Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Just noticed your description...
so my advice, go with the Vista! Especially if it has no wheelwells like mine so nice to have a large flat floor. I have just under 100 square feet of flat living space in the Vista.

Shorty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty22 View Post
Just noticed your description...
so my advice, go with the Vista! Especially if it has no wheelwells like mine so nice to have a large flat floor. I have just under 100 square feet of flat living space in the Vista.
Okaaaay, but can you, as an owner, address the numerous posts about harsh ride quality and engine heat and noise?
Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Engine heat is not an issue for me so far. Just be easy on her, especially up hill.
My springs could use some work in the rear, so yes it's a bumpy ride.
To me, it makes for an experience!
Am working on a "dogbox" to build a sound-insulated plywood box with cupholders above the engine compartment, since it is large and right next to the drivers seat. Used dynamat type stuff all around the front of the drivers cab.
It's definitely not a car or normal truck, so expect that at the get-go! It's definitely a fun ride and will last a long time.
Height clearance from the road is another issue for me. If I could do it again, I would love to find a 4x4 rig, with higher ground clearance...but with that, you would have another set of rig qualities to consider and balance what's right for you, and what you intend to use it for!
Shorty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty22 View Post
Engine heat is not an issue for me so far. Just be easy on her, especially up hill.
My springs could use some work in the rear, so yes it's a bumpy ride.
To me, it makes for an experience!
Am working on a "dogbox" to build a sound-insulated plywood box with cupholders above the engine compartment, since it is large and right next to the drivers seat. Used dynamat type stuff all around the front of the drivers cab.
It's definitely not a car or normal truck, so expect that at the get-go! It's definitely a fun ride and will last a long time.
Height clearance from the road is another issue for me. If I could do it again, I would love to find a 4x4 rig, with higher ground clearance...but with that, you would have another set of rig qualities to consider and balance what's right for you, and what you intend to use it for!
Last year I did the Pacific coast highway trip from LA to San Francisco, in my sporty and stiff (but stock) fiesta st wife was car sick from the bouncing and complaining about how stiff it was. So maybe not a good place to start with our first skoolie.

I'm right now in the process of getting a 4 window 2003 e350 thomas 7.3 powerstroke with 123k. Think it will fit the bill better for us, only us 2 and want it for weekend camping.
Bpjr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Dynamat (or in my case Hushmat because its still rated high and costs less) really has made a different in Noise in the front driver area of my DEV bus.. dynamat wont touch footwell heat, other than stickit it down tioghtly around all of the places where wires, hoses, and linkages come through the firewall might stop a little air)... using an insulated layer on top of the dynamat will help with the heat.. and of course good Air-Conditioning.. I point one of my vents into my footwell which make the footwell cool..

mine isnt a Vista but I have a doghouse for the DT engine..

building a heat and sound insulated box over the dog house in my opinion is a great idea as long as its simply latched down like the OEM doghouse is so you can take it up easily and at will without tools..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
My first bus was a 5 window Vista, and I thought it was great. The ride ws stiff but not THAT stiff. Build quality was never an issue. We sold it because we wanted more room after living in it for a year and traveling the country.

Any front engine bus is going to be loud. The ones with the engine partially or fully in the cab will be louder than the ones with them separated by a firewall or in the rear. My Vista was quieter than my old Trans Am and comparable to the volume in my current TC2000. As Christopher mentioned, you can take steps to quiet them down some. I didn't bother with mine.

As far as heat goes, I got way more through the glass than from the motor.

I haven't ridden in a full length Vista, but I've heard that they aren't as good as the short ones.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpjr07 View Post
Good info I'm now pushed more toward a e450 4 window.

Know a guy here in california that can get me a 97-03 ford 7.3 e450 with about 100k miles thomas registered as rv, stripped, will insulation and flooring done for $6000 might go this route and save me a bunch of time and hasle!

Clean slate to do my interior
Can you hook us up?
KamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamBam View Post
Can you hook us up?
Look on Public Surplus. There are a ton of clean running 7.3 shorties that are being retired. CHEAP and nice.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #29

Yeah but they don’t have the demo, the floor, the this and the thaat chyaknow? I’d buy up a bus with just the demo and insulation done in a heartbeat. They seem like the most daunting task.
KamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamBam View Post
Yeah but they don’t have the demo, the floor, the this and the thaat chyaknow? I’d buy up a bus with just the demo and insulation done in a heartbeat. They seem like the most daunting task.
If the demo is daunting bring it to me I'll do it cheap.
I'd rather do some extra demo work than have a lesser bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote