Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #1

The Skoolie Journey

hey all....new here....i've been researching for a while on getting a short school bus.....4 or 5 window diesel, van style. i'm real excited about the project i'm about to undergo and was stoked to find this forum. i've been looking on here for a while and decided to post what i have so far. i plan on converting it, to live out of while i journey wherever the road takes me. i haven't found the right bus yet, but i know it's out there. anyway, i've been drawing up some floor plans and any advise would be greatly appreciated on anything. note: the measurements r round abouts, give or take a few.
Thanks....T

usafny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet B7T042
Engine: 6.6L Turbo CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 24
Re: The Skoolie Journey

To save a little space you might want to consider a shower/toilet combo like they have in some popups or slide in campers. Was planing to try and put one in my shorty. I have even seen a few that appear to have a built in holding tank but they are a little pricey.

http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_L ... egoryID=85
Old 04-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

yeah, these drawings r really rough and no, nothing is to scale. i don't know where to find a program to help w/ that. i basically looked online at measurements for things i found and estimated. i know i wouldn't have the wood stove up against the wall and i don't plan on storing to much wood. i can find that while out and about if i want. i also would have shelving above the windows and a rack on the roof of the bus. i will rethink what u said and redraw my crappy floor plan.

awesome....thanks for the tip on the shower/toilet combo.

thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafny
awesome....thanks for the tip on the shower/toilet combo.
http://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/dis...ategory_id=171
As someone who is currently dealing with one of the shower/toilet combos...... Every time someone takes a shower, you need to squeegee to floor dry, then lay a floor towel down (because the floor will not be completely dry). Otherwise you get soggy feet. sock, shoes... and don't drop anything on the floor either. We despise ours. But we also are full time with 3 people in here right now. It is one thing that we have decided will NOT be in the skoolie (and all the plumbing fixtures WILL have shut off valves on them... there are none in the original plumbing in this thing!!). The only "UP" side to it... the line to the toilet started leaking (bad valve... it costs as much to repair as it does to replace... got a temp fix). The excess water dribbled into the shower pan drain. If your grey tank backs up... it will back up into the shower pan (yuk but better than the black tank). In freezing temps you will need to fill the shower's"p"trap with RV anti-freeze (pink stuff).

If you do decide to go with the combo pan (I understand about limited space... 22 ft bumper to bumper Class C), make sure you plumb the shower pan to a grey tank. And make sure you have filled all spaces under the shower pan with foam (Great Foam in the spray can works). These things are fragile and a heavy person can crack them if the floor isn't supported very well (Previous owner was very "heavy"... also bent the rear steps to the point they are unusable). Also the shower floor gets very cold in winter conditions. So make sure you have insulated the floors under the pan. 2" insulation still made for a cold floor in TN/NC.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

thanks lorna.....i am a petite girl and don't plan on using the shower on a daily basis, but i will keep what u said in mind. i know i have to research more and talk to others i know about all this as well. this bus is only for me on my travels. i'd like to keep it simple w/ space and usage. i've thought about a portable toilet as well.

all this info is great. thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #6

ok, here is a new floor plan (again, not to scale). i'm sure i'll have to revise again, but i'd like feedback. i also thought about solar for power. also, here is a link where i got the idea for the kitchen.

http://www.freebirdconversions.co.uk/vw ... ances.html
Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

One way to get your scale accurate is to use a pencil and graph paper. I like to use a pencil to draw at a scale where 1'=1" on paper. This works great because the most common graph paper has lines at 1/4" spacing, so each 4 lines is equivalent to 1'. Start by drawing out your floorspace on the paper, then just draw in your interior. If you dont have graph paper, just google graph paper and there are sites with free printable pdf's that you can just print out.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #8

ok, i've removed the floor plans and need to redo this. thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Also read EVERYONE's conversion so you know the price of silly things you wouldn't think about. I never realzied how much caulk or liquid nails I would need for example. Also I would add $150 to your project costs because there are things you just can't think of that pop up, and in the long run if you don't spend that $150 then you've come under your budget. I also drew my floor plans with the graph paper, it works well. Take your time though, I was planning my bus on and off for a few years and then I was bored at work one day and fell in love with a mini-bus, and BOOM, I'm building one now.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #10

ok, here is the new floor plan to scale i would luv to get the 5 window/van style bus, but they seem hard to come by. please keep the feedback and comments coming. being a newbie, all this info is really appreciated.
thanks,
T
Attached Thumbnails
BusFP.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Looks like a decent layout. I like the bed at the back, seems to make the most sense. The fridge under the sink works, but that would limit you to a small fridge, or a high sink! Other than that, I would widen the shower stall a bit, get it to 30-32" if you can and you will be able to find cheaper shower bases as they are a more standard size. Also, you need to take into account space around the toilet, your knees need to go somewhere when you sit down... I like the idea with the graph to keep the scale, great job. You seem very efficient at making the most of a small space.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19

Cute stove, hell of a price tag. Check out youtube for building your own pot-belly woodstove. They are cheap and easy to build if you can weld or know someone who can weld.

I am also converting a shortie. Its 4 windows long. They are small but if you plan to live simply then go for it. Plus they fit into a normal parking space. This is our blog http://shortbusmagic.blogspot.com/ my girlfriend and I plan to travel the US,Canada, and possibly Mexico. I would say a roof rack is a great idea for a short bus. We plan to build ours out of the old seat frames. Also our woodstove will be removable and will be stored on the roof when not in use. You are going to have to get creative with the space since a short bus has very little. Think about foldable furniture, swiveling items, storage under everything. I drew up so many floor plans and will probably still make changes as I go. Once you get your bus and are inside of it planning becomes much easier.

Good luck and keep us posted.
zman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #13

yeah, the to scale thing def helps. the wood stove i found is on the site that gwreddragon posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
ETA: If you swap the bench and the cab (put the bench on the other side of the table), and got a swivel wall mount for your TV, then you could watch TV from bed too
i plan to put the TV and DVD shelf on the shower wall facing the table and bed so i can watch from both spots, but i like the swivel idea.

i hope i don't need a plan B b/c i'd really like to find the 5 window bus, but i am working on it in case. does anyone know if there is a site or place that may have one. i feel like i've looked everywhere for the bus i really want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
I would widen the shower stall a bit, get it to 30-32"
i'd like to, but i put those dimensions in b/c on the sites i looked at there didn't seem to be anything w/ a 40x30 or 32. i guess i could get it custom made?

ah, i can't wait to get my bus
Old 04-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman18
I would say a roof rack is a great idea for a short bus. We plan to build ours out of the old seat frames.
definitely plan to have a roof rack, but great idea w/ building it from the seat frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman18
Once you get your bus and are inside of it planning becomes much easier.
i bet, but i don't want to get the 4 window and regret it just b/c i wanted to start this project, ya know?!

this may be a dumb question, but how will ur wood stove be removable?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
I would widen the shower stall a bit, get it to 30-32"
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafny
i'd like to, but i put those dimensions in b/c on the sites i looked at there didn't seem to be anything w/ a 40x30 or 32. i guess i could get it custom made?

ah, i can't wait to get my bus
30x30 or 32x32 are standard house shower stall sizes. It would be a lot cheaper than an RV shower stall and work just the same. I am planning on using a 30x30 shower base in my bus, with the toilet in the shower to save space.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Advice I got when building-"think submarine!" everything needs to be small-or dual purpose. I got a small flat screen in my bus-the swivel wall mount lets me turn it anywhere i wish.
Some shortbus search places: state agencies-shuttle services around airports-large adult day-care facilities (one near me has at least they might not have one out front with a for sale sign on it--but go inside + ask where they get theirs fixxed-or who has the call to replace them.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote