Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 36
The Vardo Bus

Hi, I'm a new member. I got my bus on Labor Day this year. It's a 1993 Carpenter shorty, 24' long overall. The people I bought it from had*already converted it to a basic nice looking camper; no plumbing or electrical, but a nice couch, dinette with a plastic folding table, curtains, kitchen counter, and four bunk beds in the back.

I've had so much fun redecorating. I made a wood table for the dinette, did some painting and made some bombastic drapes to separate the front room from the back room. I have plans to redo the back and add a small bathroom with a homemade compost toilet.

I was hoping to keep it in the back yard and work on it over the winter, but found out it's against city ordinance to have it parked back there, so now it's at a storage place for the winter. I had so much fun working on the bus that I'm inspired to build a compost toilet and small bathroom in my basement just to see how it works (and we could use another bathroom anyway) and planning to do more bus remodelling in the spring.

Here are some pics. The bottom picture is how it looked when I got it before I started going ape with tapestry and fringe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bus Before.JPG (640.8 KB, 3696 views)
File Type: jpg BusLivingRoom.JPG (1,019.8 KB, 3692 views)
File Type: jpg BusDinette.JPG (622.1 KB, 3691 views)
Kathy WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: My New Bus!

Very stylish. I like the Gypsy look.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hi Kathy...and Welcome to the nuthouse! Love them Shorties and it appears you have a good start. I have to agree with Accordian...Love the Gypsy look! Go for it. Just take your time, search and and read through the many threads here and you will likely find most of the info you need for just about any conversion project. Any pix of the exterior?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Ok - this is where my DIY runs headlong into my WTF

Quote:
made some bombastic drapes to separate the front
What's that?

Great job on the bus - the only thing lacking seems to be a crystal ball on the table, looks nice.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

I love your redecorating. Looks much more cozy and inviting in there as opposed to the original look of it. Too bad you can't have it on site at your house - that certainly makes it easier to work on it, plus it acts as a sort of cottage/out-building. I'd like to have a sort of gypsy theme in my interior too, but I just seem to be too damned practical. Maybe after the bus is "finished" and I'm looking for fun stuff to do, I'll get my gypsy on.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for your nice comments. This site has been really helpful; I found this site last summer and you guys were a big influence in my decision to get a bus instead of a regular RV.

I started jonesin' for an RV last spring and looking at them online, especially on Craigslist. I thought that a Class C would work best for our family (me, my husband and 12yo son) so I went to see a few of those. One was cramped and smelled like other people's pajamas, one had a nice layout but needed a ton of work including engine, electrical systems, etc. and one was a Winnebago that was in good shape but everything was all beige and matchy-matchy and I just didn't like it. We also saw a '93 Dodge Banner Class A which was the one I liked best, even though it was in kind of rough shape. When I looked at it, I kept thinking that if I reupholstered this, and moved that over there, and took out that and replaced this, it would be cool. So I analyzed my motives and realized that I really wanted something that I could get creative with, not some ready-made boring box. I was also less than thrilled with the idea of somebody else's used RV toilet and holding tanks (eww), complicated electrical systems, winterizing and all that.

Then I found this skoolie.net site, and this gypsy vardo site http://gypsywaggons.co.uk/. You guys have made some AWESOME busses! It seems like skoolie people are the most creative, resourceful types.

My bus doesn't have a generator or electrical system set up, other than the usual school bus stuff, and doesn't have plumbing. When I had it parked in the back yard this fall, I just ran an electrical cord from the garage through the driver's side window and had a power strip inside, and that's what we'll probably do if we go to a campground with hook-ups. I used a space heater, electric burner and lamp, and of course a hot glue gun for all the fringe and ribbon. I got a good lantern and a Sterno stove for when we don't have electricity. A cooler will fit inside the end table so we don't need a fridge.

There's nothing special about the outside of my bus; it's painted silver with red trim. Maybe someday I'll do something different with the outside but I haven't thought of anything yet. These are my plans for the back bedroom of the bus. Right now there are four built in bunk beds. Since there are only three of us, I took out one of the upper mattresses and put three clothes hampers on their sides up there to use for storage. What I'd like to do it take out the bunks and put narrower beds in an L-shape, and somebody can sleep on the couch in the living room. I figured 24Ē is wide enough for a single bed, since my husband or I can easily sleep on a couch that's narrower than that. I'm going to take apart the existing foam mattresses and cut them down to size, then upholster them with some cool red paisley fabric from a couple bedspreads I got for $9.99 at 5 a.m. on Black Friday. Then I'm going to make a teeny half bathroom in one corner. This is the plan for the back bedroom and bathroom area:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BusBackLayout.jpg (180.4 KB, 3587 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

One more thing...our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore is relocating to a building right around the corner from my house. I love rummaging around in that store, and I'm sure I'll be able to find all kinds of materials and parts and doohickies for the bus over there. I have posh taste in bus decor, but I'm also a tightwad!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Welcome! Definitely a great look for the interior.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Nice.. but you need more gingerbread!
Gyspy Waggons All about Vardos
Vardo Pics

A little Victorian gingerbread, a little gold leaf (use the real stuff not the composite... trust me!) and lots of paint! I do love a Victorian!
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

...and a few more Vardos with interiors...

http://www.google.com/search?q=gypsy...w=1219&bih=731
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote