can go. Problems can be no start-won't accelerate or missing. Its located on the passenger side front of your engine. -Tools needed are a 10mm socket + a screwdriver to pry the old one out (oring fit into the front cover). A two wire plug + one bolt-you can do it without jacking up the bus 20 minutes your 1st time-10 min the next.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #363
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Yea-I had to do a roadside idler pulley-300 miles from home-on a Sunday. Saved by an Autozone that was still open. Its now part of my inventory of small parts kept as spares onboard.
Others:
Fuel filter-$20-you plug it-you're not moving.-difficulty factor-easy. remove your air filter + you can reach it. a 1/2" rachet fits in the top of the filter (it has a corasponding square hole in it)
Glow plug relay-$30-a known item that goes eventually-No glow plugs equals no start below 50*.-Difficulty-1/2 hour job. bolted on the front of your passenger valve cover. can be done from inside or from under the hood.
CPS (cam position sensor) $20-Your bus is later than mine-so you have the updated one, but they still can go. Problems can be no start-won't accelerate or missing. Its located on the passenger side front of your engine. -Tools needed are a 10mm socket + a screwdriver to pry the old one out (oring fit into the front cover). A two wire plug + one bolt-you can do it without jacking up the bus 20 minutes your 1st time-10 min the next.
Sounds like good advise; I'm going to stop by the parts store and pick those up today. I'd read about the cam sensor problems back when I first started researching the Powerstroke engines but forgot about it until now.

When we got home I replaced the remaining idler pulley and the serpentine belt.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #364
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Others:
Sounds like good advise; I'm going to stop by the parts store and pick those up today. I'd read about the cam sensor problems back when I first started researching the Powerstroke engines but forgot about it until now.

When we got home I replaced the remaining idler pulley and the serpentine belt.
Buy your parts online. You will save a ton of $$$.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #365
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20

Hey Roach, I just finished reading your thread and I wanted to personally thank you BIG TIME for taking your time and going into so much detail! It's an incredible help especially since my rig is almost identical (cept for mine's a gasser) and you've given me dozens of ideas I want to incorporate into my build, and not to mention all the pitfalls I'll be able to avoid thanks to your having blazed the trail . I don't know if mine will measure up, but your experience will sure help me to get close. You've done a fantastic job, and I'm sure I'll return many times to your thread whenever I'm stuck or in need of inspiration. Kudos Roach and thanks again man!
;?D

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #366
Bus Crazy

Thanx Lightfoot! I got a lot of help and ideas from others on this forum when I was doing my build so I'm pleased to be able to pass on what I learned on the way.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #367
Bus Crazy

We had Roachie out to a real campground this weekend and got a choice spot near the lake. It was cloudy all day then just before sunset the sun peeked through.

My latest addition to keep the slippers from running amok.

Here's Renee with the first of her curtains up.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:33 AM   #368
Site Team

great spot to see the lake!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:06 AM   #369
Almost There

how wide is the door you bought and did it come with the frame,, have you had any probelms with it.
fnelson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #370
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnelson71 View Post
how wide is the door you bought and did it come with the frame,, have you had any probelms with it.
It's a 36" door (frame included) and it *just* fit. The door was about 3" shorter than the opening so I had to build up the first step. It's been 3 years now and it still looks like new.

Look at the "rough opening" requirement for any door you consider, that will tell you the size hole you need.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote