Old 05-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #421
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Couldn't find it at my local HD; called Anderson instead. Of course, I have a slightly different door arrangement on my Thomas. I'd also want to use piano hinge instead of regular hinges.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #422
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Roachie! I read through this thread with our 2001 Ford 450 coming tomorrow. Now I'm both excited...and terrified...from all the fixes

For a new bus owner, which of your regular maintenance items would you suggest to start with?
jhashey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:32 AM   #423
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I'd check for cracked tire sidewalls and have a good look at brake rotors and pads. Check for uneven tire wear that might signal some bad tie rod ends or ball joints.

Assuming yours has the 7.3L diesel, change out the fuel filter and clean the fuel strainers in the fuel tank. Air filters are flat easy to check and replace. The Powerstroke uses engine oil to fire the injectors so fresh oil is a plus. The trans fluid should be a nice red color. When you pull the air filter cowl to change the fuel filter that's a good time to change out the serpentine belt. If you replace the belt check the idler pulleys, they can fail and leave you stranded. Look for coolant leaking out of the water pump housing.

Look for oil or fuel in the engine valley. Both the high pressure oil pump and the turbo pedestal can leak oil and the fuel bowl can leak fuel into the valley. Engine valley leaks will drip down the back of the engine and appear to be a rear seal leak.

You can check the engine for piston ring blowby by removing the oil fill cap and feeling for pressure pulses there. Oil dripping from the exhaust pipe is a symptom of bad turbo seals.

Maybe have the oil and trans fluid lab tested. Blackstone Labs does a good job.

The starter should spin the engine pretty quickly, almost as fast as a car engine. Otherwise, just drive it and look for vibrations (universal joints, axle bearings or tire balance) and exhaust smoke. A little white smoke on startup isn't unheard of but a properly running Powerstroke should make little or no smoke.

That's about all I can think of offhand.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f34/th...sel-10607.html