Winter has officially returned to Michigan so progress has been glacial. One day last week was fairly warm so I opened up the handy-dandy hatch in the floor and pulled the fuel pickup out of the tank to give it a good cleaning. Of course I had to make two trips to the auto parts store to get the right special tools to disconnect the fuel lines.
There are two small filters in the pickup and they were full of junk. A quick spray with some carb cleaner had them looking like new.
I had to crawl under the bus to reconnect the fuel gage wiring and while I was down there decided to pull out all the hoses going to the rear heater and unbolt the little diesel powered heater that was back behind the fuel tank. Turns out that the mystery controller was hooked up to that heater.
Once that was done I pulled the driver's seat and took out the rubber floor mat for a good cleaning. Man, that thing was nasty but after three scrubbings and some Armorall it looks almost like new now. The area under the floor mat was wet and a bit rusty so I may have a leaky windshield to fix.
The sun was quickly fading into the west but "when you've got it up, keep it up" so I decided to keep going and try removing some of the adhesive left behind when the side stripes were removed. I tried acetone and diesel which did work, more or less, but gasoline got the prize. I'd slather it on one section and wait a few minutes for the adhesive to soften, then scrape the goo off with my little plastic razor blade. I highly recommend the plastic razor blade (with holder) to anyone removing tape stripes. It's an essential tool. While working on one section (about 18") I'd slop some gas on the next section to soften it up while I scraped off the preceding section and the process went fairly quickly from there.
The fiberglass under the stripes is all shiny and bright but the rest is dull and drab. There are also some holes that need filling and some spots that need patching so I'll be learning the finer points of fiberglass repair when the weather turns in a month or so.
Looks like my project will kep me occupied a bit longer than I thought.