Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #1

The wren Roaster

Well Due to a stupid little house wren building a nest on top of the Turbo and almost burning the bus down on the way home with it, I decided to call it the wren roaster, as i am sure if their where any eggs in that nest they got roasted along with the outer wiring harness cover.

so anyway here are some pics of my 1998 E-350 Startrans shuttle bus we are going to convert to an RV.

Hoverlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
How fun, you'll be able to park almost anywhere!

Glad you are all safe.

When bad stuff happens i half wonder if it was actually a blessing saving me from something worse.

Looking forward to following your build!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
How fun, you'll be able to park almost anywhere!

Glad you are all safe.

When bad stuff happens i half wonder if it was actually a blessing saving me from something worse.

Looking forward to following your build!
yeah we are building it so we can tow our home built 16' Hover craft with us on adventures. My lady and I love going to the state parks here in florida and going to the keys, but last trip we made most of the motels where a night mare. we use to have a 33' winnie, but it was just to big and hard to drive. with the Bus we should be able to park in small places and tow the Hovercraft with ease.

I scored an RV power converter and battery charger on craigslist this morning, so thats the start of the Conversion. we had bought a gen. transfer switch for the house here, but it was not enough amps, so now it will go in the camper and be used with my small genset.

now that I got a photobucket account set up maybe I can start getting more photos posted. but man thats a P.I.T.A. to have to use photobucket.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats a nice lookin bus!! ive had good experiences with hotel in key west but not along the way there.. had some Roach Ranches for sure!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats a nice lookin bus!! ive had good experiences with hotel in key west but not along the way there.. had some Roach Ranches for sure!!
-Christopher
our main thing will be, we want to take the Hovercraft along and stay at some of the parks and RV resorts on the water. wold be so cool to set up camp and go out on the Hovercraft from the same place. a lot of hotels don't have parking for trailers. also the last time we went, we spent the night in key largo, that was a night mare. was a latino trailer park right next door, did not get a bit of sleep. people fighting and cops there several times in one night. in key west stayed at the sheriton and had a family with kids in the room above us. sounded like a pack of elephants all the way till 3:00 a.m.

After that my lady and I said no thanks, time to get another RV.

that said we got a really good deal on this bus. but it does have high miles. it was a church day care bus, so very well maintained. but has over 250,000 on it. got it for $3,500 and the guy even threw in 4 new tires. as with all buses, it has a few issues to work out. but I am good at working on stuff, so just a matter of time. I will post progress pics as i go along.

todays task is fix the line to the lift arm on the wheel chair lift, it poped off. was just a cheap plastic line that was help on with a zip tie. line is hard and stiff from age, so going to have to change that around some how. as it is, can't rise the lift to close the doors.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Lets see a picture of the hovercraft.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Lets see a picture of the hovercraft.
I still have to make and install the skirt and install the safety wire netting on the side of the prop cage and install the prop. but this is what it looks like so far on the trailer. look up sevtec surveyor on youtube to see what they look like complete and running.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Very cool. I never knew hovercraft had gotten that popular. Or cool.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
Bus Geek

photo not found errors
Old 08-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #11

Well I gave it a good shot, spent all day trying to fix the wheelchair lift, it just would not do right, finely got to where it would not even go back into the bus.
So by 9:30 p.m. I had most of the lift removed in sections so I could close the doors. will finish removing it tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #12

Well I spent most of yesterday removing the seats, this job went pretty easily in my Bus. thankfully my seats are a attached in rails in the floor with threaded blocks in them. so some WD-40 and a few wrenchs and an old electric impact gun made for a pretty easy job. I am going to re purpose the seat frames to make mounts for a table and some counters and maybe a wall support. will post some pics soon.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I love old seat frames... ive use a couple for various things.. I removed the cushions asnd cut the back off of one of mine to use it as a cage for my batteries.. another is used as a cage for small items that move around when I travel.
-Christopher
Old 08-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
One small spelling suggestion...

The Wren Wroaster
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
One small spelling suggestion...

The Wren Wroaster
Well I am not great at spelling..lol but i do know that fire the birds nest started Roasted the heck out of what ever was in there and a few wires.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #16

Well we got the Title done today, it is now registered in the state of Florida as a Motor home.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #17

Just an update, I have the bus stripped out, new floor installed, made a queen size bed frame in the back using the meat from the seat frames, have part of my counter top framed, installed an wired a generator transfer switch, installed the power converter/charger. bought and tested out a harbor freight 45 watt solar set up with a 2000 watt/4000 peak inverter. ( note so far that inverter is crap. won't run the portable a/c unit. could be the batterys, so will do more testing. ) will add some more pics soon.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds like progress to me! Now all we need are some pix!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #19

new flooring down, will put a floor covering over it as i get things sorted out.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #20

here are some pics of the bed frame and of the power station.