Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
Question thinking about coolant

I'm going over my auction bus, researching each system. Today is coolant day.
This article popped up on my radar, I have no connection with it,
https://www.constructionequipment.co...engine-coolant

It seems to give formal specs, like atsm-6210; which I had heard of and D-5752 which I had not heard of, and not push any specific corp. product but instead tells you what to look for.

executive summary; seems to be that "organic-acid-technology" [OAT] coolant are the way to go. Go through the pain of a full flush once and then stick with OAT. You just have to add an "extender" at 300,000 miles If I get there I'll be real happy to do that

I also had a dream last night about hoses, I have been thinking about prophylactically changing the coolant hoses so one doesn't bust at a really bad time, and then carry these old hoses as spare hoses just in case. Shouldn't take up much room in the "basement". I'm planning on boon-docking or overlanding a lot so self-reluctance is important to me. When I'm solo, which right now is the only option, I want to be able to get back to my home-base.

But then I ask myself, how often do hoses bust. Its only happened once in my life and that was back in college when we were buying cars on their way to the junk yard and driving them until they had to be towed to the junkyard.

any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
As for coolants...

One issue to be aware of seems to be the need for a special type for any wet sleeve engine. Something about cavitation creating pinholes in the cylinders. Some info here...

Coolant Formulation Relevant to Coolant System Cavitation in Wet Sleeve Cylinder Walls

and here...

https://www.constructionequipment.co...sleeve-engines

And maybe some other folks can chime in as well.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
even non wet sleeve.. the V-8 navistar diesels require the Coolant additives as well unless using a compatible ELC coolant..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks for the links. Good reading.

I am still confused as to what coolant to top off my Cummins 8.3.

The existing coolant is green. Do I need "fully formulated " or "organic acid" sort.

My limited understanding is that mixing different types is a bad idea.

Anyone here know how I can figure out what coolant I need?

Thanks.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
And for anyone with a Cummins 4 or 6BT... this is what I found over on 4btswaps.com...

"The 4bt does not have liners, and this is what is suggested for Dodge with Cummins...The Zerex G 05....they do not want the red Dexcool for any reason..."

Also an extended explanation of the cavitation issues with any wet sleeve engines here...

https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...mation-202709/
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

from jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

My limited understanding is that mixing different types is a bad idea.

Anyone here know how I can figure out what coolant I need?

Thanks.

On one jug of oat type coolant I saw an admonishment not to allow contamination of more than 25%, so that implies that there is some tolerance.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

@tango thanks for the link, more info to analyze is always good. The truth is out there.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
DexCool and also the ford gold appear to be 2 different birds when it comes to coolant.. there asre synthetics out that are safe for all engines. and dont require additives.. from what i understand anything listed as polyOrganic is safe for all diesel engines.. but some of the OAT are not..

Green with additives appears safe for most of the older engines.. HOWEVER.. too much additive creates "fallout" into sensitive items such as engine oil coolers.. thus why its not recommended on newer engines that have small passage EGR coolers and oil coolers,. they are easily plugged up by someone putting too much additive in green coolant..

its imperative it is kept normal and with green you need to do coolant changes more often.. Most often what is done is a system is flushed, fresh coolant installed.. additive brought to normal levels. and use of a coolant filter that slow releases additive over a period of time helps to keep your levels normal even with slight losses of coolant over time.. but you still need to test often.. and when the coolant gets aged but you havent added much, you dont just start pouring additive in .. green coolant begins to ail.. change it on time..

I also again mentiion coolant maintenance is not just an issue on wet sleevers.. there were issues on navistar 7.3's using the wrong coolant which are non-wet-sleeve engines..

some peiople with ford 7.3's installed the navistar water pump that the 444E uses so a time-release filter could be installed.. red coolant in a 444E has a definite serial number cutoff.. lots of cvhanges were made to that engine in 99.5. which allowed it to use ford gold or ELC red coolant..

the blue coolant seems to be lethal to navistar engines.. ive heard more than one issue with DT-466E's being damaged by use of blue (cummins?) coolants..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, coolant, hoses