Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 789
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Thomas Shorty Tow Hitch

Hi,

Anyone out there find a tow bar for a Thomas Short Bus?

IDK if thereís common measurements for frame rails. On this Chevy Express the frame rail measures 39 1/2Ē on center. I need a 4Ē drop to clear the bumper.

Thanks!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
Almost There
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 88
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
I haven't ordered this stuff yet, but what I've found so far for a Chevy chassis is

https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Produc.../dp/B01CIO5XDO

https://www.etrailer.com/p-118392.html#/
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,580
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Not clear if you are looking for a tow bar for the front or a trailer hitch for the back?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 789
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Not clear if you are looking for a tow bar for the front or a trailer hitch for the back?
Trailer hitch.

So far the only thing Iíve found are the universal hitches that need to be welded.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 789
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd View Post
I haven't ordered this stuff yet, but what I've found so far for a Chevy chassis is

https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Produc.../dp/B01CIO5XDO

https://www.etrailer.com/p-118392.html#/
I thought the frame rails on the Thomas are wider than the stock Express/Savanna. But now Iím wondering. Iíll do some more research and reply back.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
farok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 278
Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
How long of a bus is it? One other point to consider (and one I also have, as I'd like a hitch as well), is on the long short buses (is that right?). They weld extra frame rail to the end of the existing frame rails, to get the full length. Is there any concern welding or bolting a hitch to the extended frame rails on these? I would think not, assuming the original extension was welded properly, but can't hurt to ask the experts here!

Chris
__________________
My build thread: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/fi...ild-25804.html
farok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 789
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
How long of a bus is it? One other point to consider (and one I also have, as I'd like a hitch as well), is on the long short buses (is that right?). They weld extra frame rail to the end of the existing frame rails, to get the full length. Is there any concern welding or bolting a hitch to the extended frame rails on these? I would think not, assuming the original extension was welded properly, but can't hurt to ask the experts here!

Chris
I wouldn’t worry about that in a vehicle that’s already done a 100K miles. It’s assured that the designers and builders of school buses aren’t going to put a bus body on a substandard frame.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 588
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Would like one on mine as well.
While it will be more costly than a DIY installation, I'll be going to U-Haul for the professional install when the time comes...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,580
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Around $20, strong as any commercial product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190701_164048 (4).jpg (101.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20190715_140054 (1).jpg (127.3 KB, 27 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:08 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 789
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Around $20, strong as any commercial product.
I was thinking about that. My bus has a stack of four half inch steel plates between the c channels right about where the hitch would go. I assume itís ballast? Thanks for sharing that.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:38 AM   #11
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,580
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I was thinking about that. My bus has a stack of four half inch steel plates between the c channels right about where the hitch would go. I assume itís ballast? Thanks for sharing that.
I got lucky that there was a frame crossmember 8" behind the bumper. So I took a 1/4" steel plate and welded it to the cross member, then welded the receiver to the plate and all the way around the bumper. It ain't going nowhere. My fold up ramp slids in that hole and sits on a rack behind the plate.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #12
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,786
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
"It ain't going nowhere." Famous last words like let there be light, remember that debacle with the tail lights?



Not what I would call professional welding. Do you think your ins company will approve that? Not enough weld , no place for chain connections, doesn't look like the paint and rust was ground off before welding. Cheap yes, but no excellence built into that for someone with so much experience.
This is why insurance companies don't like home built projects.

I wouldn't be trusting that


John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,580
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
"It ain't going nowhere." Famous last words like let there be light, remember that debacle with the tail lights?



Not what I would call professional welding. Do you think your ins company will approve that? Not enough weld , no place for chain connections, doesn't look like the paint and rust was ground off before welding. Cheap yes, but no excellence built into that for someone with so much experience.
This is why insurance companies don't like home built projects.

I wouldn't be trusting that


John
Well John, again,you are wrong on all accounts. Everything was ground to bare metal before welding by a professional. My insurance company has no regulations that I know of for mounting a hitch, nor would they have any issue with what I have.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,786
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
That is not professionally done by any means, you got taken if you paid for that. Sure you didn't weld it?
I have seen much better welding fail...just sayinn
If I were buying that bus and saw that I's run away fast! I thought you were building for ROI, hoping foir 50 or 60k$?



John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,580
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
That is not professionally done by any means, you got taken if you paid for that. Sure you didn't weld it?
I have seen much better welding fail...just sayinn
If I were buying that bus and saw that I's run away fast! I thought you were building for ROI, hoping foir 50 or 60k$?



John
You're delusional.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #16
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,786
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Well 01, whatever that stands for, you numero uno?



How did that (welder? )ever get a ticket to work professionally?


Is that how low a standard you are building your bus to? With all your experience, how can you allow such "shoddy" workmanship? That bus could be a showplace but it ain't even close, so 60g's might be out of line bud.



Better get that baby xrayed if you know what I mean, lottsa grapes showing.



A chimp can weld better than that with its left foot.


Whatcha plan on towing with that? With or without chains? Will you have trailer brakes? Easy to wire now while you fix the light mishap, no autopsy pics yet?


01marc, the burning man.. lights, skin, whatever


John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,580
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Well 01, whatever that stands for, you numero uno?



How did that (welder? )ever get a ticket to work professionally?


Is that how low a standard you are building your bus to? With all your experience, how can you allow such "shoddy" workmanship? That bus could be a showplace but it ain't even close, so 60g's might be out of line bud.



Better get that baby xrayed if you know what I mean, lottsa grapes showing.



A chimp can weld better than that with its left foot.


Whatcha plan on towing with that? With or without chains? Will you have trailer brakes? Easy to wire now while you fix the light mishap, no autopsy pics yet?


01marc, the burning man.. lights, skin, whatever


John
Show me where I said it would be worth $60k or STFU


FYI- 01 was my race car number, 2 Nascar Championships and 60 feature wins.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #18
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,786
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Show me where I said it would be worth $60k or STFU


FYI- 01 was my race car number, 2 Nascar Championships and 60 feature wins.



Well, you know how you like to tell people their bus isn't worth what they are asking, that is you isn't it?
Somebody about a week ago posted their bus and you said yours should be worth 50 to 60k. It's on record here somewhere, no denying that.


Impressive numbers indeed. What was your part in those races. Driver or head welding inspector for Nascar?


So show us some more of your work. How are you going to connect that metallic cable to your incoming ac power source?


What do you think that bus is going to be worth if not 60g's? Maybe break even, it's just one mistake after another mr experience.
So you .... no I'll show a bit more class than that statement of yours.



Buses are fun to build aren't they 01? problems, decisions, oh my!

How do you keep your insanity?



John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,580
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Not worth the waste of time.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #20
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,786
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Not worth the waste of time.



Did you google that too for the folks?


It's ok just another bad day at the bus for you.


John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow hitch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×