Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Thoughts on a couple shortys?

Hey y'all.

Have a couple of options I'n looking that.

Option 1: Thoughts on a 1986 international S1700 shorty...8 cylinder Diesel engine. 4 speed automatic...they said 6.9 liter. It has 178745 miles. Tires in good shape. Last owned by a church. They just replaced the air filter, 2 different fuel filters, all fuel injector hoses, glow plugs, and glow plug relay.Asking for $4500 cash only. Overall, pics look pretty good and I like the look of these older internationals.... first attached.

Option 2: 1998 international. Got less information on this one. t444e motor. not sure transmission type. air breaks. 140k miles. Current owner seems a lil either hesitant on sharing information, or just doesn't care/know info. $3500 but say's price is negotiable. This one is definitely in my sweetspot price wise, and closest distance wise (still 7 or so hours away though ) Second attached.

Option 3: 2001 international 3800. Seems to be in really good condition from all the pics. 189,000k miles, Detroit Diesel, 4 speed automatic. Also last owned by church. I got some info on Detroit Diesels last night, which was helpful but anyone else care to chime in. Asking $5,000. Third attached.

I've been shopping on Facebook market, which seems to have an abundance of the type of size bus I'm looking for. Has anyone had experience with purchasing through Facebook market? I definitely want to make it out to see/test drive all of these, but I'm 7-11 hours away from all of them, so not really a practical option.

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 4.28.40 PM.png   Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 4.29.02 PM.png   Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 5.01.47 PM.jpg  

aye_oka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I don't know anything about the older bus. Obviously lots of people like older buses, and I have to admit I appreciate the styling of many older buses. But the older the vehicle the more renovation/maintenance is likely to be required. Not a hard & fast rule, but generally speaking...

The second bus I assume, based on '4-speed auto' comes with an AT545, which is not the ideal transmission from what I've read here. We have the 2003 version of that exact same bus, with the same engine, but an Allison 2000 (5 speed) trans, which apparently is much preferred. The engine does quite well with this size bus, and I'm happy thus far with the t444e. Plenty to read about it on the forum here. Mileage seems reasonable. Air brakes are either a plus or minus depending on your viewpoint, particularly on a smaller bus where you could probably make the argument either way (our has air brakes, and I'm happy it does).

The last one, I'm a bit confused. Obviously a Bluebird. I'm guessing it's a 3800 chassis, but it's still a Bluebird. And the engine... the hood emblem says DT466. So I don't get the 'Detroit Diesel'. Was the engine swapped? Anyway, if it is what it's pictured as - with a DT466 - and came with an Allison 1000/2000, it could be a good choice.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I suspect #3 has a Navistar DT-466.

It is not uncommon for folks to mistakenly think that "DT" in DT-466 stands for "Detroit".

To confuse things a bit, Detroit did buy bare DT-466's, add their own fuel system and accessories. Memory is failing but I think they called it the "Series 40".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Hey y'all.

Thanks a ton Hubbard and Steve! Appreciate it. And yep, you were right about the Detroit misunderstanding. The current owner doesn't know the transmission type. There should be a plate located somewhere underneath the hood, correct? Could I also find this out with a VIN? Based on some new attached photos, do y'all happen to know?

I'm leaning towards the bluebird because it's conditions seems to be pretty top, but don't want the trans to be a 545, as I've read these aren't good combos.

Thanks again for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 3.49.39 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 3.49.32 PM.png  
Old 07-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Go for choices 3, 2, 1, in that order.

The third has the DT466, a fine engine The white roof will help repel some heat.
The second has the T444, adequate in a short bus.
The first has the 6.9 which is adequate for city driving but slow on the hills.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #6

Great. Thanks for the answers everyone. I'll let y'all know the next move. Waiting on the seller at the moment.

Tags
international, options, shortys